Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2002 1:48:48 PM EDT
What separates the folks here at AR15.com from the arm chair warriors (A.K.A kooks/survivalist )
at the very least is the ongoing, 24 hour camaraderie (A.K.A. BS) found here.
Bad jokes, smart assed comments, moral support and heated debates over everything
from current political and social issues to answering important questions like how does
one get gum out of one's chest hair (or vice versa).

Bottom line, AR15 members are a community of sort. We obviously do not
agree on everything (I wouldn't come back if we did), but we usually concede by
agreeing  to disagree.
Now to the meat! You can always log on here and find like minded people for support,
but how many of you have local support in a real SHTF (tired acronym) scenario?
Judging by some of the threads I've read, I get the impression that many of you can't (or wont)
even talk about your "extracurricular activities" or political views with the people around
you in fear of being socially crucified. Much less, seek out like minded people for a
coordinated response to the HOLY CRAP scenario.

So, if the SHTF are you operating alone?
Do you have a plan? If not, why?[thinking]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So, if the SHTF are you operating alone?
View Quote

No

Do you have a plan?
View Quote

Yes, several. It would depend of the amount of "S" and the size and power of the "F"..
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I consider myself very fortunate to have a b/f I can trust to watch my back. Also have at least one friend (some distance away) I could rely on. A short list, to be sure, but better than some, I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Aren't you on one of Fred's rifle teams?  Why not?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
More a dope than not. I have some plans, some equipment, but I need to do more. Then again, I don't think I'll see UN/CIA black helicopters, so that's one I'm not preparing for.

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Hun's Marauders to back me up in any SHTF situation!

Basically, these trusted Marauders consist of my family and whoever can successfully make it out to the Hun Farm in such times of civil unrest!

You know who you are![:D]

Oh, bye the bye, bring womenz when you come! We will need a 'next generation', you know!

Please no topless dancers/strippers [u]unless[/u] you're planning on using them as trade goods!

Eric The(BePrepared,PlanAhead)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
stop spending so much time worrying about stupid things and planning for something that probally will never happen, and if it does, you'll be too scared to be the action hero that you are thinking you are in your little plan. nothing will happen, but to make you feel better, if i am wrong, feel free to sue me.
-jay
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to call the cops. Is the SHTF going to be in Inglewood?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd look for anyone else carrying their black rifles and hook up. Its like wearing the same team jersey!

[}:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
stop spending so much time worrying about stupid things and planning for something that probally will never happen, and if it does, you'll be too scared to be the action hero that you are thinking you are in your little plan. nothing will happen, but to make you feel better, if i am wrong, feel free to sue me.
-jay
View Quote

I'm talking about natural disasters here as much as anything. I don't see any Blackhawks or blue helmets in my near future, but then again; I didn't expect 9/11 either. Action hereo! BHAHAHAHAHA! Dawn right I'll be scared, but fear hasn't kept me from doing anything worth doing yet! sia nara sleepy head![|)]

Edited in order to answer the phone
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hehe, I'll probably out in the boonies hunting when the blue hats come anyway.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By apollojay -
stop spending so much time worrying about stupid things and planning for something that probally will never happen, and if it does, you'll be too scared to be the action hero that you are thinking you are in your little plan. nothing will happen, but to make you feel better, if i am wrong, feel free to sue me. -jay
View Quote

'Action hero'? Nope, those are the guys who are left behind in Dallas! They are the ones who think they can sweep back the tide!

It's 'heading for the tall grass' for me and mine! The 'tall grass' of West Texas, that is!

Let them come get me, but I'll not hang around waiting for them!

And guess what [b]appolojay[/b]? If all we ever do is plan and plan and nothing comes of it, we will still have the best collection of black rifles and accessories that you can imagine!

[b][i]Si vis pacem, para bellum[/i][/b] is [u]still[/u] a wise old saying!

If you desire peace, prepare for war!

Eric The(PreparedForAnything)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's 'heading for the tall grass' for me and mine! The 'tall grass' of West Texas, that is!

