Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2012 3:58:31 AM EDT
Click the links on the tour schedule for info and flight/ride times at airport.
FiFI 2012 Tour Schedule

B-29 FiFi at TiCo Airshow 2012. Watch on youtube for the 1080p HD vid.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the privilege to ride in the B17,24,25. a few years ago. Pure-sex.

The gunners seat in the 29 seems to be the best bang for the buck. Expensive, but well worth it to me. My few friends went to great lengths to tell what an asshole I am.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Little pricey for my blood!  But the money goes to a great cause. Cause I want to see this bird keep flying!
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could afford that right now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I paid $400 last year for a B17 ride, sadly it burned up a few weeks later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think I paid $400 last year for a B17 ride, sadly it burned up a few weeks later.

Statement from Liberty Foundation Chief Pilot

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
$600 per person? Fuck!

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

$600 per person? Fuck!

The new engines were approx. 3 million dollars and it cost approx. $9000 an hour to fly FiFi.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the pilots talks about flying FiFi.

Watch on youtube for the HD vid.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
About 35 years ago one of the of the right side engines in FiFi dripped oil on me at an airshow.

A guy in one of these jackets walked over to me, pulled a dirty rag out of his back pocket and wiped my off, saying something like "Wright Cyclone engines do that Kid"

I hate political correctness
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

About 35 years ago one of the of the right side engines in FiFi dripped oil on me at an airshow.

A guy in one of these jackets walked over to me, pulled a dirty rag out of his back pocket and wiped my off, saying something like "Wright Cyclone engines do that Kid"

WWII warbirds mark their territory

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, this thread brought back some memories.

The date's a little hard to see;

July 2nd, 1977.

I was 10.

I may have to take a ride. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#13]
a friend of mine just flew on FiFi, in the seat behind the Pilot.  Had a great time.
best seat in the house is the bombadier, if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i38.tinypic.com/ampnqs.jpg

Yep, they don't leak...they sweat horsepower.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.check-six.com/images/Patch_0005.jpg

I hate political correctness

Certainly is a lot of oil dripped on the ground, at the air shows with these old war birds. Have to watch where you stand.

I will be at Reading in June, as I am every year.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That same B17, me and my dad rode on...he bought us a ride as a 16th B-Day present for me.

Wouldn't trade the memories for the world. It's a shame she burned up.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I flew on FiFi back in 1989. I was a TV news photog, so I was up and about the whole cabin, videotaping everything. The best seat is definitely the bombardier's post.
It was one of the best and most memorable days of my life.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i38.tinypic.com/ampnqs.jpg

Yup.  I was filming a Corsair firing up on the ramp a few years back, and got a nice little oil shower!  I didn't mind though.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That same B17, me and my dad rode on...he bought us a ride as a 16th B-Day present for me.

Wouldn't trade the memories for the world. It's a shame she burned up.

They will rebuild....

I saw a post earlier this week on FB.. damned if I cant find it right now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I have pictures I took of Fifi's cockpit and the interior of the front half of the plane circa 1989 in a box somewhere. I should scan them and share them someday.

the B 29 is an impressive aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
a friend of mine just flew on FiFi, in the seat behind the Pilot.  Had a great time.

I'd opt for the Flight Observer, too. You have a view of the pilot's operations and can still see thru the nose.

No way I'd do the tail gunner. I always got motion sickness riding in the rear seat of my mom's station wagon.

There is a great 360 degree pan of the Enola Gay cockpit. Works for me with Firefox, but not IE.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd opt for the Flight Observer, too. You have a view of the pilot's operations and can still see thru the nose.

No way I'd do the tail gunner. I always got motion sickness riding in the rear seat of my mom's station wagon.

Take several Ginger pills an hour before going on a flight and you will not have any problem with motion sickness.  They even proved this on
mythbusters.  It is a natural anti-nausea cure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#23]
If you want to read a good book on a B-29 pilot who participated in the bombings of Japan in 1945 read the book

Bringing the Thunder by Gordon Bennett Robertson.  It is an excellent book.  He flew 35 missions.

He also was not a big Roosevelt fan.  He makes passing mention of it when relating the day Roosevelt died.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take several Ginger pills an hour before going on a flight and you will not have any problem with motion sickness.  They even proved this on

Shortly after I first heard about that I was working in my home office. It was summer and stuffy in the room. I started to feel nauseated so I made a tea of 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger in a cup of hot water. Darn stuff worked!

I never get carsick, but there's something about riding in the jump seat in a station wagon that does me in. I got woozy once riding about a mile and a half in Atlanta. Once my feet hit the ground I was fine.

Side facing seats in a C130........... same thing. On the hop from Ft. Bragg to Camp Mackall I was ready to surrender.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shortly after I first heard about that I was working in my home office. It was summer and stuffy in the room. I started to feel nauseated so I made a tea of 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger in a cup of hot water. Darn stuff worked!

