Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 11:08:41 PM EDT

[url=http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/51796.htm]Terror Wary NYPD testing new assault weapon[/url]

---

TERROR-WARY NYPD TESTING NEW ASSAULT RIFLE

By LARRY CELONA

July 4, 2002   -- NYPD Emergency Service Unit cops are testing a [b]high-powered, long-range[/b]assault rifle they believe will help them in their war on terrorism, The Post has learned.

The department has 20 Colt M-4s, similar to weapons currently used by the Green Berets, Delta Force, Navy SEALs, FBI SWAT teams and other elite armed units.

If it passes tests, it would be used to replace the [b]mini M-14[/b] now in use, an NYPD spokesman said.

The new rifle, which fires .223-caliber bullets in three-round bursts, has been undergoing tests at the NYPD's outdoor range at Rodman's Neck in The Bronx.

It was also tested last month when ESU officers underwent training at Camp Smith in upstate Peekskill.

Cops who've tried the M-4 describe it as more modern than the mini M-14.

They said it's shorter, less cumbersome, more comfortable and much more accurate at long range.

[b]It can easily hit a target from a distance of 500 yards, making it perfect for use in sniper and hostage situations[/b], ESU cops said.

The mini M-14 isn't dependable at more than 100 yards, they noted.

The M-4 also has a collapsible stock, and is tailored for use when light weight and quick action are required.

And its [b].233[/b]-caliber bullets can pierce bulletproof vests.

ESU cops said they have been asking for the new rifle ever since the Sept. 11 attacks.

"This is the premiere assault rifle used in both this country and Britain," noted one ESU officer. "It would certainly help us in our war against terrorism."

The M-4 Assault Rifle

Manufacturer: Colt
Description: Lightweight, gas-operated, air-cooled, magazine-fed, shoulder-fired weapon with a collapsible stock
Weight: 5.6 pounds, empty
Length: 33.07 inches
Ammo: .223 caliber
Muzzle velocity: 3,027 feet per second

Magazine capacity: 20- or 30-shot
Firing range: 500 yards
Firing Options: It can fire in semi-automatic or three-round burst mode. The NYPD is testing the three-round mode - in which one squeeze of the trigger fires three rounds.
---

I've highlighted some of the dumb comments by the reporter.

BTW, is there such a thing as the mini M-14? or are the talking about the mini-14?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It can easily hit a target from a distance of 500 yards, making it perfect for use in sniper and hostage situations, ESU cops said.

The mini M-14 isn't dependable at more than 100 yards, they noted.

The M-4 also has a collapsible stock, and is tailored for use when light weight and quick action are required.

And its .233-caliber bullets can pierce bulletproof vests.
View Quote

Sounds like an anti-gun article to me.

I think they used the wrong template.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Liberty, you not only highlighted them, you made them into "black hole" URLS LOL.
View Quote

Doh! I should have looked at my post. I fixed 'em now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top