Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2002 12:33:16 PM EDT
Walked out in the front yard about sundown last night and found a rattlesnake coiled near the base of a mesquite tree. I decided not to try and catch it, so I took a shot at it with a 4" S&W .357, from about 10 feet. I missed the snake, but hit the tree trunk. The slug came right back at me and snatched the hat off my head.
Had the slug been a little lower, would this qualify for a Darwin, or would it just be chalked up to bad luck?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhhhhhhh. Yes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you reproduced?  

Definitely Darwin material if you haven't!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, but you do rate an Honourable Mention for using a slug.  Anyone who spends a significant amount of time in snake country should know to keep pistol shot loads handy for just these encounters...

Also an Honourable Mention for aiming in the general direction of an object which can cause ricochets...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
A .357 Mag bullet while still at maximum MV, ricocheted 180degrees off of a tree trunk????
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about you but I'd keep that hat close and be thankful that it didn't hit lower.
By the way did you take the second shot at the snake?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A few inches lower and you would have been given the Darwin Award posthumously. Thankfully, you're alright...
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
That was really bad. I hope you learn from your mistakes. I won't bad mouth you that much because I did the same thing as a kid with a pellet gun(bad backstop-I wasn't shooting at a poor helpless baby rattler)[:(]. Next just wear some khaki shorts, talk to the snake with a bad Aussie accent and try to pick it up!! [:P]
Any way I'm Glad you aliright.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
A little off topic but..... Does anyone else see the irony his screen name. [:D]
Sorry couldn't resist
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I was counting on the tree trunk to act as a backstop. I did not think the bullet would ricochet off the trunk of the tree. It hit the trunk right where it curves coming out of the ground. Left a scar in the bark about 3" long bottom to top. No penetration at all. I thought it must have been a piece of bark that came back, but there doesn't seem to be a large enough piece missing to take my hat off my head.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
By the way did you take the second shot at the snake?
View Quote

No. He came out in the open a little while later, so I caught him, took him up the mountain a couple of miles and turned him loose.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Why the hell did you shoot at him from 10 feet?  I'da cut the little bastards head off with a shovel and ate him that night.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
How about we just give you a 'Honorable Mention' for effort .
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey man, don't hate me because the TPD have made my life a living hell for 10 years.  I'm the most law abiding mofo you'll ever meet.  However, I got a serious problem when the police personally harrass me and my family.  I've had good friends that are retired cops but I didn't know them when they were cops.  It just seems to me that generally speaking cops are corrupted by their power and forget that they are public servants, not thugs with guns.

**EDIT TO ADD**  Only dumb tourist get killed by rattlesnakes [;D].
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was counting on the tree trunk to act as a backstop. I did not think the bullet would ricochet off the trunk of the tree. It hit the trunk right where it curves coming out of the ground. Left a scar in the bark about 3" long bottom to top. No penetration at all. I thought it must have been a piece of bark that came back, but there doesn't seem to be a large enough piece missing to take my hat off my head.
View Quote

one of those concrete trees, was it?

it was probably just the snake shooting back.
next time use a shovel or some shot-shells

by the way, rattlesnake is really good boiled into stew.  taste like chicken

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Hehe!  God damn it!  Rattlesnake don't taste like no friggin chicken!  It taste like rattlesnake!  Damn it, everyone says it taste like chicken.

P.S.- It's pretty good breaded and pan fried too.  It's one of my favorite meats.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#17]
How big was the rattler any way? Well at least you are still here and able to laugh about it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
3 words,
"38 shot shell"
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Panzies[;D].  Who the hell even needs a gun to kill a li'l snke?  Just grab it and bite the li'l prick's head off!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
WL - Haven't you ever heard of snake shot?

Next time you try a stunt like that make sure to have someone videotape it.  I thought people got their hats shot off only in old Western movies.

I always carry a canvas bank-type coin bag in my truck in case I encounter a rattler or any other critter that needs to be relocated.  (Killing a rattler in Californistan is frowned upon unless it's threatening a person or you need it for food.)
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd have cought the bastard and cut off his rattle. Hung that from my rearview mirror as a constant reminder of THINKING before I do something potentially dangerous...