I never get carsick, but there's something about riding in the jump seat in a station wagon that does me in. I got woozy once riding about a mile and a half in Atlanta. Once my feet hit the ground I was fine.

Side facing seats in a C130........... same thing. On the hop from Ft. Bragg to Camp Mackall I was ready to surrender.

I myself have never gotten airsick in an airplane yet but a helicopter always made me ill in the military. I flew on C-130s with no problem.  But put me on a Huey or Blackhawk and I would get green around the gills.  Never puked but I was glad to get off.  Wish I had known about ginger supplements back in those days.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There is a great 360 degree pan of the Enola Gay cockpit. Works for me with Firefox, but not IE.

When I was a kid I used to hang my head out the car window to keep from getting car sick when I sat in the back seat.

Thanks for the EG cockpit link. It works with both IE 9 and FF 12 for me.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#27]
A very interesting  instructional video on flying a B-29.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Awesome plane, but on the surface the name is
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:49:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Awesome plane, but on the surface the name is

"Tondelayo" was taken.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 4:24:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Got to take a ride in a B17 a few years ago. Aluminum Overcast was in Lebanon, Tenn. Wife bought me the ride. It was awesome.
FiFi will be near me at Lexington, Ky. so it looks like a short ride up I-75 is in order.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 4:45:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Is booking a seat considered a charitable donation?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Is booking a seat considered a charitable donation?

I think so but I'm not positive. Call or e-mail to find out for sure.

http://www.cafb29b24.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:living-history-bomber-rides&catid=7:publiccontent&Itemid=483

For more information call our Ride Coordinator at 432-413-4100.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Highly relevant to my interests tag!
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Cool... I was in Midland back in... oh.. 2004, I think.  The group I was with got to bring our cars out to the back of the hangar at the CAF Museum there.  Fifi was in the hangar being worked on.  It was pretty awesome to see.  Wish I had some pictures.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Click the links on the tour schedule for info and flight/ride times at airport.

FiFI 2012 Tour Schedule

http://www.cafb29b24.org/images/stories/FIFIpictures/fifi.jpg

B-29 FiFi at TiCo Airshow 2012. Watch on youtube for the 1080p HD vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eC8HnHCTR4

Awesome! thanks for the heads up.

I just booked my Dad an observers seat on Fifi when they come to Buffalo Airport in June.

As a former defence contractor, and WWII amatur historian he is going to shit himself when I tell him!  
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Fifi was in the hangar being worked on.  It was pretty awesome to see.  Wish I had some pictures.

Me too.  

Quoted:

I just booked my Dad an observers seat on Fifi when they come to Buffalo Airport in June.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Just curious what is the appearance fee for FIFI to show up at an airshow?  

Also how much fuel and oil does she require per hour and how many crew does it take to do an airshow operation?

Quoted:

Quoted:
$600 per person? Fuck!

The new engines were approx. 3 million dollars and it cost approx. $9000 an hour to fly FiFi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMMvIT8brQc

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Just curious what is the appearance fee for FIFI to show up at an airshow?  

Also how much fuel and oil does she require per hour and how many crew does it take to do an airshow operation?

Good questions. The info might be in the newletters.

http://www.cafb29b24.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&Itemid=44

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:39:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 5/10/2012 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice hi-res T/O and landing video.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#42]
 More tour stops added.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#43]
This is Randy Sohn's account of the "rescue" of Fifi.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182151-1.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I was at Charlotte Douglas the other day and FIFi was in the que right in front of us. Because of where I was on the plane (the front )
All I got to see was her power up and go.
After we got up in the air FiFi had turned north towards downtown and we turned south. It was pretty cool to see her from above in the air.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to see fi fi this morning. Can't afford the ride just the look.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
$600 per person? Fuck!

I don't think that is bad at all for a ride in a B-29. There is only one left and they ain't making any more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 7:00:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I wish oldcatdriver was still around, I think he was flying her.    

He could give us some good info.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Cool... I was in Midland back in... oh.. 2004, I think.  The group I was with got to bring our cars out to the back of the hangar at the CAF Museum there.  Fifi was in the hangar being worked on.  It was pretty awesome to see.  Wish I had some pictures.

I have some pictures of me working on Fifi when she broke at our airshow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I was at Charlotte Douglas the other day and FIFi was in the que right
in front of us. Because of where I was on the plane (the front )

All I got to see was her power up and go.

After
we got up in the air FiFi had turned north towards downtown and we
turned south. It was pretty cool to see her from above in the air.

Quoted:

I'm going to see fi fi this morning. Can't afford the ride just the look.

Quoted:

I will be at Reading in June, as I am every year.

Me too, of course.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top