View Quote

Hey - if you see someone trudging up on your hidey-hole and they're waiving a red BRC shirt, don't shoot! It's prolly just me!

edited to add:

Don't worry, I'll have plenty of beer and provisions!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Gunner IX,
To answer your question, I'm sure I'll be operating alone.  Not too many Black Rifle holders in Minneapolis...that I'm aware of.  

Don't really have a plan, but have a lot of $hit and could put one together pretty quick depending on what kind of SHTF happens.
[sniper]
I'm with you, legrue.  If the black helicopters come for you and me, the tin foil hats will protect us.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the Hun's Marauders to back me up in any SHTF situation!

Basically, these trusted Marauders consist of my family and whoever can successfully make it out to the Hun Farm in such times of civil unrest!

You know who you are![:D]

Eric The(BePrepared,PlanAhead)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

How do we verify that we are or are not qualified members of The Hun Marauders? I think that we are, but after the SHORT ROUND episode @ the Hun Shoot and only cleaning up our own mess....it may be a toss up.

Can you give a list of qualifications?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
They said I will be told the contingency plans when the time comes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
-jay
View Quote

It depends on what your definition of SHTF. If you are talking about TEOWAKI(sp?) probably not. But how about hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, riots. Since the authorities/government is concentrating on terrorists attacks since the 9/11 WTC/Pentagon attacks, there has been an reported upsurge in bank robberies in NY. It is better to have some plans, than no plans at all and be at the mercy and kindness(or unkindness) of others.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Post from wiggy762 -
How do we verify that we are or are not qualified members of The Hun Marauders?
View Quote

Just getting to the Hun Farm will prove your very worthiness to be there!
I think that we are, but after the SHORT ROUND episode @ the Hun Shoot and only cleaning up our own mess....it may be a toss up.
View Quote

Nope, not even close! All is forgiven, come home!
Can you give a list of qualifications?
View Quote

All right! Write your name on a piece of paper.
Add [b]wiggy223's[/b] name, and then the names of all whom you hold dear!

That's [u]all[/u] the qualifications necessary![:D]

Eric The(C'monOut!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They said I will be told the contingency plans when the time comes.
View Quote

They lied!

Eric The(You'llThankMeLaterForTellingYouNow)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I plan to wing it. It's worked so far!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#22]
i was under the impression of SHTF meaning something along the lines of "RED DAWN". if something like that goes down, we are beat. talk tough all you want. we're beat. your best collection of black rifles wont put up that much of a fight. not trying to be a smart a$$, just a realist. however on the other hand, SHTF meaning along the lines of power outages, floods, etc... maybe some guns and a plan would be of help. i will be sticking around to defend what is mine if need be, for what good it may do. more so to help others and my own get back on my feet. retreating to a hideout in the woods would do no good IMHO. it just seems every time i cruise the site it is a new SHTF question. best bug out bag, best pistol and rifle combo, best way to fight off the BATF when coming to collect my guns. i dont know why i let it bother me. sorry if i bother anyone else.
-jay
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I live 28.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. And halfway between the San Antonio and Guadalupe
Rivers. We prepare for TSHTF in the form of
flooding from those rivers and major storms cutting us off from town. These are the major real threats here: No utilities, no EMS, no Law,
if any storm hits. Our stregnths: a small rural subdivision of 20 homes (2 to 7 acre lots) with good neighbors, one way in which will be blocked with a pickup and manned with an armed "security officer" and a decent VFD.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#25]
[red][b]ETH[/b][/red]

Are Ricky's cattle open for consumption during a SHTF holdout? Ummmmmm............BEEF!  I'll pack plently of SHTF BBQ sauce!

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
[red][b]ETH[/b][/red]

Are Ricky's cattle open for consumption during a SHTF holdout? Ummmmmm............BEEF!  I'll pack plently of SHTF BBQ sauce!