Then pan fry him... [:)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#23]
As a general rule, I would rather move them, then shoot them. Occasionally, when the snake is in an area that is difficult to get to, or is already agitated, or both, I shoot them.
You guys are right. they do taste very good. My personal preference is cooked on the bbq. Good stuff, Maynard.[:)]
I quit carrying shotshells in anything after having some trouble with illegals a few months back.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Well actually it goes farther back to my dads early 20's where 3 cops were hired by a drug dealer to beat his friend to death who stole some money.  It tarnished my families name and it's quite annoying.  If only you knew...
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well actually it goes farther back to my dads early 20's where 3 cops were hired by a drug dealer to beat his friend to death who stole some money.  It tarnished my families name and it's quite annoying.  If only you knew...
View Quote

Were these cops ever caught and punished?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope, money buys freedom, or so some think.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How big was the rattler any way? Well at least you are still here and able to laugh about it.
View Quote

It was a small one, about three and a half feet.

ChrisLe, I think posthumously is the only way you can get a Darwin.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, they got the 100K in cash my dad's friend had on him (money from the drugs he stole) plus what they got paid to do the job.  Not to mention it porbaby wasn't their first hit.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, they got the 100K in cash my dad's friend had on him (money from the drugs he stole) plus what they got paid to do the job.  Not to mention it porbaby wasn't their first hit.
View Quote

I'm curious about something here- what do you think about all this?  Like, do you think these cops were scum *because* they were cops or because of what they did?  

Do you think the friend had any responsibility for what happened?  

And how could you or your dad know that his friend was murdered by these people and for these reasons and nobody did anything about it?  Was there a trial and they were found not guilty, or did it never get to that?

I hope you don't mind all the questions...
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A few inches lower and you would have been given the Darwin Award posthumously.
View Quote
Isn't that the only way it's awarded?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few inches lower and you would have been given the Darwin Award posthumously.
View Quote
Isn't that the only way it's awarded?
View Quote

Quite right. brain fart on my part......
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#34]
They were never caught.  It was coverd in the local papers and on the news when it happened.  I know my dad's friend was responsible for what happened, but that doesn't mean crooked cops are condonable.  It is perhaps because of this single incident that mine and my dad's life have been made miserable ever since I was a young buck.  If you only knew how much we get harrssed, how many times we've been to court but never convicted, you would distrust cops every bit as much as I do.  I don't hate cops, I just don't like their bullshit they pull because of my last name.  I've never commited an illegal act in my life, save for driving over the speed limit a little, but the name makes me a common criminal.  Take for instance recently, me and my dad were pulled over for not stopping completely at a stop sign.  (We did stop.)  The cop of course ran the plate and found out who we were.  He approaches the vehicle and the first thing out of his mouth is "I smell Marijuana."  Neither one of us smoke it so he didn't smell shit.  And this isn't an isolated incident either.  Things like this and even worse occure with some regularity.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't discount it.  It may have very well have been a hard spot in the tree and an odd angle of impact.  I remember reading a story where a .357 Magnum ricocheted off a guys jawbone while he was trying to commit suicide.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They were never caught.  It was coverd in the local papers and on the news when it happened.  I know my dad's friend was responsible for what happened, but that doesn't mean crooked cops are condonable.  It is perhaps because of this single incident that mine and my dad's life have been made miserable ever since I was a young buck.  If you only knew how much we get harrssed, how many times we've been to court but never convicted, you would distrust cops every bit as much as I do.  I don't hate cops, I just don't like their bullshit they pull because of my last name.  I've never commited an illegal act in my life, save for driving over the speed limit a little, but the name makes me a common criminal.  Take for instance recently, me and my dad were pulled over for not stopping completely at a stop sign.  (We did stop.)  The cop of course ran the plate and found out who we were.  He approaches the vehicle and the first thing out of his mouth is "I smell Marijuana."  Neither one of us smoke it so he didn't smell shit.  And this isn't an isolated incident either.  Things like this and even worse occure with some regularity.  
View Quote

