Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2002 9:15:29 PM EDT
[url=www.thehometownchannel.com/news/1548327/detail.html] Deputies Raid Wrong Home, Find Family Inside
Authorities Looking For Two Shooting Suspects[/url]

POSTED: 5:00 p.m. CDT July 8, 2002
UPDATED: 6:50 p.m. CDT July 8, 2002

SPRINGDALE, Ark. -- County deputies searching for two Springdale shooting suspects raided the wrong home Friday in what officials are describing as a misunderstanding.

Lily Crowley was at home with her four children and five grandchildren when Benton County deputies arrived searching for two men accused of shooting a Springdale man earlier that night.

The Crowley's family car matched the description of a car witnesses had seen at the shooting scene.

Deputies made the family wait outside as they searched the home with guns drawn and even handcuffed one of the daughter's boyfriends.

The family said the raid terrified the children, the youngest of whom is 4 years old.

"There's no reason for them to do it the way did it, especially when we told then there was babies inside," resident Tiffany Meehan said. "He held a gun to my mother and she was holding my 3-week-old baby -- that's not right."

Deputy Tom Brewster of the Benton County Sheriff's Office said deputies appeared to be acting on reliable information.

"We're sorry that it turned out that they were shaken up, but they should understand the circumstances," he said.

The family said officers did not tell them why they were there and what they were looking for until after deputies realized they had raided the wrong house.

Police are still searching for the two shooting suspects.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Some 12 guage shell booby traps would have been nice on those doors. Kick, Bang.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Cops are mammals, mammals make mistakes sometimes.  At least nobody got shot.  Same thing happened here one time, because they were looking for house #1289, but knocked down the door of #1286, because the numbers were staggered at a downward angle and the 6 was loose, so it dangled down and looked like a 9. [grenade]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
At least they didn't get shot like James Rainswood did in "An Innocent Man".
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand why this story made the news.
These Police Officers did nothing wrong according to the story.

They had reasonable suspicion to search the house, they are looking for armed and dangerous suspects involved in a shooting, hence why there weapons were unholstered.

Handcuffing the boyfriend is no big deal, you don't have to arrest someone in order to cuff them. It was a safety issue.

I don't see the problem with this, so what the suspects weren't there. No one was injured, there was no property damaged by the police.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They had reasonable suspicion to search the house, they are looking for armed and dangerous suspects involved in a shooting, hence why there weapons were unholstered.

Handcuffing the boyfriend is no big deal, you don't have to arrest someone in order to cuff them. It was a safety issue.

I don't see the problem with this, so what the suspects weren't there. No one was injured, there was no property damaged by the police.

View Quote

God, I hope you are not a LEO.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
God, I hope you are not a LEO.
View Quote

I also hope he's not an LEO.

I own a white chevy pickup, if one criminal in the entire county has been seen driving a white chevy pickup should the county sherriff search my home too?

Ryan
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]
wow.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"We're sorry that it turned out that they were shaken up, but they should understand the circumstances," he said.

The family said officers did not tell them why they were there and what they were looking for until after deputies realized they had raided the wrong house.

View Quote

Mock my words -

One of these days, one of these no-knocks on the wrong house are gonna end in a gun battle between police, and some law abiding citizen who is scared out of his mind by a home invasion, and tries to defend himself from armed "thugs" breaking into his house late at nite.

I've "done the math" in my house. My Sig sits on my nite stand, ready to rock and roll.

If they broke into my house, I can EASILY envision a "worst case scenario" happenning. And I'd prolly end up dead.

That's what happens when the "protect and serve" folks become SWAT teams.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cops are mammals, mammals make mistakes sometimes.  At least nobody got shot.  Same thing happened here one time, because they were looking for house #1289, but knocked down the door of #1286, because the numbers were staggered at a downward angle and the 6 was loose, so it dangled down and looked like a 9. [grenade]
View Quote

They may be mammals but some of them act like reptiles...

No smiley.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Mock my words -

One of these days, one of these no-knocks on the wrong house are gonna end in a gun battle between police, and some law abiding citizen who is scared out of his mind by a home invasion, and tries to defend himself from armed "thugs" breaking into his house late at nite.

I've "done the math" in my house. My Sig sits on my nite stand, ready to rock and roll.

If they broke into my house, I can EASILY envision a "worst case scenario" happenning. And I'd prolly end up dead.

View Quote

It would be interesting if it were a board member.  I hope that were it me, my friends, both locally and on AR15, would know I did nothing to instigate such an incident.  I hope that they would do something to get the truth out.