[:D]
View Quote

Maybe we should have a SHTF BBQ walk through during the Oktoberfest! Complete with kill, slaughter, BBQ, beer and eat! Waddya say there Hun, would Ricky mind? We could call it a natural death loss as this yearling steer was killed by tetanus after stepping on 20 rds. of spent .223, a partially exploded propane tank, and eating 75 shotgun hulls. It wasn't our fault! We could say that this poor Prime Grade USDA beef (on the hoof) was simply scared to death by some extremely low detonating out of season fireworks. We just happened to be in the general vicinity and made due with God's bounty!

Great idea, Boom! You keep this up and you may find yourself the Supply Officer for the Marauder's!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#27]
First of all, if 9/11 didn't prove that ANYTHING can happen, your Alice in Wonderland.  Think about it, what would you have said to someone who made a comment like "what do think the chances are that several planes could be taken at about the same time by a dozen or so folks and flown into some really important places".  Hell, I would of thought "no way".

This said, if something were to really go wrong, long term, who will come to help YOU.  LE assets will most certainly be used to secure domestic places like electric and water plants, etc.  Who is gonna keep the scum of the earth from trying to come take YOUR food and water.  Just look back at some of the problems when LA riots happened and when Hugo hit Florida.  

No Sir, the only one person you will absoloutly be able to count on is yourself.  Your wife and kids will look to you, and all your so-called friends that bad-mouthed your hobby of "Black Rifles" will most likely remember you and darken your doorstep.

My plan is to head South to fresh spring fed waters or close to the coast, hook up with my brothers and hunker down.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry...I meant Hurrican Andrew, 1992, left about 250,000 people homeless...remember...people scalping prices for ice and water?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#30]
SHTF?

Why would anybody keep sh!t next to a fan anyway?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a young guy, and I completed my SHTF kit on Sept 10th last year.  The only thing I needed to add was a gas mask on that dark and evil day.  

Anyways to answer your question:
I will probably pair with my girlfriend (She is a glock carrying tomboy).  And then try to round up the parents.  If we could not do that, I would just grab the SHTF duffel, and head for the hills with her.  Either way I would trust her, in a fire fight, to cover my back. We both carry 9mm glocks, and know how to use a black rifle.

Eat your heart out.

PS: DarkHelmet: Can I be a friend?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I will fly solo!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm in poor health, bad vertebrae, and some other health concerns.  I'll just hang out here in my rural place with my wife and children I suppose.  I have a gun or two.

Did I mention I am the gunsmith at Summit Ammo, a class 3 dealer and ammuntion store, as well as a dealer in destructive devices? [}:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm in poor health, bad vertebrae, and some other health concerns.  I'll just hang out here in my rural place with my wife and children I suppose.  I have a gun or two.

Did I mention I am the gunsmith at Summit Ammo, a class 3 dealer and ammuntion store, as well as a dealer in destructive devices? [}:D]
View Quote

Grab your toys and head to HUNAPALOOZA in October!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe I am silly, but I personally don't think it really matters how much crap you own, store, save or otherwise.   I believe it is my spiritual beliefs that are really going to help me endure and make it from point A to point B.  So, I guess you could say I have a plan, to rely upon my God.  

It isn't that I don't have stuff prepared, stored, or a general plan of escape if needed.  But for instance, let say your gassed you don't have any testing equipment, you just see somebody go into hair raising convulsions, your probably dead as well, or will be severely limited by a nerve gas.  Or lets say you do get your gas mask on in time, how far do you really think you can go before the filter wears out, ie a radiological attack and your in the fall out?  What about running away in a CBR suit?  Where will you put your wife and child or children?

Or lets say you get into a Black Hawk down situation, your with your wife and kid, trying to escape town?  Your cell phone is dead because the power has been cut to the Cell tower, and the phones are dead with no way of reaching a friend or family member across town.  What are you gonna do as the looting begins?  What if they are just as well armed as you, pissed that you have supplies and they don't?  Are you prepared to kill 25+, could you effectively thwart an attack from all sides?

Or say an earthquake hits your house, busts open a gas pipe, that is ignited by a shorting out fuse box and your whole house goes?  

Or your leg gets broken some how but your stash is 10 miles a way and the roads are rendered unusable?  

