Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2002 1:51:22 PM EDT
I need a new 19" monitor, anyone have any suggestions. I currently have a KDS, that I'm not to thrilled with. If anyone wants it, it will more than likely be laying outside my window in about 2 minutes. Thanks for your help.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
NEC FE950+

AWESOME picture quality !!

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Samsung 955DF for over a year. Very pleased.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Samsung 900NF for my department at work and I like it quite a bit.  I have a KDS at home that is mediocre.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a NEC FE950+, and while generally happy with it, it does have one annoying aspect.  When the screen is showing either complete blackness or dark graphics, a subtle red tint can be seen.  I've spent a moderate amount of time fiddling with the monitor's color adjustments and adjusting color through windows, but I can't get it to go completely away.

I've been thinking about getting rid of it since before last september, but it's not so bad that I can't live with it.  It is really subtle; for example, the gray on this page can be seen to have an ever so slight red tint to it if I concentrate.  Sometimes in games it's more pronounced.

Viewsonic's have a good reputation.  My next monitor (at least a 19, maybe 21 inch) will be another NEC or a Viewsonic
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need a new 19" monitor, anyone have any suggestions. I currently have a KDS, that I'm not to thrilled with. If anyone wants it, it will more than likely be laying outside my window in about 2 minutes. Thanks for your help.  
View Quote

Hmm...where you at in Ohio?  Is the monitor not functioning correctly, or are you just unhappy with the quality?  What model is it?

As far as a replacement goes, are you set on a CRT, or would you consider an LCD?  I think LCDs are way better (lighter, easier on the eyes, smaller footprint, the list goes on).  A nice 18" LCD (starting around $600) would give you as much or more viewing area as a 19" CRT.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a NEC MultiSync E900+ that I'm very happy with. It was $400, delivered 2 years ago.
Whatever you decide on, shop around for the best price.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a NEC MultiSync XE17 (yes, I know it's just a 17" monitor), and I'm still quite happy with it after all those years :)
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had a Sony Trinitron Multiscan E400 flatscreen for quite a while now and it has worked great for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a ViewSonic G90F (21 inch monitor).
Yep, it's large, the picture is nice and my desk is large.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]

I second the Viewsonic. I have the 21" A110. Good value over the high end names ( Sony,NEC)

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve got a Viewsonic PF790, which I’m extremely happy with.  

That being said, I agree with fizassist, go for an LCD model if you can.  CRT models are both large and heavy – if you get one, make sure you’ve got enough desk to handle it.

You might want to check out the following sites for any recent reviews of monitors:

[url]www.cnet.com/[/url]

[url]www.zdnet.com/products/filter/landing_main/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 19" viewsonic and I hate it!
The screen is very dark! And yes I have the contrast and brightness all the way up. Details that people can see in pics I cannot see because its to dark. And yes I have looked at other veiwsonics and they look the same to me. I have a Sony trinitron TV and its the best pic I have ever seen,I also have a Proscan and it also has a very dark screen. Maybe its just me!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Hitachi SuperScan 751/752 which is 3 years old.  I love it.  It was editors choice in three different mags when I got it.  I do not know how Hitachi is doing now but they used to be really nice.  Honestly there are only 3 maybe four monitor manufactures.  They just put different cases and labels on the front.  Sony, Mitsuibishi, NEC and Nokia are all the same.  Viewsonic and Optiquest are the same.  Not sure about the rest.  I usually look at www.epinions.com or www.streetprices.com for prices/reviews.

Robert
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
No way on the Viewsonic (Panasonic)for me!!  Got one (21") with bad picture tube and the BASTARDS refuse to sell me one!!!!!

Am using a NEC P1150 and like it just fine.  I suggest you buy the finest dot-pitch you can afford and move on.  The LCD looks great but way too pricey still.  Just my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Another Samsung... 955SL and I love it...  The price was right too!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you buy don't buy it over the net. Shipping a monitor almost guarantees a broken unit. The vibration from all that movement damages the tube. Buy it from your local Best Buy. They ship in huge crates and you have a better chance of getting a good one. Plus, if yours breaks you can just take it back.

I have a POS CTX 19" but I'd love a 20" LCD!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Really?  I have them shipped in all the time.  Never had one damaged.  Ever hear of insurance?

Best buy or other retailer will cost you more for less.  Use one of the search bots and buy the best resolution you can afford.

Enjoy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top