BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2002 6:23:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with you about the lunacy of over priced, slave labor produced, name brand clothes.  Unfortunately, that's not to say that I don't wear those kinds of clothes, but luckily I have always known people who work in those stores so I never pay full price. [:)]

My suggestion is to give them all a gift certificate to their favorite store.  Something like $50 or so (though that would basically only buy one atricle of clothing) sounds reasonable.  I think this is your best bet, and it saves you the hassle of having to go into those stores (ugh) and picking something out, worrying if they'll like it.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
And to think I had this discussion with one of the baggy pants underwear showing too large backwards ballcap wearing 18 year old white guy that work for me.

Me: "What the fuck are you wearing?"
18: "Chill, iz FUBU."
Me: "FUBAR?"
18: "F U B U"
Me: "What is a FUBU?"
18: "For Us By Us, old guy."
Me: What does that mean?"
18: "Iz clothes designed by hip-hoppers for urban gear wearing people."
ME: "I though you guys didn't like name stuff, Tommy, Crew, DNKN, you wanted to make a statement."
18: "I iz, I am wearing the fly shiiiznet. Old guy, you don't get it. This was made by brothers for brothers and there ain't no old white guys getting rich off of it."
Me: "Oh yea, who loaned the money to FUBU to go public? Who grows the cotton or runs the plastics plants to make the fabric? Who owns the textile manufacturing plants? Who owns the trucking companies? Who owns the magazines, the radio stations, the TV stations, cable, the advertising firms? What about the stores where it is sold? Who is giving their under 18 year old white kids the money to buy this shit?"
18: (scratches his head) "Huh?"
Me: "Figures."

Hehehe, another bubble burst!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And to think I had this discussion with one of the baggy pants underwear showing too large backwards ballcap wearing 18 year old white guy that work for me.

Me: "What the fuck are you wearing?"
18: "Chill, iz FUBU."
Me: "FUBAR?"
18: "F U B U"
Me: "What is a FUBU?"
18: "For Us By Us, old guy."
Me: What does that mean?"
18: "Iz clothes designed by hip-hoppers for urban gear wearing people."
ME: "I though you guys didn't like name stuff, Tommy, Crew, DNKN, you wanted to make a statement."
18: "I iz, I am wearing the fly shiiiznet. Old guy, you don't get it. This was made by brothers for brothers and there ain't no old white guys getting rich off of it."
Me: "Oh yea, who loaned the money to FUBU to go public? Who grows the cotton or runs the plastics plants to make the fabric? Who owns the textile manufacturing plants? Who owns the trucking companies? Who owns the magazines, the radio stations, the TV stations, cable, the advertising firms? What about the stores where it is sold? Who is giving their under 18 year old white kids the money to buy this shit?"
18: (scratches his head) "Huh?"
Me: "Figures."

Hehehe, another bubble burst!
View Quote

We have had a problems  afew times,but that is some funny shit there.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Take them to the mall and let them get those hot-pink bare-midriff tee-shirts that have "SLUT" written over the tits in red glitter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Take them to the mall and let them get those hot-pink bare-midriff tee-shirts that have "SLUT" written over the tits in red glitter.
View Quote

YEAH!!! I LIKE THEM GIRLIES!!!!!!!![:P]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Heh..

When I was in HS, Levis jeans (since I liked the fit better than ... brand) and a plain T-shirt or sweatshirt (weather dependant) sufficed for me (still do)...

Of course, I never really cared that much, so long as it fit...

My sister, on the other hand, was (is) a clothes horse (with an emphasis on the overpriced kind)... Never understood that (still don't, so she rags on me for my 'overpriced hick car' ('91 Firebird), and I (used to) bug her about her clothes habit)...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Route 66.

Kmart brand.

Good stuff for cheap.  If they are pretentious little shits, just use a razor blade to cut out the tags.  Of course, I was never the trandy type, not that it mattered considering I went to a military school in high school.  When they get to college they will buy shit for cheap and appreciate it, believe me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Purchase the guys some BDU pants or shorts in a nice solid eartht tone color and a nice t shirt of the gun mfgr of their choice

Purchase the girls some super koochie cutter camo shorts (may depend on weight and age...  nah, just weight) and a nice baby doll or spaghetti strap top depending on size of breasts.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Now this shit is why the military requires the same haircuts and clothing! It's sad that kids have to buy this crap just to keep from being ridiculed by their friends. But that is why they want it. They feel this is what it takes to be accepted and cool. My choice of clothing is still sleeveless t-shirts and BDU pants or Levi's when I can wear them. At work I will bother putting on a Polo shirt and perhaps a pair of dress pants, but damn I hate to. LOL.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:14:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Just buy em the damn clothes and quit being cheap. If they just get one shirt from A&F instead of 10 from K-Mart then that is what they get. If you got out and buy them something that they don't like, then it will never get worn and will be a bigger waste of your money than if you had bought them what they wanted.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Try explaining to them what a "herd mentality" is. Let them know, that "who you are" isn't what you wear, drive, earn, or material "accomplishments".......
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
They're still kids, buy them what they want.  In a few years, they'll learn the value of a dollar better when they're the ones earning it.  You'll never get that point through to them at their current age.  Once its their own sweat and hard work earning their money, they'll quickly come to the realization that the only difference between the plain $3 Haynes T-shirt and the $30 CK T-shirt is their hard earned $27 in Calvin Klien's pocket.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Greetings,

FUBU

Farmers Useta' Beat Us

14/88

ktmhk53
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If they're smart kids - just tell 'em what's up!

Zachary, my 11 year old, will be shopping with me and he'll say something like "that's cool, but it costs too much - that price is crazy".  [:D]

ripstop all the way, Hank!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where can I see these shirts being worn??????
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Whenever I think about teen fashions, I'm reminded of the [url=www.despair.com/connot.html]Despair.com[/url] statement on conformity:  "When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other."
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#20]
My 26 year old son wears clothes courtsey of his Uncle Sam. My 19 year old daughter wears jeans and tee shirts (she gets them in yard sales and consignment shops). My youngest daughter 16 makes a lot of her own stuff. They hate to spend the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top