Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 6:55:47 AM EDT
I've always heard that guys have them and the ladies don't.  I don't see one on me, or most other fellows, but I do see a noticable protrusion on a significant number  of females.  So, WTF is wrong here.  Feel free to throw down your dumbass answers as well as any legitimate insight, as if I needed to give you permisssion.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
ummmm....youre a hermaphrodite?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps you misunderstood when I said dumbass answers.  That didn't even make sense.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:06:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Perhaps you misunderstood when I said dumbass answers.  That didn't even make sense.
View Quote

sure it did.  you just have to know what a hermaphrodite is.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
everyone has one. [b]usually[/b] men's are bigger than womens', but not always. there are more important things to fret. like hermaphrodism.[;D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Ricks hypothesis may be one correct answer [:X]. But the presence of an Adam's Apple may be hindered by the amount of fat present on that area of the body.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
O.K., I just read my original post again.  I'm pretty sure that I was talking about an adam's apple.  The Herme comment only makes sense using selective contextual evidence.  I really don't care how many dumbass answers I get to this question, I just want one legitimate one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Lurker.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
O.K., I just read my original post again.  I'm pretty sure that I was talking about an adam's apple.  The Herme comment only makes sense using selective contextual evidence.  I really don't care how many dumbass answers I get to this question, I just want one legitimate one.
View Quote

okay, fine.  the adam's apple is just like every other anatomical item in the human:  it varies in size, shape, and prominence.  the differences you see are nothing more than the range of variation for that anatomical item.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#10]
In a class I took on evolution, i believe that the adam's apple was described as a sort of bony plate, which developed to protect the throat and such during fights, hunting...bla bla bla.  Women don't have them, *(unless they're butch and nasty) because they were the gatherers and men had the duty of protecting.  When you need an answer to anatomy, always look to evolution and natural selection, the answer can usually be found there.  

As far as Redray's answer goes, a hermaphrodite is a man/woman thing, which can carry either male or female or both characteristics.  Thus, his comment makes complete sense and the question stands, ARE you a hermaphrodite? [:)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Mr. Balzac is correct on this one. If a women has a noticeable Adam's apple, she is either possesing significant amounts of male traits or she IS a male in disguise.

BTW, does anyone have the reason why the Adam's apple is called that? I would hazard a guess that it had to do with the Garden of Eden. Is there a passage in Genesis that hints that as soon as Adam began to swallow the bite of the forbidden fruit (apple) he realized his sin against God and was unable to finish swallowing?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#12]
You know what they say..... Small Adams Apple..... Small_______________!!!![moon]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The portion of the body known as the "Adam's Apple" is actually the frontal surface of the Larynx, or voicebox, which contains the human vocal chords.  The Larynx itself is an expansion of the Trachea (windpipe,) is semi-bony, and rigid to the touch.

The reason it is more visible in the male (as a rule) has to do with the amount and distribution of subcutaneous fat.  The average body fat content for a male runs around 15-18%, and is usually distributed in the hands, feet, and to a lesset extent, legs and torso.  (It is interesting to note that there is little to no muscle in the hands and feet - this is why bodybuilders appear to have hands that are too small for them.  The muscles that operated the hands and fingers are in the forearm, and the muscles for the feet are in the calves.)

In females, body fat averages 25-30% - this is where they get all those wonderful curves, and why they also have a much easier time floating in water than men.  Female subcutaneous fat is more evenly distributed thruout the torso, from the neck down thru the hips.  The structure of the hands and feet is similar - it is the extra 10% or so that gives the body curves.  

Of course, there are individual variances in body fat amounts and distribution.  Bodybuilders of either gender with the "cut" or "ripped" look are typically under 5% body fat - sometimes down to 2%.

The name "Adam's Apple" derives from the Biblical tale of the Garden of Eden.  It is meant to be G-d's mark on Man for listening to the woman (who was, in turn, decieved by the serpent.)  Man is twice decieved, and therefore marked.

Better now?

FFZ
Warrior, philosopher, and purveyor of obscure information.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BTW, does anyone have the reason why the Adam's apple is called that? I would hazard a guess that it had to do with the Garden of Eden. Is there a passage in Genesis that hints that as soon as Adam began to swallow the bite of the forbidden fruit (apple) he realized his sin against God and was unable to finish swallowing?
View Quote

Actually, it was because after Eve gave him the apple, he choked hers right out of her, and only he had one left.

Says it right here in Garandman 1:7.

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
hermaphrodite=chicks with dicks[bounce]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Also, the larynx itself tends to be larger in men than in women, so the anterior portion of the thyroid cartilage of the larynx tends to be more prominent in men.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#17]
What's this here big lump between my...oh..never mind.[:O]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Continuing from IMHO, the larger larynx in males is what also tends to result in the "deeper" voice.  The size and shape of the sinus cavities in the face are also factors in vocal tone, but it is the larynx proper that is the basis...

