Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2002 6:42:35 AM EDT

What does it take to make an ex-military HUMVEE roadlegal/DOT-approved?

I can get a title to one where I live, but it'd be as an off-road vehicle only. I don't much need or care about things like A/C, Radio, etc...so I can live with a bare-bones truck. But, I need to find out what exactily would be involved in making it roadlegal?

Anyone have any ideas? I figure with all the ex-military folk and other types here who's worked with them, someone's gotta know [:)]

(and if anyone has actually worked out an approximate cost to make one road-worthy! that'd help, too.)

Thanks...

Ed
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The simplest way to find out is take it down for a vehicle ispection, they have to give you a list of "defecinces" anything on the list will have to added. Just quesing but probably turn signals and such.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You going to need all of the lights.

Brake, turn, headlights, etc

In illinois, you need wind sheild wipers, but not a windshield.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
a guy i work with just bought one it's an 85 or 86 i think and it is BAREBONES indeed. he paid 22k and i think he got screwed it was legal when he got it, all the lights, horn etc. were already on it
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I would check with these guys, they do it for a living...

www.real4wd.com

(And it may vary by state, like the others said)
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The ones I drove were all road legal.  Required to have lights, turn signals the whole lot.  Then again there may be some special case with military vehicles.  Make sure every thing works then take it down to get a safety inspection and get it registered.  Registration, license, and insurance may be the only thing you really need.  BTW the new led replacement lights and bulbs cost a lot.  When I got out 2 years ago most had changed out.  Also there is no lock for any thing including door and starter.  So your going to need that or just be lucky.  All the ones I got were turbo desel and are great torque monsters but sucks desel like mad.  Make sure you get the 5 gal desel can for the back for insurance.  Hell get 2 and put it in the water can slot.  Maintainance was a pure bitch on those things, and no spare tires, they use run flats.
PS these things have clearance like you would not believe.  Do not get freaked out by the plastic gas tank on the botom etc.  However I have busted 2 oil pans in my short carrer, and destroyed one vehicle out right.  They go any where, but you got to know how to drive off road or you will be just wasteing your money.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Buddy of mine bought one brand new (commercial version, big stereo, ac, etc.) about 5 years ago.  Biggest piece of crap (his words) he had ever bought, and he's bought a bunch of exotic stuff (obviously, he's a rich guy).  He had so many problems with it (quality control was pitiful) he ended up getting his money back on the truck.  Hope the military has better luck with theirs or this one was just a lemon.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think you could buy a ex-military one due to the contract between the manufacturer and the government.  They had worked it into the contract so not to infringe on their commercial version.

Last time I checked into this, you couldn't find a used military one for above reasons.  Have things changed?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for all the help so far, guys! I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it, and if theres anything else (crashworthiness, etc?) that needs to be done if I pick one up..

Quoted:
I didn't think you could buy a ex-military one due to the contract between the manufacturer and the government.  They had worked it into the contract so not to infringe on their commercial version.

Last time I checked into this, you couldn't find a used military one for above reasons.  Have things changed?
View Quote

Yep, they're available, two places (one previously mentioned) to get them are:

[url]http://www.real4wd.com[/url]
[url]http://www.xhumvee.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're interested in a military vehicle, look for a copy of "Army Motors"..There is a lot of ex U.S., and foreign military vehicles out there, that would suit an individual's needs better than a HMMWV..

I know of three individually owned, ex U.S. HMMWV's.. None are running the origional drivetrains, for reasons of maintenance and reliability. The "as issued" fan clutch for example uses engine oil pressure to actuate..

Also, I would highly reccomend driving, or riding in one prior to buying one. Very claustrophobic, and rather noisy..

The "Real 4X4" site is HIGHLY reccomended. I deal with those folks professionally, and highly respect their efforts..

Good luck-
Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The way I understand it is that there are only 500-600 LEGAL ex-Mil HUMVEE's out there. The rest of them that say "offroad only" can't ever be registered to drive on the street.

The offroad only ones are either stolen at one time, and then the title faked somewhere along the line or it was sold as scrap/salvage and someone rebuilt it up. Either way if you don't have all the right paperwork with it saying its street legal, your chances of getting it approved aren't good (read: ZERO).
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#12]
You want a military vehicle that is killer off road, I may have an answer. Have you seen the Styer-Puch Pinzgauers ? Don't have a web site for you so you gotta search.They are built in Austria for the Swiss Army and the surplus ones are now availabel in the USA. Saw some at the Phoenix gunshow last week. They will out Jeep a Jeep. 30k miles go for about 10k. Check them out before you blow bucks on a Humvee.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The only ones that are legal now, including the govt transfer papers, were sold by the marines against DOD rules.