QS
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...Mock my words -

View Quote

Why don't you out of touch, misinformed cop haters go down to your local police department and ask to do a citizens' ride along (if your town has it)?  Also ask to ride at night in a bad neighborhood.  After you have done that, AND ONLY THEN, come back and let's see if your opinion has changed just a tad bit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#13]
My friend, not only have I done that, but I did an internship at a federal pen.  One on one, and if you're a part of the 'in' crowd, most cops are nice people.  But if you get perceived as an enemy, you're finished.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely!  I live alone, and nobody else has the key.  If I awaken to find somebody in my living room, they're going to have about 1 second to explain themselves from the time my M3 streamlight hits them to the time that the 124 grain +P gold dots start coming.

Realistically, though, I probably would not wake up fast enough, and someone would shoot in bed because I made a "sudden movement" upon waking.  Cynical?  Me?  Nooooooooooooo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
and there is the fact that if anyone of us were to make a similar mistake, it would at the very least be a felony with jail time, if not death sentence, while the law enforcement (on every level) gets rarely more than a reprimand.
View Quote

Hear, hear!  If I was to shoot somebody on the street because they were pointing a realistic toy gun at me, I would go to jail.  I cannot think of any place in the US where I would not.  If a cop did it, it would be ruled that he had reasonable cause to believe he was in danger of his life and acted accordingly.  Just imagine what would happen of one of us tagged a JBT in our living room.

Why???  [b]Because it is our duty as law-abiding citizens to be victims![/b]  We are supposed to catch bullets, not shoot them.  [b][red]Citizens should be granted the same leeway as LEOs with deadly force (both the implements and the actions) when their life is threatened![/red][/b]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a cop hater by any stretch of the imagination.  This incident requires criticisim.  I love it when LEOs get the bad guys, but I am acutely aware of the dangerous legal tools we give them to do it.  

schv (who may be a LEO), posted a response that looked like he was supporting the "you'll take it and like it" tone of the police spokesman in the original post.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:07:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why don't you out of touch, misinformed cop haters go down to your local police department and ask to do a citizens' ride along (if your town has it)?  
View Quote

Whoa!!! Slow down there big fella.....its just the caffeine talking.

Thru my lifetime I have attended church with SEVERAL police officers, and become good friends with ALL of them.

And if you'll check the threads about that punk in Inglewood, I basically said the cops were within reasonable standards in most everything they did.

BUT.....

When thru ineptness they endanger the life of a grandmother and her children and grandchildren, I'm gonna speak up about it.

Worse, eventually ineptness is gonna land them in someones house who has prepared for a late nite home invasion. ANd a HUGE gun battle is gonna ensue.

And the innocent resident will end up dead, and the brass will head straight to the TV cameras and say "THIS is why civilians should NOT have guns - we can't do our jobs" and the sheeple will say "Oh yes, benevolent gov't, take our evil guns away."

ALL BECAUSE these inept fools can't be bothered with [b]JUST RUNNIN' A FRIGGEN LICENSE PLATE[/b] - NOOOOOOO, they'd rather just bust down a door, and then say "OH, people should understand..."

(NOTE: I'm not broadbrushing ALL cops - just the ineptness of these specific individuals.)

BTW, my good cop friend right now is looking to get the #*(( out of law enforcment - cuz of some of the crap I'm talking about.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in the old days, wouldn't they have at least done some surveillance in the house before kicking the door in? Seems to me that nowadays SWAT teams get an address, and rather than verify their info beforehand, they just show up and trash the place.

"At least nobody got shot"
View Quote

Well, from the way things went for that FBI agent in Maryland, it wouldn't have mattered much if they DID shoot somebody. The official response would be something like: "These things happen. It's an unfortunate part of police work. We have determined that the officers acted appropriately.".
I have read of several wrongful SWAT invasions where the kids were pressed to the floor by the muzzles of the MP5's, the house ransacked and damaged, everyone in the place traumatized, and when it was determined that they had the wrong house they left without so much as an apology or an offer to help clean up the mess.
THAT is why people hate SWAT teams.
Did you guys know that the EPA has a bunch of SWAT teams?  WTF does the EPA need even ONE SWAT team. I read somewhere that there are now over 25,000 separate SWAT teams in the US alone.
To me, that constitutes a standing army, pointed directly at US citizens.
THAT is why people hate SWAT teams.

And no, I'm no cop hater. I shoot with several of Pa.'s finest on a regular basis. I just think that too many departments have teams, and that most of those teams' existence is not justified. Too many of them are just gung ho Rambo wannabe's and that's why it has become such a problem. Most teams probably only get one or two chances a year to get a dolled up and play ninja, so they jump at the chance.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Garandman,

Actually, the no-knock gun battle you mentioned has happened.....here in Arkansas actually.  ATF and local authorities suspected a felon was in possession of a >gasp< Win. 30-30 in his home.  Raided the house in the middle of the night, suspect shot and killed.  His wife and maybe some children (don't recall) were also in the home asleep at the time of the raid.  

