Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 12:17:54 PM EDT
...upon sunset in 2004 or extension?  50/50?  More?  Less?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There is [u]not[/u] a snowballs chance in hell that in will sunset!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
They couldn't even remove the sunset provision in 1996, and you think they can do it between now and 2004? Politicians don't care about doing the right thing, THEY JUST WANT TO KEEP THEIR JOBS. They know what happened in 1994, and I think they've learned their lesson.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That depends on all of the gun owners out there, If we could get more gun owners to vote  there is would be a good chance of it dissapearing. In order to get rid of the AWB we need to at least keep what we have in the House of Representatives and get more conservative republicans in the senate. As long as the democrats have control of the senate they will pass anything that restricts guns. Find out which candidates are pro gun and go vote, and convince everyone you possibly can to do the same. Write your current representatives and let them know how you feel about the assault weapons ban. I believe that if we pull together and get of our asses we can get rid of this ban.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Did they try to remove the sunset provision in 1996?

News to me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c104:H.R.3382:[/url]

Safe Streets Act of 1996 (Introduced in House)

HR 3382 IH

104th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 3382
To promote safe streets by preventing the further sale of illegal assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and to provide for mandatory prison terms for possessing, brandishing, or discharging a firearm during the commission of a Federal crime.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

May 1, 1996
Mr. FRISA introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To promote safe streets by preventing the further sale of illegal assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices, and to provide for mandatory prison terms for possessing, brandishing, or discharging a firearm during the commission of a Federal crime.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Safe Streets Act of 1996'.

SEC. 2. PREVENTION OF TRANSFER OF ASSAULT WEAPONS AND LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) ASSAULT WEAPONS- Section 922(v)(2) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `or transfer'.

(b) LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES- Section 922(w)(2) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `or transfer'.

[red](c) PROHIBITIONS MADE PERMANENT- Section 110105 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 (18 U.S.C. 921 note) is repealed.[/red]

SEC. 3. MANDATORY PRISON TERMS FOR POSSESSING, BRANDISHING, OR DISCHARGING A FIREARM OR DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE DURING A FEDERAL CRIME THAT IS A CRIME OF VIOLENCE OR A DRUG TRAFFICKING CRIME.

[etc, etc, etc...]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems like a prior post that referred me to prior polls has been removed...but I searched and found them.

Since I'm new here (see userid), didn't know this had been beaten to death.

Thanks....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top