Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 8:41:55 PM EDT
...Again!!

In the Inglewood, Ca. beating case the black community wants to allege racism and get the usual activists involved, shouting "No Justice, No Peace", and again they're going to fail to get what they want.

If they had some white leaders on their side instead of becoming a visible group of black only activists alienating all others, they might get somewhere.

Educating their own community about police relations, and respecting efforts of the police to help their communities, not overreacting to the few police abuse cases would go a long way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Just to let the black people know in advance, there is a Korean with an AR in K town. I'll let them figure out which one when they start rioting.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]Before[/b] the cop who cuffed the kid knew of the video, he wrote in his report that the kid grabbed his... urrhh... "family jewel", so he smacked him one.  Yesterday I heard on radio that the kid's lawyer is already bargaining for a settlement.  When all the facts come out, this case will fizzle out, but the cop will probably lose his job anyway, a sacraficial lamb to appease the "activists".
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[b]Before[/b] the cop who cuffed the kid knew of the video, he wrote in his report that the kid grabbed his... urrhh... "family jewel", so he smacked him one.
View Quote

Got a link?

Found it: [url]http://www.nandotimes.com/nation/story/462856p-3703017c.html[/url]
In a written police report filed Saturday night, apparently before police became aware that a videotape existed, Morse acknowledged punching Jackson, The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday. Morse said he punched the boy only after the handcuffed youth grabbed his testicles.
View Quote

I'll be relieved to a degree if that's the case.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately, as we are seeing more and more, the "facts" are irrelevant now.  It all looks bad, indeed, but the media pronounced this cop 100% guilty immediately.  He sure looks guilty on the edited, chopped down videotape.  Of course no one has talked to the black officer to see if he thought the whole deal was a racial beating.  Oh, that's right, he's a sell-out since he doesn't tow the NAACP/ACLU line blindly.

Right or wrong, that officer is done.

Remember, if there were no racial tensions or crises then Jesse and Al and Malcolm would be out of jobs.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
What bothers me the most about these situations is people always jump at the chance for monetary compensation.  It's fvcking sickening.  Yeah, sure, ask for enough to pay for the damages such as doctor's bills and what not, but asking for anything more in terms of money is pure greed.  Go for what matters and have the cops badge, press reform in the training and/or selection.  Fight to get stiffer penalties for any officer convicted of police brutality.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#8]
More, from the [url=www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-inglewood11jul11.story]LA Times[/url]:
Morse's account was contained in a section of the Inglewood police incident report read to The Times on Wednesday. It contained the first explanation of why the officer hit the boy, who had been slammed onto the trunk of a patrol car, his hands handcuffed behind his back.

The report, written by Morse and his partner, Bijan Darvish, said they "assisted Jackson to his feet and had him stand facing the police vehicle." On the video, it is apparent that Morse slammed Jackson down on the trunk of the patrol car.

The report then says Jackson "used his right hand and reached backward, grabbing Officer Morse in the crotch area. Officer Morse yelled at Jackson to let go. However, Jackson refused and began to squeeze Officer Morse by his testicles.

"Due to the extreme pain that Officer Morse was in and the fact that Jackson was still attacking, Officer Morse used his right fist and punched Jackson one time on the right side of his face," the report said. "Jackson then immediately let his grip loose of Officer Morse."

On the tape, Morse is standing close behind Jackson at that point, but it is unclear from the camera angle whether the boy could have grabbed the police officer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at the officers head in the video he has  been hit in the head by this black guy while restraining him and probably just let his emotions get carried away. I don't think the officer should have hit the black guy after he was restrained and not a threat. I am sick of most blacks screaming racism about everything that happens to them. I do think this officer needs to be reprimanded for hitting the guy after being restrained. I seriously doubt the black guy is innocent of doing anything wrong and should be punished for what he did.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#10]
What bothers me the most about these situations is people always jump at the chance for monetary compensation. It's fvcking sickening. Yeah, sure, ask for enough to pay for the damages such as doctor's bills and what not, but asking for anything more in terms of money is pure greed. Go for what matters and have the cops badge, press reform in the training and/or selection. Fight to get stiffer penalties for any officer convicted of police brutality.
View Quote

You know as well as I do that is the only reason they sue.  Any honorable, respectable person or group would pursue the "issues" and "causes" even when there is no tape or media circus.  I would bet money this kid has been beaten a helluva lot worse by his friends, "brothas" and even his own family.

Why doesn't anyone ever point out why these guys are being arrested in the first place.  I swear, they could shoot an infant but no one would care if the cop twists his arm a little too hard during the arrest.  Frustrating...

Lastly, notice how dad is on the scene, right by his poor son's side?  I wonder if he's been there the whole time or just decided to be a dad when the lawsuit was drawn up?  Where was he when his dear little boy was getting into trouble to begin with?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#12]
That's what I liked about Louisiana Civil Law - there was no such thing as 'punitive damages' in a private civil suit!

Louisiana's reckoning? If the defendant's conduct was [u]that[/u] bad, so as to warrant 'punitive' damages, the offense was against the 'peace and dignity' of the State, and not the individual!

'Punishment' is the province of the State and not that of private citizens!

You could go ahead and collect for all other damages, just not 'punitive' ones!

Eric The(LouisianaMan)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I suspect there are more than a few business owners and citizens who will be prepared for the riots this time.

[shotgun]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Inglewood always up to no good. Isn't that what the "song" said? [:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#15]
There are things called pain compliance techniques that are to be used in situations like that one. And they do work on the majority of the population.....BUT NOT ALL.