Interestingly, there was an item in the statewide newsrag the other day that the ATF had only returned one firearm to the widow, despite a law requiring them to do so.  Even more interesting, is the fact that the warrant was, and is, sealed and the U.S. Atty. has fought the media tooth and nail to keep it so,.....despite the fact that the guy is now dead and gone.

Any Arkies on here remember the dead man's name?  Could do a search and probably find the story.

Sam
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Garandman,

Actually, the no-knock gun battle you mentioned has happened.....here in Arkansas actually.  ATF and local authorities suspected a felon was in possession of a >gasp< Win. 30-30 in his home.  Raided the house in the middle of the night, suspect shot and killed.  His wife and maybe some children (don't recall) were also in the home asleep at the time of the raid.  

Sam
View Quote

"Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary safety will lose both liberty AND safety."

-- Ben Franklin (paraphrase)

So its already happened. get ready for more, the more local PD's buy sexy new SWAT gear.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#22]
[/quote]
"Those who would trade essential liberty for [red] a little[/red] temporary safety [s]will lose both liberty AND safety[/s][red] deserve neither liberty nor safety."[/red]

-- Ben Franklin ([red]un[/red]paraphrased)

[/quote]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks boom.

THAT is as true for the local PD as it is for the windbags in Washington.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"Did you guys know that the EPA has a bunch of SWAT teams? WTF does the EPA need even ONE SWAT team. I read somewhere that there are now over 25,000 separate SWAT teams in the US alone.
To me, that constitutes a standing army, pointed directly at US citizens."

I have read somewhere that the IRS has a SWAT team, the US Forest Service has one.  Durn near every government agency has one.
View Quote

A friend of mine and I were riding our dirtbikes in a local sandbank one day.

Someone called the cops.

A green cop (environmental officer, state or local, I'm not sure) came up to us WITH HIS HAND ON HIS 9mm BERETTA, READY TO DRAW DOWN. For the heinous practice of riding out dirt bikes off road. [rolleyes]

Fricken mini- Napoleon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Realistically, though, I probably would not wake up fast enough, and someone would shoot in bed because I made a "sudden movement" upon waking.  Cynical?  Me?  Nooooooooooooo.
View Quote

I envision something like this as well. With all the assholes yelling "police", trying to fool you into thinking they really are police, you take a chance in stopping dead in your tracks. If you really don't believe they are police and continue to move towards your weapon, and it turns out they are police, 9 times out of 10 you're a dead man.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I know the Police have done a couple of raids in Denver and killed the occupant of the wrong house.  In one they had a warrant based on a second hand informant.  The Police lied to the judge in order to get it, and then killed the owner of the house when he went for his weapon.  They then found out the house had nothing to do with drugs or anything else illegal.  The part that really pisses me off is that all they had to do was put up some surveillence and they would have figured out it was the wrong house.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#28]
If you liked that story, you'll LOVE this one:

[url=www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/06/24/MN37934.DTL]Vigilante's ambush collars S.F. suspect[/url]

[b]North Beach tax accountant turns to stun gun after police shelve his requests for arrest in theft[/b]

When San Francisco police said they couldn't spare an officer to arrest a man suspected of stealing Tom Van Lokeren's credit cards and checks, the 47-year-old North Beach tax accountant took matters into his own hands.

Van Lokeren bought a large fishing net at Fisherman's Wharf, some pepper spray and a stun gun at a military surplus store and then lured the suspect into a trap on a busy downtown street.

"I made four attempts to get the police to do their job," said Van Lokeren. "I said, 'Well, I'm going to go ahead with this,' and they said, 'Good luck.' "

On May 30, Lokeren and his nephew used the stun gun and pepper spray to ambush and arrest James Timothy Stevens -- but not without a struggle and foot chase down Mission Street.

"I ran up after him, and I stunned him on the shoulder, then I used the pepper spray," Van Lokeren said. "In all the ruckus, I ended up dropping the net. I never used it."

The incident left both Van Lokeren and San Francisco police officials shaking their heads in disbelief -- for different reasons.

Van Lokeren is upset that police at Central Station merely wrote up a report on the thefts and refused to go out and arrest Stevens. Fraud Detail inspectors wouldn't help either, he said.

"I served this guy up on a silver platter for these guys," Van Lokeren said of the police. "They are just so jaded and desensitized to crime."