I see... so your feelings are about what happened AFTER the friend was killed.  Thanks for clarifying.  That's gotta suck.  Maybe it'll be over when you and your family finally move out of there?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Perhaps, but where would I go, Kalifornia? [:D]  Texas seems the oly suitable option but we all know what comes from Texas.  Perhaps I will pursue a life in the great Alaskian wilderness.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A .357 Mag bullet while still at maximum MV, ricocheted 180degrees off of a tree trunk????
View Quote
No kidding-I've never seen a ricochet off of a tree, or anything else wooden. That's strange.
View Quote

I never heard of it either, which is why I didn't worry about taking the shot. I knew mesquite is a hard wood, but I didn't know it was THAT hard.
Although, I have cut into a couple of mesquite stumps that had good sized rocks in them. No rocks visible in this trunk.
This is also why I thought it might just be bad luck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Perhaps, but where would I go, Kalifornia? [:D]  Texas seems the oly suitable option but we all know what comes from Texas.  Perhaps I will pursue a life in the great Alaskian wilderness.
View Quote

No, please don't come here.  We've got too many people as it is... I hear Idaho is nice! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Walked out in the front yard about sundown last night and found a rattlesnake coiled near the base of a mesquite tree. I decided not to try and catch it, so I took a shot at it with a 4" S&W .357, from about 10 feet. I missed the snake, but hit the tree trunk. The slug came right back at me and snatched the hat off my head.
Had the slug been a little lower, would this qualify for a Darwin, or would it just be chalked up to bad luck?
View Quote

Don't tell me that you forgot to say, over your shoulder,  "Hey y'all --- Watch THIS!!!"
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Darwin award? Yes.  Why?  because you didn't use a barett .50 to kill the snake of course.

Just kidding.

I find it very strange that a .357 actually came around 180 and took your hat off. Are you sure it wasn't a piece of the tree?  would be more belivable than the round coming back at you....wait a minute...magic bullet theory going again.  Maybe that has some merit after all....hmmmmmm

Mike
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Lets see:

It was dumb that you almost blew your head off.

It was good that you decided not to kill an animal.  I'll write PETA on your behalf and nominate you for an award.

It was dumb to catch a live snake unless you really know what you are doing.

Did you explain to him how lucky he was that you missed him prior to releasing him?  Did you tell him to never come back to your house again because you were going to be out at the range every weekend practicing?  Next time he may get his head blown off instead of yours?

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a 2nd shooter! He was on the grassy knoll.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Dunno about anyone else, but I wanna see pics of the hat!

[:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Nothing personal, but....
[img]http://www.mateinastate.com/bizarre/2/tninsideout.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I honestly don't see how a .357 could come back 170 degrees and take off your hat.  Did it leave a hole?    I guess if there was a rock or a piece of metal in the tree it could be possible.  Sounds like you have some bad luck.  Time to move, and/or buy a kevlar helmet.  Glad you were OK.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
No kidding-I've never seen a ricochet off of a tree, or anything else wooden. That's strange.
View Quote

I never heard of it either, which is why I didn't worry about taking the shot. I knew mesquite is a hard wood, but I didn't know it was THAT hard.
Although, I have cut into a couple of mesquite stumps that had good sized rocks in them. No rocks visible in this trunk.
This is also why I thought it might just be bad luck.
View Quote

Ya ever see that tv show that gives $10,000 for the best video?? Now if that tree is still there, and you have a friend with a video camera, maybe you guys can do it again on film!!
[:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't tell me that you forgot to say, over your shoulder,  "Hey y'all --- Watch THIS!!!"
View Quote

I knew I forgot something. The only witness was my dog, and he ain't talking.
No hole in the hat. It hit right at the point of the crown and the hat went over. Had it put a hole in my hat, I would have had to shoot the little beggar several times. It wasn't my best hat, but was/is my favorite.
I'll have to check, but I don't think Stetson makes anything in Kevlar.
Grassy knoll? This is Az., but I'll check the piles of sand around the area for tracks.[:)]
I'd rather have a yard full of rattlers than a single peta airhead within ten miles.
I learned all about catching snakes from some guy on t.v. last month. Now that we got some rain, I finally got to try it.[:D]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top