Or your down at the office and the poo hits the fan, and all you have is the shirt on your back?  Did you put gas masks & suits, 1000+ rounds of 5.56 and your black rifle in every vehicle, as well as a weeks worth of food and water supplies?  What about independent communications equipment ie Walkie talkies, are they magnetic proof?  

I can think of many very adverse situations, where my God is probably going to be the one to pull me through, because Murphies laws are insurmountable.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No I'm not operating alone.... here's why: All my friends have better provisions, supplies, resources than me. I am pretty well off but they have some great SHTF stuff.

Friend #1: ...
View Quote

Hey!  I'm not on the list!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I plan to wing it. It's worked so far!
View Quote

I also plan to wing it... but i plan to wing anything that gets in my way as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#42]
You ever see the last fifteen minutes of RAMBO, Fist Blood?

Thats my plan.[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Read Stephen Kings "The Stand." If you are talking about SHTF scenario, the only thing I can think of precipitating it would be a massive destruction of our population and a break down of government resources.  Call it a comet, a nuke or a plague, but it would take a lot to create a SHTF scenario in my opinion.  Either that or the gov attacks us or something unplausible like that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can think of many very adverse situations, where my God is probably going to be the one to pull me through, because Murphies laws are insurmountable.  
View Quote

"Fortune favors the prepared mind."
--Louis Pasteur

God helps those who help themselves.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#45]
have team, gear, some contingency plans.
i advise you to identify yourself before heading up my front walk or attempting to hop my fence.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I will be dialing 911 and getting my baseball bat ready.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I used to think like some of you. Never happen to me, I thought. Then the '92 Los Angeles riots happened. The air smelled of burning dreams. That mess got me thinking. What if the big earthquake hits. What if the power goes out and we lose water pressure. This is a desert region. No H2O. What if The Element riots again, only more so. There are 15 million people in greater Los Angeles County. Where are they gonna look for food and water? What will they do to get it for their families? What would I do?

So my decision is to bug out. At the first sign of trouble I fill up the SUV. Then, arm myself and a few friends. Say, two AR's and a couple of .45 handguns. Abandon my house. It's not defendable and not near any food or water resource. Jump in my Honda SUV and caravan North to Santa Barbara or points further depending on conditions. With the death of the cell system CB radio will be back. I have the best one ever made, a Cobra 148 with mod's. With this quick plan I should be able to beat the traffic surge out of town. If we encounter any resistance the moderate firepower we take should be good enough. Speed in my case is paramount. There are 15 million others who want to live as much as I do.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#49]
For sure my Black Lab, Fred is with me. We have a E&E plan set. Whether or not the wife, bloodhound and cat come along is up to them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I have relatives that own 300+ acres on a large Canadian island that have invited my dad, myself, and our families to stay with them if SHTF, because we are good shots and have the arsenal.

The only problem I see is getting there.  I used to live in northern MI and could have canoed there (see my alias) in a few days (add a couple if bad weather).  Now if I where to have to canoe from SE MI I'm looking at at least 8-10 days in good weather.

I bring up the canoe because I have to cross the Mackinaw Bridge and the international bridge in the Sault to get to this property.  I'm figuring those are choke points or restricted access during SHTF.

So, ideally, I would be able to have some time to react to get out of this area and use my van but during a red dawn type event I don't think travel by car will be feasible.  During an LA type event I don't think traveling by road will be safe either.

I tried leaving this area last year after work on the weekends before and after 4th of July.  One big traffic jam 10 MPH max.  I'd have to study the back roads to find a better route.

Locally I have one friend (coworker) who I could trust if the SHTF. But, my ultimate goal is to get out of here if it is going to be more than a couple weeks of SHTF.

Now with all this said I think my situation of way out of the city in the suburbs makes it very unlikely I'll ever see SHTF from LA riot type to 9/11 type.  Red Dawn type SHTF is the only type I think would effect me, not including terrorist use of NBC in which case I'm screwed.

BTW: I understand if you make a grounding strap from paperclips to attach to your tin foil hat, it more than doubles the effectiveness of the hat in shielding your brain from the harmful alien rays.  [:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top