Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 10:17:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Right on. Every one of us represents the whole black rifle community to outsiders, and we should always remember that when we make decisions on how to communicate and conduct ourselves.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't want to pick a scab for fear of the inevitible scarring, but I posted an IM shortly after the lock, to Sweep (my right hon. Friend from Moderatorville) to unlock the topic, if only to allow JasonF to apologize.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]

I read that post earlier and I totally concur with your take. Makes us all look bad.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh, by the way, Columbine turned me AVIDLY progun, because I saw all the hysterical emotional liberals calling for the blood of every gun owner in this country, and when they weren't doing that, they wanted us all in jail.  It seemed rather logical to me that the gun was not at fault, the evil inside Harris and Klebold was, but the antigunners didn't see it that way.  
Before, I had no interest one way or the other.
View Quote

[url=]http://www.kc3.com/editorial/columbine1.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
but this one is too full of potential.
I would have asked him if I could take a look at the vile things; examined them closely while letting out an occasional "Ohhhhhh" and "Ahhhhhh". Handed them back then say "I'm a little strapped for cash right now". "But, I'd be willing to trade my [i]limited edition Columbine Commemorative Hi-Capacity Carbine[/i] for them.
View Quote
This is what jumped out at me.
When we post on this website, we represent battle rifle/sport utility crowd to many people, and the entire firearm crowd to other people.  By our actions, our corner, and the entire industry, is judged.  If there is one thing that everyone of the 22,000 people registered at this site should be acutely aware of at all times, it is that Perception Is Reality.
I shall refer to another site as an example.  Assaultweb.net has/had the potential to be a brother site to AR15.com.  The direction of the whole site, however, went way off the deep end sometime back.  Those people who understand what happened blame the people involved and responsible.  Those who have been there and have seen some of the posts can perceive that every single poster at Assaultweb is the same high-strung, psychopathic loon who is out for some trigger time against the cops while munching down on spam.  Those who WANT to find fault with the gun industry need only to hit Assaultweb.  Thus, They become a representative for us - a very bad one.
If a person conducts oneself in the presence of somebody who is afraid of guns, but might be open to some critical thinking, by making jokes about Columbine, the very incident that turned thousands and thousands of people antigun, then we DO NOT need nor want that person among us.  Instead of expressing your individuality and making a joke, your kind will be the death of us, our hobby, and our industry.
Sweep, feel free to lock this if you feel it is too much, unnecessary, or trolling.
View Quote

I agree completely! A hesitant newbie to guns or a vascillating/waffling anti- can be pushed back over to the other side by reading crap like that.

Hopefully allowing a good, long public ass-whipping of that dumbshit on this forum will let ALL know that "jokes" like that is NOT what we're about.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
but this one is too full of potential.
I would have asked him if I could take a look at the vile things; examined them closely while letting out an occasional "Ohhhhhh" and "Ahhhhhh". Handed them back then say "I'm a little strapped for cash right now". "But, I'd be willing to trade my [i]limited edition Columbine Commemorative Hi-Capacity Carbine[/i] for them.
View Quote
This is what jumped out at me.
When we post on this website, we represent battle rifle/sport utility crowd to many people, and the entire firearm crowd to other people.  By our actions, our corner, and the entire industry, is judged.  If there is one thing that everyone of the 22,000 people registered at this site should be acutely aware of at all times, it is that Perception Is Reality.
I shall refer to another site as an example.  Assaultweb.net has/had the potential to be a brother site to AR15.com.  The direction of the whole site, however, went way off the deep end sometime back.  Those people who understand what happened blame the people involved and responsible.  Those who have been there and have seen some of the posts can perceive that every single poster at Assaultweb is the same high-strung, psychopathic loon who is out for some trigger time against the cops while munching down on spam.  Those who WANT to find fault with the gun industry need only to hit Assaultweb.  Thus, They become a representative for us - a very bad one.
If a person conducts oneself in the presence of somebody who is afraid of guns, but might be open to some critical thinking, by making jokes about Columbine, the very incident that turned thousands and thousands of people antigun, then we DO NOT need nor want that person among us.  Instead of expressing your individuality and making a joke, your kind will be the death of us, our hobby, and our industry.
Sweep, feel free to lock this if you feel it is too much, unnecessary, or trolling.
View Quote

Like I said on the last post, WELL SAID!!

Seriously, I NEVER talk about firearms at work, or at home.  The exceptions are with my hunting buddies at work, and personal friends I go shooting with.

I DO NOT BELIEVE in "Politically Correct" behavior, but why upset people, or give them a reason to go after our hobby.

I live in Colorado, and the wife's sister-in-law has a son & daughter that were at Columbine the day it went down.  Her daughters friend died in the incident.  All she would need to fuel her already over board anger about guns, is a bad joke like the one jasonF told.

