Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 3:29:48 PM EDT
This is the problem I'm having.

There are at least 2 websites that I visit that IE will no longer open, I get the The page cannot be displayed screen or The page cannot be displayed screen.

I know the sites are still around because I can open them up and ue them just fine with my AOL browser.

Whats going on? They used to open just fine and now I get squat!?

Help help!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope I cleared the cache and cookies first off.

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you hit the refresh button when you get the "unable to open" message? If not, try it first. IE caches webpages and might be retrieving the "unable to open" screen from its cache/temp internet files folder...
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope... still no go.

I've tried lowering the security to the lowest setting, killed my pop up stopper, and disabled hacktracer.

Still no joy.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
It may also depend on what version of IE you are running. Did you upgrade recently to a newer version.
IE 6.0 has new privacy features that block some pages or web sites if it doesn't recognize something, or if the page trys a redirect.
IE 5.5 sp2 with a couple of patches, and the same patch to IE 6.0 will cause problems with some domain names, because it blocks some cookies if it thinks someone is trying to spoof a website sending you a cookie.
If it is an earlier version than that, I am not sure what else to try other than seeing if it will load in netscape.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
ACK!  Nothing is working, so today for the heck of it I tried the sites and WHAM!  There they are they work.  However now a couple of hours later they don't.

WTF?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top