Trivia time - the average complement of vocal chords is, IIRC, 23.  Most singers with the "raspy" voices (Angus Young, Bonnie Tyler, and others) have been examined and found to be lacking one or more vocal chords as a natural and harmelss mutation.  IIRC, singers (and individuals) have been found with as few as 13 vocal chords.  Apparently, the missing chords would have help to fill out vocal tones, and their absence results in a voice that is not "fully formed."  The missing components of tone are percieved as "raspy" - severity depending upon vocal chord count...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Trivia time - the average complement of vocal chords is, IIRC, 23.  Most singers with the "raspy" voices (Angus Young, Bonnie Tyler, and others) have been examined and found to be lacking one or more vocal chords as a natural and harmelss mutation.  IIRC, singers (and individuals) have been found with as few as 13 vocal chords.  Apparently, the missing chords would have help to fill out vocal tones, and their absence results in a voice that is not "fully formed."  The missing components of tone are percieved as "raspy" - severity depending upon vocal chord count...

FFZ
View Quote

Missing vocal cords?  I'd always thought that nodules were the cause.

Please direct me to a source.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]
"...is semi-bony, and rigid to the touch."

You can say that again.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I've found wominz w/the prominent adams apple are my favorite![:)]They have more suction'n'swallow better.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Adam's Apple
(ad´amz)  popular name for the laryngeal "prominence"
---------------------------------------
laryngeal "prominence"

a subcutaneous prominence at the front of the throat produced by the thyroid cartilage of the larynx. Called also Adam's apple and pomum adami.

-----------------------------------------

How Is Sex Reassignment Surgery Performed?

Sex reassignment surgery involves a series of surgical procedures. These include the following:

Male to female (MTF)

During MTF surgery, the bulk of the penis tissue is removed, but the outer skin is left attached to the body. This tissue is then reshaped, turned "inside out," and inserted into the body to form a vagina. This procedure is called vaginoplasty.

Some of the erectile tissue of the penis also is saved. This tissue continues to fill with blood and becomes erect when stimulated, forming the equivalent of a clitoris and preserving sexual sensation in the new genitals.

In addition, the testicles are removed, and the tissue of the scrotum is used to construct the labia (vaginal lips). The urinary tube (urethra) is rerouted to a slit in the reshaped tissue to create a female urinary opening. In addition, some of the abdominal muscles are repositioned around the newly created vagina to allow for vaginal contractions during sexual climax.

Following surgery, the man continues to take the female hormone estrogen, which helps reshape the body and stimulates the growth of breast tissue. Some patients may choose to undergo additional cosmetic procedures to further enhance appearance. These include breast augmentation with fluid-filled implants, [b]Adam's apple[/b] shaving to decrease the size of the [b]Adam's apple[/b], and voice surgery.
------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#23]
[size=5]Well, are you?[/size=5]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like you could be a hermaphrodite...half and half. Do you have menstrual cycles?

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#26]
The Adam's apple is the protuberence made by the thyroid cartilage in the neck.  Everyone has thyroid cartilage. Its just that it is more prominent in some people than others.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]Quoted:[/b]
I've always heard that guys have them and the ladies don't.  I don't see one on me, or most other [b]fellows[/b], but I do see a noticable [b]protrusion[/b] on a significant number  of females.  So, WTF is wrong here.  Feel free to throw down your dumbass answers as well as any legitimate insight, as if I needed to give you permisssion.[/]

[b]It's a matter of simple math![/b]

Lack of adam's apple + use of the words
"fellows and "protrusion" in the same
sentence = [b]Hermaphrodite[/b]
Yep, I'd be concerned too!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
[img]http://fishhook1.homestead.com/files/bitches.jpg[/img]

It sort of looks like Hillary has little "Protrusion" going on too. Hmmm.... It's no wonder Billy boy messes around with fat chicks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Woman and man are much the same,while being very much different.   Woman has a penis,only its very small and hooded,men have overies only dropped low and in a sac.  We have less ribs which I find one of the many strange things much like the widened pelvis  (many of the few differences )in the complete animal.

Since it takes an abundance or lack of X&Y chromos to bring about these changes to produce the (male or PC correct female)   Many weoman could have such things like adams apples and still be clinicaly female.

Woman has more body fat so it might not be so noticable,But with the twiggy ,thin girl syndrome lots of things might show up(adams apples)  Loss of body fat (ultra thin) = lack of breast tissue also.  (silicone)=#1 answer

So all in all Its like Popeye said (I is what I am,and I ain't what I ain't).

I know that this is not much help,But thats the way I see it.

Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[img]http://fishhook1.homestead.com/files/bitches.jpg[/img]

It sort of looks like Hillary has little "Protrusion" going on too. Hmmm.... It's no wonder Billy boy messes around with fat chicks.
View Quote

can we raise a fund to buy hilary a tooth brush?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Since it takes an abundance or lack of X&Y chromos to bring about these changes to produce the (male or PC correct female)   Many weoman could have such things like adams apples and still be clinicaly female. . .
 I know that this is not much help,But thats the way I see it.

Bob [8D]
View Quote

Are you a little confused, and misinterpreting the phenotype of an XY with Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top