User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2002 2:22:13 PM EDT
Container: 55 gallon "blue" food grade plastic drum
Contents: Potable water
Preservative: Oxy-Safe Water Stabilizer bought from Major Surplus and Survival
Storage location: In shaded area covered by a tarp
Date of storage: DEC 1999

Notes: Although the stabilized water is rated safe for 5 years, I wanted to conduct a test at the 3 year mark. Water was clear and no cloudiness or other contaminants were present. It did have a very strong plastic taste, which most likely could have been covered up by adding a drink mix. It is my hope that whatever caused the objectional taste has completely leeched out of the container material and the next batch will be more palatible.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I never stop laughing so long I as I read one of your post a day.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I never stop laughing so long I as I read one of your post a day.
View Quote

What's funny about long term water storage?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing, it's in the presentation.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is my hope that whatever caused the objectional taste has completely leeched out of the container material and the next batch will be more palatible.
View Quote

The drums are made of HDPE. While the next batch may be better as far as the taste, I think that your storage area may be less than desireable.
The plastic taste is from the outgassing of chemicals used to create polyethylene. This process is excellerated the hotter the container is kept. If you have the barrel in direct sunlight, that is the worst.
A cool dry basement is most ideal, if you dont have a basement, try burying it alothough that may be impractical.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
you could add these as a barrel liner:

[b]http://www.cleanfilm.com/products/ulo_poly_bags.shtml[/b]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
[url=www.cleanfilm.com/products/ulo_poly_bags.shtml]www.cleanfilm.com/products/ulo_poly_bags.shtml[/url] [;)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top