A nephew, Paul Van Lokeren, assisted in the arrest and expressed dismay at the lack of police help, saying: "They are basically just report-takers. They are secretaries with guns."

Central Station Capt. James L. Dudley, whose officers took Van Lokeren's report and refused to assist in the arrest, said he understands their frustration.

He was unaware of Van Lokeren's repeated requests for assistance, Dudley said, but his officers are constantly busy responding to calls that often involve emergencies and violent crime. Setting up a stakeout for a suspect in a property crime case is not something the SFPD usually can do.

"It's not a life-threatening situation," the captain said.

Van Lokeren and his nephew made a mistake, turning a property crime into a potentially violent confrontation, he said.

"You don't put yourself in harm's way because you don't like the way the police handled it. What if this guy did have a gun -- and you only have net," Dudley said. "We certainly don't encourage the public to make their own arrest.

That's our job."
View Quote

A job they [i]wouldn't[/i] do.  Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?  And I bet Van Lokeren gets a civil suit for "assaulting" his "victim."  I'm surprised the SFPD isn't charging him with vigilantism.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]
First of all, yeah I am an LEO. Secondly if the event went down EXACTLY as the story says then yes the Sheriff's Deputies were wrong.
But I highly doubt it did, why?

1.I can almost guarantee that they were given consent to search the premise. Because just seeing a similar car as one used is not enough to search a house without a warrant, even the dumbest of cops know that, and do not violate it.

2.They made them wait outside, and cuffed the boyfriend for THEIR safety, how did they know the boyfriend wasn't one of the suspects? And you cannot have innocent people in a premise when you are looking for bad guys.

3.As far as the deputy holding a gun to his mother, I seriously doubt he was doing anything but searching with his weapon at the low ready position, which is warranted if your searching for armed and dangerous suspects.

Here is probably what really happened, Deputies spot a car while on patrol that is similar to the one used in a shooting earlier. They get a few officers to show up for backup, knock on the door and ask the occupants for permission to search the premise, permission is given and the deputies ask everyone to exit the building, upon exit they see a young male who could possibly fit the description of one of the perps and they cuff him for safety reasons while they search the house. Now that all innocents are clear they unholster their weapons and do a tactically sound search of the premises. They occupants get disgruntled after neighbors start showing up to see what is going on and after the police leave they all start talking about how they hate police etc etc. and decide to call the media  and report the horrible brute cops,
and embellish a little for effect.

But again if these Deputies went into this house by force, without a warrant, and physically aimed a weapon at an innocent female whom the Deputy KNEW was innocent, then they should be charged with violation of the 4th Amendment.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Mock my words -

View Quote

Why don't you out of touch, misinformed cop haters go down to your local police department and ask to do a citizens' ride along (if your town has it)?  Also ask to ride at night in a bad neighborhood.  After you have done that, AND ONLY THEN, come back and let's see if your opinion has changed just a tad bit.
View Quote

I did, and it did.  

Instead of just thinking there is alot of bad crap going on with the police, I now KNOW there is a lot of bad crap going on with the local police.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

God I hope you dont live in the same country I do.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Schv must not realize how dramatic and embarrassing being handcuffed is, not to mention painful.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#33]
[b][size=4]Posted By: Hank ________________________________________________
.........i understand that people make mistakes, but these raids are not spur of the moment deals, and for a raid to be planned, on the wrong house, ESPECIALLY when casualties are involved is unexcusable.

That about says it all.  For you LEO's out there, this is the reason why it upsets most of us so!  It could have been any of us instead of them that was needlessly humiliated.  It makes it worse when you guys have the means to MAKE SURE your raiding the right house.

Personally, my sympathy and respect for your job STOPS RIGHT THERE!  
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#36]
You can take that to the bank, Hank.

Arock standing by.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Things can and often do get out of hand,we have some new renters down the street as oposed to most of us owning our own homes.   The new renters are mex-indian decent,three children aprox 3years,six, and maybe nine year old son whom run the neighborhood unparented.

I caught them in my back yard(locked gate) chasing fire-flies,I told them very coarsly that this is private property and you need to go home and play at your house.

The point is what if they had taken what I had said as different than I had said it or made up something totaly different than I had said and told this to there parent!

And the police were then dispatched to my house,do I act like an asshole,getting myself killed or at the very least in deep shit?

No not at all.  I have taught young adults how to use the computer on many occasions but never alone usally three at a time,only because
I am a single adult with no wife at the house.

And you have to think that no matter how hard you try to be right,there is allways that window of murphy that will be there.  I have children so I know what they are capable of.  The wierdest old man down the street from us had pony rides and a pawn shop.