Doublefeed you are exactly right, it reflects on all of us!!

starsil9
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IMHO, I am not a Christian, but I agree with Darrell Scott.
View Quote

I realize that "Testimony. . . " and many of the quotes suggest that this position is the exclusive domain of Christians, but this was not the emphasis of my reference.  [What was the emphasis was a lack of blame placed on firearms.]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh, by the way, Columbine turned me AVIDLY progun, because I saw all the hysterical emotional liberals calling for the blood of every gun owner in this country, and when they weren't doing that, they wanted us all in jail.  It seemed rather logical to me that the gun was not at fault, the evil inside Harris and Klebold was, but the antigunners didn't see it that way.  
Before, I had no interest one way or the other.
View Quote

How funny, it was Columbine that got me off the fence and into the shooting hobby.

I owned a Mini14 prior to the incident, and that was all.  

After Columbine, all the antigun propaganda, coupled with some REALLY strange things the cousins (daughter & son that were there) had told me about what they saw. Like what happened that did not get reported in the news.  I decided to start buying a few more firearms.  Figured better load up while I could still buy them legally!!

The collection is getting larger by the year!!

starsil9
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Jason, with our right to own firearms on the line, and under attack from countless angles, I find your poor attempt at humor way out of line.  If I was an ani, or boarderline, your comment about Columbine would have reenforced my feelings that gun owners are one step above Cro Magnon.

Whether or not you know it, our second ammendment rights were a victim that day also. We lost the security of knowing that we'd see our children after school.  We lost the ability to trust that our children make the right choices in life.

Comments like yours might go a long way towards making our right to own our weapons, and enjoy our sport another victim. My .02      
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no difference it what was stated it the above post,than in this post.You can play word games like the anti- 2nd amendment clowns do  if you wish.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no difference it what was stated it the above post,than in this post.You can play word games like the anti- 2nd amendment clowns do  if you wish.

View Quote
Some people, you just can't penetrate.
View Quote

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

You're keeping the post in public eyes by reposting  the post.

Now who is playing penetration!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#16]
DoubleFeed--  your kind will be the death of us
View Quote

Please consider that the media -- even foxnews are all stacked against us.  When you heard a progun story on any major network.  You want perception?

DoubleFeed  --  Columbine, the very incident that turned thousands and thousands of people antigun,
View Quote

Many of those people were antigun before Columbine, HCI, VPC all went in and whipped ( with the help of the press) in to a fervor, calling for more gun laws, Yet these people failed to realize that the gun is NOT the cause of violence in our society.  That is a complex subject and will not be delt with here.

DoubleFeed  we represent battle rifle/sport utility crowd to many people, and the entire firearm crowd to other people
View Quote

Just who are these people that you speak of. The general public, the non-gun owning public, the gun-owning public.  If you are carring your rifle anywhere but at a range people will look at you funny.  They let the gun define the man, they think that a gun in your hand is a danger to them.  It wont matter how nice you are to them.  There is perception.

DoubleFeed   Those who WANT to find fault with the gun industry need only to hit Assaultweb.
View Quote

You and I both know they wont have to look that hard, they look only to the media for stories about gun violence.  There are plenty of those, but since those stories are slanted, you will never get your side of the story printed.  Perception?

DoubleFeed   Instead of expressing your individuality and making a joke, your kind will be the death of us, our hobby, and our industry.
View Quote

First no joke was expressed at the time -- only as an after thought, disparaging remarks about the firearms in question were not introduced.  There would have been no intelligent discussion between the gentleman wanting to sell the guns.

thedave1164: he got these guns left to him from his father-in-law, and as he doesn't believe in weapons he wants to sell them" then louder he says "we don't need guns, especially handguns, in a civilized society" "Just look at great britian" he follows.
View Quote

I put it to you that this gentlemans mind is made up and locked.

Gunowners have in the last 44 years given up a lot and not gotten anything to show for it.  You think there is a reasonable compromise soloution to many problems.  When it comes to individual rights there is no compromise or the right is lost.  The reasonable compromise has no limits, one side gives up something in return for something else. What did we get for compromises.  don't say we got to keep our guns, we had those before. Rights are not to be abused or bartered for what we already have. There are many examples of this.  Hawaii is now a "mother may I state".  You must get permits any time you wnat to buy a gun, and to get the permits you must see the police to prove you are innocent and of good moral character.  You like that -- that's where compromise gets you.  

People who compromise their rights will be the death of not only the sport we enjoy, but this country as well.  Many on assault web understand this.

DoubleFeed  ... that every single poster at Assaultweb is the same high-strung, psychopathic loon who is out for some trigger time against the cops while munching down on spam.
View Quote

I think you owe a bunch of people an apology.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]
When I used to play Deltaforce online there was a guy who went by the name of "The Columbine Kid".

Why the hatred against assaultweb? I used to frequent that site and it wouldn't surprise me if current members here are participants there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
There's another current thread around here that gives US gun owners a bad perception, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top