Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2012 5:01:58 PM EDT
USA Today - About 79% of married couples who separate end up getting divorced, suggest new estimates of the incidence and length of separations.

"Separation is very common and is more common than immediate divorce," said researcher Dmitry Tumin of Ohio State University at a presentation at the annual meeting of the Population Association of America, which ended Sunday. "Most separations last one year or less, but a few drag on a decade or more before ending in divorce. Other separations stay unresolved."

The research found that the average length of a first separation is about four years. For respondents who divorce after separating, it's three years. And for the small number who reunite, the average separation is two years, the study found.

"In fact, we don't observe any separations that end with the couple getting back together after a three-year period, so three years is the point of no return," Tumin said. "After three years, the only outcomes observed are ongoing separation or divorce."
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
When I go out with my girlfriend, I tell people we are married.

But not to each other.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
<––––- 100% chance.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Only 79%? I would have thought it was closer to 95%. Just shows you 21% of people are too stupid to know when to EJECT.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only 79%? I would have thought it was closer to 95%. Just shows you 21% of people are too stupid to know when to EJECT.

I would like to retract my post, and simply quote this one, in agreeance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I need 2 votes.

And I have observed that when one mentions "divorce" the die is cast and the probability goes to nearly 100% that they will get a divorce.

The one who is most interested in staying married sacrifices everything.

The one least interested in staying married runs the show.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I got divorced 6 months ago, felt like the end of the world.  Today I am doing pretty good  buying gun stuff and there's no bitching from a significant other in sight!
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Seperation is mandatory in this state.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got divorced 6 months ago, felt like the end of the world.  Today I am doing pretty good  buying gun stuff and there's no bitching from a significant other in sight!

Once upon a time a Prince asked a beautiful Princess to marry him. She said 'NO!" And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and ****ed skinny big tittied broads and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank whiskey and beer and jager and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and made friends with cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was ****ing cool as hell and had tons of money in the banks and left the toilet seat up. The end.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I need 2 votes.

And I have observed that when one mentions "divorce" the die is cast and the probability goes to nearly 100% that they will get a divorce.

I had never heard of a separation lasting more than a year.  Multiple year separations?  Let it go if you cannot work it out in 6 months.  Hell, 6 weeks is long enough to figure out it aint going to work.

I love my wife, we have been together for almost 17 years.  Cannot imagine living without her.  If she chose to 'take time away' I would still only allow about 6 weeks until I went to get the papers ready (while taking appropriate measures to protect assets, etc.)

Holding on that long wastes time if both parties are not dedicated to making things work and it will not take that long for the less dedicated party to show their colors.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
There are very few who haven't been divorced or separated...
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seperation is mandatory in this state.

How long?
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Very few who?  Last stat I heard was 50% of marriages eventually end in divorce . . . that means that 50% don't.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I married two bitches and they both cheated......THEY CAN BOTH FUCK OFF!
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
When it's over, you know it.  When you know it, GTFO of there and move on with your life.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very few who?  Last stat I heard was 50% of marriages eventually end in divorce . . . that means that 50% don't.
I very rarely run into a couple who have been married to each other longterm

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly, I'm separated right now, we are still married. I left last October. I was the one that left her. Just waiting on the paperwork. Shes told me she will do anything to delay it. Keeps changing things in the paperwork so its delayed more and more.

The best part. Saw her and her boyfriend at the ball game the other night. Shes the type that "has" to be with someone though.

So Ive had 2 bad marriages.
The first one left me.
The second one wont.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Isn't divorcing no separation and divorcing without trying separation the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I need 2 votes.

absolute truth
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where do you find ur women? Maybe try some extenze?
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once upon a time a Prince asked a beautiful Princess to marry him. She said 'NO!" And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and ****ed skinny big tittied broads and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank whiskey and beer and jager and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and made friends with cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was ****ing cool as hell and had tons of money in the banks and left the toilet seat up. And in his old age, lived lonely and unloved in some nursiong home where the orderlies smacked him around until one day he died.  Alone. The end.

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Know what the leading cause of divorce is?

