Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2002 11:16:35 AM EDT
Thought you all would find this a nice clip, and I would make my first new topic a good one.

Yes this video is real, the T72 was filled with black powder to simulate realistic battle conditions (full fuel tanks). The road wheels flew into the woods on both sides of the test range.

This was shot on Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL.

Mirrors, PLEASE! I can mail it to you if you can accept it (4.34M), I cannot FTP at the time being.

Enjoy!

[url=http://aemc.dyndns.org/JavelinLiveFireVsT72.mpg]39 Second MPEG - 4.34Megs[/url]

Jonathan
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Marking the thread so I can watch when after I get home.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#2]
More info:
The turret flew up in the air some 200 feet they estimated.... When it came back down it burried in the ground about 6 feet, the barrel was just imprinted into the ground.

With the slow motion video tools they have in the studio (at Redstone)... You could watch the turret pop off (only lasted like 3 frames of high speed video though)...

The explosion cut the power lines (when it decapitated the transformer across the road) to all but 1 of the cameras (it was battery operated)...

Jonathan
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Can I get one of those on Gunbroker?

I guess what I read was corect, books say the rocket goes up and come down right on top of the tank. I was surprised it went so high.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!  Refill please.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Got to play with the Javelin sims at Quantico last year. It's a much improved system over the Dragon. The reserve USMC units are only now transitioning from the Dragon to the Javelin. Unfortunately, the rounds are so expensive (I believe around 60k each) that the chances of live firing one is nonexistent, even for the A/D guys. The good news is there's plenty of Dragon rounds that need getting rid of that we can play with....
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Here 'ya go:

MUCH FASTER -------> [url]http://rbad.ar15.com/JavelinLiveFireVsT72.mpg[/url]

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Does filling the tank with black powder really simulate full fuel tanks?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow!! Nothing left of the mbt that would be fit for a scrap yard!! Damn!![shock]

Kewl video!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Doing a freeze frame near the end it appears to be a special effects edit. I don't doubt that a real Javelin was fired in the video but it looks like the close-up of the explosion is a fake. I mean the entire tank was almost totally destroyed, the real Iraqi tanks destroyed by our bombs in Desert Storm didn't look like that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.strategypage.com[/url]

This website has that and other cool video's and awesome pictures of D-Day.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Doing a freeze frame near the end it appears to be a special effects edit. I don't doubt that a real Javelin was fired in the video but it looks like the close-up of the explosion is a fake. I mean the entire tank was almost totally destroyed, the real Iraqi tanks destroyed by our bombs in Desert Storm didn't look like that.
View Quote

Well, take a look at this file if you think the tank did not explode into extremly tiny particles..

[url]http://home.hiwaay.net/~sickler/opforstuff/vids/T-72Javelinslideshow.ppt[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Egl,
thanks for posting that again.

I had seen it a few months ago but couldn't find it again. Damned cool video.

I'm glad you had more info on it.
Specifically I *thought* that was HSV, and figured it was on Redstone but the first time I saw the clip it had no additional information.

Yep, that's my hometown! (We love blowing shit up in Alabama! hehe)
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes this video is real, the T72 was filled with black powder to simulate realistic battle conditions (full fuel tanks
View Quote

Do you think this had anything to do with the parts being blown all over hell. Someone above said Iraqi tanks didn't disintegrate like that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow.  We need more videos like this posted!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#16]
CooL!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't buy it...

I might by the footage, but there are a couple of pieces that have been spliced together. Not only that but I don't know if you can compare Black Powder and fuels.. I am sure that they don't burn at the same rate...

Maybe more information would help
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#18]
[url]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/javelin/[/url]

Damn.. I love this stuff..[8D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree that this is a very nifty video...but I have one HUGE problem with it.

In the long range view, notice how there is NO delay between the visual of the explosion and the audio?

Der should be a good delay between the flash and bang, eh?

Splain' dat to me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Besides that you never see the missile come back in on the long shot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In the long range view, notice how there is NO delay between the visual of the explosion and the audio?

Splain' dat to me.
View Quote

There is on my version. And in the version I downloaded some months ago, they cut at the end to a remote camera thats to the left side and very close to the tank.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Besides that you never see the missile come back in on the long shot.
View Quote

Umm... Its 2km down range, the missile is only 42 inches long and its moving at 250mph. And Javelin doesn't leave a smoke trail.

Having said that it IS there if you look closely.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Splain' dat to me.
View Quote

Yeah I noticed that too... the target was about 150 yards away so there should have been some noticable delay.

I think this is a propaganda video the military sends to the Pentagon in order to sell their product. Look at the Crusader, they've been able to milk 11 billion out of them so far.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok it performs great on a clapped out ol' T72 filled with black powder but how would it perform against a Merkava or a M1A2 Abrams equipped with reactive armor? Lemme ax you dat!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I love videos like that does anybody know where I can find more. I love watching people shooting military weapons, Cruise Missles, Machine guns, Gernade Luanchers ans so on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top