All the kids had said that he was crazy and eat  the ponys when they got old!  I used to cut his lawn when it was too high for any body else to try.    He used the cut grass to feed his ponies.   He sold me my first shot gun (rem 1894 double hammer) for 13.00 when I was 12 years old.

So much like home alone kids don't really see what they percieve as real!

So if you are not guilty when the cops come,be real and in turn you will get treated that way also!  Edited to say I'm not talking about Waco or Ruby ridge here!   Not talking About the burough Of Fucking Idiots.

Just a thought  Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#39]
He said you are a cop basher and should be arrested and charged for obstruction of justice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#41]
[b]Man killed in police raid on wrong house[/b]
October 6, 2000
Web posted at: 12:14 p.m. EDT (1614 GMT)

LEBANON, Tennessee -- Police shot and killed a man in his home in Lebanon, Tennessee, after trying to serve a drug search warrant at the wrong house.

John Adams, 62, who, according to his family, thought he was the victim of a home invasion, fired a sawed-off shotgun at officers as they entered his home. He was killed when they returned fire.

Police apologized for the tragic mistake. The house they intended to target was next door.

[url=]www.cnn.com/2000/US/10/06/tennessee.shooting/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have read somewhere that the IRS has a SWAT team, the US Forest Service has one.  Durn near every government agency has one.
View Quote

The IRS definitely has armed "tactical" teams.  The husband of one of my former coworkers was on one here in the Seattle area.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Frosting on the cake is all these guys got immunity from prosection to go along with their weapons and SWAT teams.

Nothing like lack of accountability to go along with a totally armed government.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
who said that if they're going to pretend at being an army of occupation, then we should play our part too: viva la resistance
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
viva la resistance
View Quote

Imbroglio is changing tack since I suggested that his anti Bush and Republican posts might lead to a new President Clinton, who would immediately seize Imbroglio's arsenal. I suggested that President Hillary would prefer Imbroglio to resist so Hillary could host a barbecue for her lesbian friends.

Imbroglio was anticipating merely the joining ranks of a SHTF resistance cell. Now it seems fate has taken a hand and Imbroglio will be accepting volunteers in his army.

viva la resistance
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they do make mistakes and the bigest one here is if that damn fool had a gun out on a chick with a baby in her arms.
What was he going to do if she pulled something open fire?

Not shooting babies comes before getting bad guys on the run.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I think everyone needs to go on a pick up for dangerous wanted person. The L.E.O. can wait in the car while you go knocking on doors![;D] Take a walk in the shoes boys!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think everyone needs to go on a pick up for dangerous wanted person. The L.E.O. can wait in the car while you go knocking on doors![;D] Take a walk in the shoes boys!
View Quote

Sure. What does this have to do with criticizing rambo style overly agressive assholes?

Are you trying to say that, because cops [b]volunteer[/b] to do a tough job, they should not be held responsible for their actions?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First of all, yeah I am an LEO. Secondly if the event went down EXACTLY as the story says then yes the Sheriff's Deputies were wrong.
But I highly doubt it did, why?

1.I can almost guarantee that they were given consent to search the premise. Because just seeing a similar car as one used is not enough to search a house without a warrant, even the dumbest of cops know that, and do not violate it.

2.They made them wait outside, and cuffed the boyfriend for THEIR safety, how did they know the boyfriend wasn't one of the suspects? And you cannot have innocent people in a premise when you are looking for bad guys.

3.As far as the deputy holding a gun to his mother, I seriously doubt he was doing anything but searching with his weapon at the low ready position, which is warranted if your searching for armed and dangerous suspects.

Here is probably what really happened, Deputies spot a car while on patrol that is similar to the one used in a shooting earlier. They get a few officers to show up for backup, knock on the door and ask the occupants for permission to search the premise, permission is given and the deputies ask everyone to exit the building, upon exit they see a young male who could possibly fit the description of one of the perps and they cuff him for safety reasons while they search the house. Now that all innocents are clear they unholster their weapons and do a tactically sound search of the premises. They occupants get disgruntled after neighbors start showing up to see what is going on and after the police leave they all start talking about how they hate police etc etc. and decide to call the media  and report the horrible brute cops,
and embellish a little for effect.

But again if these Deputies went into this house by force, without a warrant, and physically aimed a weapon at an innocent female whom the Deputy KNEW was innocent, then they should be charged with violation of the 4th Amendment.

View Quote

Hear!! Hear!!  I'd bet the story was written by some bleedin' heart liberal who hates cops as much as a bunch of our liberal newspersons at the Tucson "Red" Star...[uzi]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top