It seems that the marines wanted to procure some special boats, so they worked out a deal with the boat builder. (thats what I read online)

Those will probably be the only ones ever released,  from the govt. Don't expect any more legal ones to become available.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#14]
SniperAz I think you are talking about Mowags.

There is an outfit in the USA who are importing them from Switzerland..

there were something like 5k or so.

I could not find a link to them
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Shawn at Cav Arms has one of the Ex-GI Hummers. Talk to him about what it took to pass DMV inspection. I know several guys with the Austrian Steyr Pinzgauers. They look pretty neat and run from 7-11k. They are noisy as hell and way under powered with the little four cylinder air cooled boxer. Gearing makes up for that off road.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]

License plate light,"padded dash", three point seat belts and DOT windshield glass. FYI the bulletproof windshield is DOT approved!

Try this guy for good info: [url]http://www.real4wd.com/civ/index.cfm[/url]

There have been 3 major variations of HMMWV. Each one a sizeable improvement over the last. If I wanted to buy another I'd search for a '93 or later M998 truck model on eBay for <$15K. Try to get it with the Deep Ford Kit (Tall aircleaner, extended exhaust pipe). The turtleback models are too darn expensive and hard to see out of. Convertible soft top is the way to go. Check the inside of the aircleaner for tranny fluid. If you see any don't buy that truck. The "Transmission Vampire" has struck. Look for underbody rust. Deep rust is bad, surface is okay. Expect to replace the Glow Plug Controller and plugs with the latest models. eBay is good for them. $350 + $100. The GM 6.2/6.5 Diesel is easy to fix but avoid a smoky one if possible.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I was a mechanic(3521)in the USMC 1987-1993.
The cost of a new HumV was 12,700. on the micro-fische parts list.
Why would anyone pay 20,000.00 for a used military issue?

Remember, they are a 24v charging system.
The batteries where known to cook during highway usage.
While towing an axle shaft can break under hard braking stress, Because the rotors are mounted by the differentials.

There is a steering wheel lock. You provide to lock and key.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In illinois, you need wind sheild wipers, but not a windshield.  

View Quote

LOL.. thats goverment for you!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why would anyone pay 20,000.00 for a used military issue?
View Quote

Because the alternative would be to spend $85k on a civilian one..
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/pinzgauer.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
[url]http://www.masonauto.com/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]
The trucks from the USMC 29 Palms Base deal were all 86 or 87's. If somebody tries to sell you a 1990+ Humvee suspect something fishy. Stolen would be my guess. Same goes for those Humvee trailers without plates. Sure they look cool, but they aren't worth a long stay behind bars.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Looking for the source... Because I was looking into one awhile back.

But if memory serves they torch them into chunks now and you can't get one, except for the questionable ones already mentioned.

Still looking for the official word, but what do ya know... ebay has 'em
[url]http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&newu=1&query=military+hummer[/url]

Here is a cantidate [url]http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=75067[/url]

OK Got it, This is from DoD Manual [i]DoD 4160.21-M ; Chapter 4 / Section B[/i] [url]http://131.70.202.82/dynaweb/dlaps/dodman/@Generic__BookView[/url]

Currently, DoD has a rebuild contract with the manufacturer to upgrade and refurbish used Humvees for further DoD use. Humvees that are not suitable for the rebuild program are little more than residue. The military version of the Humvee does not meet DoT safety standards and is not now sold.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Currently, DoD has a rebuild contract with the manufacturer to upgrade and refurbish used Humvees for further DoD use. Humvees that are not suitable for the rebuild program are little more than residue. The military version of the Humvee does not meet DoT safety standards and is not [red] now [/red] sold.
View Quote

Yes, the only ones that are legal are the 86-87 ones from the Marines. But contrary to a previous post, THEY ARE LEGAL TO DRIVE ON THE STREET! They have all the right paperwork. They may not meet current DOT spec's but that doesn't matter. There are only 500-600 of these legal milsurp HUMVEE's out there so make sure you have one thats not stolen or without apporpriate papers.

Ever see some very old Model T's around town?? They certainly are NOT DOT approved, but they still can drive around.

How about any 50's or 60's muscle car? I doubt they meet the current DOT specs.

Geez....some people are way to much of a goody goody.......[whacko]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Here ya go, refurbished to DOT specs for on road use. $36.5K
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/biz/troopsupport/m998.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is another site selling Humvee's.  Available in different price ranges depending on how complete they are and how much "civilizating" has been performed.  [url]http://www.hummersource.com/home.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top