Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2002 1:05:12 AM EDT
I logged on to the internet tonight, and started downloading my email.  My ISP uses McAfee Antivirus at the server level, so any email messages that go through it are stopped, deleted, and a message sent to both the sender and the recipient.  
Anyway, I had 36 messages from the email server, each one saying "undeliverable mail", because they were infected with EDITED:  It's Exploit-MIME.  The time stamps were between 2100 and 0330 tonight.  Some, but not all, had my email address in them somewhere.  
I am running Norton, but haven't updated it in a few weeks. However, I did go to the www.antivirus.com website (Trend Micro) and run HouseCall.  Scanned my whole hard drive, and comes up with Nada.  
How can I manually tell if my machine is infected?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Norton antivirus manual scan.
NAV 2000/2001
1.Start norton antivirus.
2.Click options. If a submenu appears, then click norton antivirus.
3.Click manual scan.
4.In the "File type to scan" section, click all files.
5.Click auto-protect.
6.In the "file types to scan" section, click all files.
Norton 2002
1.Start norton antivirus.
2.Click options, if a submenu appears, click norton antivirus.
3.Click manual scan.
4.In the "which files to scan for virus" section, click Comprehensive (recommended)
5.Check, scan whitin compressed files.
6.Click auto-protect.
7.In the "Which files to scan for viruses" section, click comprehensive (recommended).
8. Click ok.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Update your Norton AV first, before running the scan.

It is well worth the download time to keep your antivirus software up-to-date.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry guys, I am ignorant on this particular issue.  I am running McAfee Virus Scan rather than Norton.  I updated it just now, and scanned my whole C drive.  Infected files: 0.  WTF?  So far, up to date scans by Trend Micro and McAfee say I am clean.  Can I trust this?
Also, the McAfee website says I need to download a patch for IE.  Is this what is causing my problem?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry guys, I am ignorant on this particular issue.  I am running McAfee Virus Scan rather than Norton.  I updated it just now, and scanned my whole C drive.  Infected files: 0.  WTF?  So far, up to date scans by Trend Micro and McAfee say I am clean.  Can I trust this?
Also, the McAfee website says I need to download a patch for IE.  Is this what is causing my problem?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Don't trust it 100%  However seeing as how two virus checkers said you're clean...be 90 to 95% certain I guess...shoot see if Norton has something like Trend does and do a housecall as well.

Very rarely anything is 100% certain but if both said you're clean I wouldn't fret about it...probably a bunch of Klez emails.  I've been getting one nearly every other day lately.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I am starting to think that somebody else on my ISP has this Klez thing, and they are sending messages that are "Spoofing" the mail server into thinking that I am the originator.  
I just downloaded my email again, there were about 10 messages kicked back to me as infected between 0500 and 0800....I was offline and in bed sleeping.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I am starting to think that somebody else on my ISP has this Klez thing, and [red]they are sending messages that are "Spoofing" the mail server into thinking that I am the originator.  [/red]
View Quote

It absolutely does that.
View Quote

Yup, I don't feel like looking it up, check the McAfee program and look at the encyclopedia that I think it comes with and check it out.  It grabs emails from your address book and forums and some other places i'm sure and then just keeps emailing people with stupid subjects and stuff.  Many times you will just have a subject and no message but an email that is like 200kb.  Sadly, it can spoof your own email and then send it to you...

Basically theres still a bunch of lame asses (no offense [;)]) that don't have a virus checker or don't update it regularly and because of them Klez is still a popular virus...

EDIT:  Also, I think another way to know if you DO have it is it'll cause your virus checker to stop functioning/crash...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top