Marriage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Clearly, you know how to pick 'em...
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you consider long term?  My wife and I have been married 15 years, and together for 20.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I voted I am love Bubba

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a mighty interesting trend in that poll there...
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the other %50 ends in death................

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is a mighty interesting trend in that poll there...

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#29]
My mom and dad separated when i was a maybe 8. Dad got another place and in a few months they got divorced. A few months later back together and back home but didn't remarry till he was diagnosed with cancer so atleast he died a married man.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need 2 votes.

absolute truth

My first wife had a big build up and eventually asked me for a divorce. I sat there for a full 30 seconds (I counted) and then agreed. Because I had no reservations I owned the entire process after that. It helped that she was a stupid cheating whore that could not think 1 week in front of her nose.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
My brother's ex wanted to do the "separation" experiment.
He told her that they could just get divorced to keep from wasting the time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I voted I am love Bubba  

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I was separated from my first wife for almost as long as we were married, would have taken longer to file but my current wife found out that separated didn't mean divorced and she flipped out...
A lot.

T

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once upon a time a Prince asked a beautiful Princess to marry him. She said 'NO!" And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and ****ed skinny big tittied broads and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank whiskey and beer and jager and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and made friends with cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was ****ing cool as hell and had tons of money in the banks and left the toilet seat up. And in his old age, lived lonely and unloved in some nursiong home where the orderlies smacked him around until one day he died.  Alone. The end.

FIFY

Or maybe he had a heart attack or stroked out while balls deep in a 24yo...

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or that 79% of people make poor fucking decisions in regards to someone else's character and do nothing to nip shit in the bud until it's too late.,
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even that stat can be misleading.  That stat comes from a combination of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc marriages.

First marriages succeed something like 60% of the time.  Second marriages fail something like 60+% of the time, third marriages fail even more often.  Pool them all together and you end up with an average of 50% divorce rate.  However, most first marriages succeed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense intended, but of all demographics don't Jews have some of the highest divorce rates in the nation?

I've known of several divorces, but most people I know are still making their first marriage work.  My own parents are celebrating their 45th anniversary this year.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you consider long term?  My wife and I have been married 15 years, and together for 20.

Congrats, man!  We recently celebrated 14 years married at my house.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#39]
A buddy of mine seperated from his wife.  He moved out to a shop on his parents property.  She stayed in the house, drove his cars, didnt work.  
She milked him for about three years before they finally divorced.  He was pretty much her bitch.  Every time he started to pull the eject handle, she would rekindle the relationship and he would fall for it.  

He didnt want anyones advice about it.  Sometimes, you cannot help stupid.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or that 79% of people make poor fucking decisions in regards to someone else's character and do nothing to nip shit in the bud until it's too late.,

Guilty.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#41]
28 years and still going strong with the one and only marriage.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#42]
If we're going to get "separated" I'm not coming back.

Ot's simply a prelude to the formal paperwork,
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once upon a time a Prince asked a beautiful Princess to marry him. She said 'NO!" And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and ****ed skinny big tittied broads and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank whiskey and beer and jager and never heard bitching and never paid child support or alimony and made friends with cheerleaders and kept his house and guns and never got cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought he was ****ing cool as hell and had tons of money in the banks and left the toilet seat up. And in his old age, lived lonely and unloved in some nursing home where the orderlies smacked him around until one day he died.  Alone. The end.

FIFY

And if he married he might outlive his wife and end up alone, or she might get tired of caring for him and send him off to the nursing home to be smacked around by low paid, miserable people.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Being married is no assurance that you will not die alone.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have never been married or divorced. I'm that prince from a few posts above. Never been married and never will be.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

OOPS, double-tap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Uhhh,no... I am planning on dying at a ripe old age entwined in an exotic beauty.

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#48]
If you do the research you will find that more that 50% of both men and women have affairs.  Those are the numbers from the people who will admit it.  Fact is that the biological drives will lead most to affairs or cheating.  Sorry to break the news but that is what research shows.  Look it up.

So based on those facts, you have to deal with that possibility in a marriage.  The decision is how you would handle it.  

Lots of folks do not like to hear this.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Worked for me!

Haven't been happier with my next wife!

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#50]
MD requires a 1 year separation prior to divorce.

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top