There are circumstances that MIGHT warrant striking a cuffed person in the face.

BUT from the video I saw and limited info I have read on this particular incident,  this was NOT one of those times.  

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
You guys are so far off the mark it isn't even funny.  This obliviously wasn't an incident of racism.  That kid didn't get punched because he was black, he grabbed that cops nuts.  The officer must have punched the kid because he's gay.  Can't belive nobody else picked up on this.  It's the homosexuals that are going to be rioting.  Hordes of drag queens roving the streets, singing Barbara Streisand tunes.  Now that's something to be scared of.[}:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You guys are so far off the mark it isn't even funny.  This obliviously wasn't an incident of racism.  That kid didn't get punched because he was black, he grabbed that cops nuts.  The officer must have punched the kid because he's gay.  Can't belive nobody else picked up on this.  It's the homosexuals that are going to be rioting.  Hordes of drag queens roving the streets, singing Barbara Streisand tunes.  Now that's something to be scared of.[}:D]
View Quote

That was two weeks ago in San Francisco!

I like how the story calls the kid "developmentally challenged."  WHen I was in high school, about 10 yrs. gao, the half the "developmentally challenged" kids were just a bunch of punks who had no interest in learning and who naturally scored low on their IQ tests.  This kid is not the dumb, innocent kid the media and the black community is trying to make him out to be.  He's just another gang banger type.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#18]
What's an Afro-American????

I know what an American is, but I'm not aware of any nation called AfroAmerica.

When people insist on attaching something to "American" to me they cease to be American.

Love it, or leave

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#19]
You know it's funny the only people I see getting punched around are black or Hispanic. So maybe the black community is right to cry Raceism...I have not seen one tape even after a chance of a white person being hit AFTER being cuffed.

I will tell you another thing maybe the more money this guy gets the better off. Sooner or later Cops are going to realize you don't beat a cuffed prisoner. Yea the guy had his nuts grabbed. I have had that and worse done to me. Until the guy was cuffed he was fair game. After that I didn't take my anger out on beating him down.

I will tell you that once he got to the Jail he was in big trouble for assaulting a Cop or EMT..But again why is it that white people are not beat like that..Don't tell me because they don't commit crime either. This cop was a powder keg ready to explode anyway..This is not the first time. HE was lucky the first guy didn't show in court. The prisoner was wrong also and got what he deserved before the cuffs went on.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But again why is it that white people are not beat like that..Don't tell me because they don't commit crime either.
View Quote

Why not??

Are you willing to look at the possibility that there MIGHT be a difference between whites and blacks in the frequency, nature, and types of crimes committed???

Sure white folk commit lots of crime. But once you've witnessed a Reginld Denny- style beating of a good friend of yours becasue he had "next game" at the local basketball court by SIX (three intimately involved) black thugs, you become willing to look at the above.

In my experience I have NEVER seen three white guys beat down a single black guy. But I've seen (first hand) the reverse.

I have NEVER seen such hatred as I saw that day.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You know it's funny the only people I see getting punched around are black or Hispanic. So maybe the black community is right to cry Raceism...I have not seen one tape even after a chance of a white person being hit AFTER being cuffed.

I will tell you another thing maybe the more money this guy gets the better off. Sooner or later Cops are going to realize you don't beat a cuffed prisoner. Yea the guy had his nuts grabbed. I have had that and worse done to me. Until the guy was cuffed he was fair game. After that I didn't take my anger out on beating him down.

I will tell you that once he got to the Jail he was in big trouble for assaulting a Cop or EMT..But again why is it that white people are not beat like that..Don't tell me because they don't commit crime either. This cop was a powder keg ready to explode anyway..This is not the first time. HE was lucky the first guy didn't show in court. The prisoner was wrong also and got what he deserved before the cuffs went on.
View Quote

I'll tell you this, manange to grab my cajones after being cuffed, your gonna get an ass-whupping, white, black, green, yellow or purple.  These will be the colors your wearing afterword.  

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The story in the LA Daily News includes this interesting quote -

"A spokeswoman for county prosecutors said there have been no complaints of excessive force against Inglewood police in the last five years."

All organizations have a culture. This tells me something about the culture of the Inglewood Police Department.

Speaking of culture, consider what this little gem says about the culture of the media today -

“It is believed to be the first federal probe of the Inglewood police force, which is 43 percent white in a city of 113,000 that is 47 percent African-American and 19 percent white with a growing Hispanic population.”

Do the math - Think it could have been written differently?  Of course that would not have been PC.

Note to all - I am 100% opposed to the use of excessive force by the police.

Both quotes can be found[url=http://dailynews.com/news/articles/0702/11/new04.asp] here.[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My dad's best friend was beaten to death by 3 off duty police officers who were paid to do so....  Oh, did I mention he was white?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are they going to riot again and destroy their
own business's again ?
Those Dumb ass's...
View Quote

All you folks in Inglewood had better stock up on chicken wings and beepers now...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
That's the problem.  Minorities always accuse whites of being racist.  Even at my school, (where whites are the minority) Mexicans will say stupid shit like "racist whitey" and what not.  They even try to accuse white teachers of being racist when they get bad grades.  Maybe if the stupid little shits paid attention in class and behaved like they should they would get good grades.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
[b]Before[/b] the cop who cuffed the kid knew of the video, he wrote in his report that the kid grabbed his... urrhh... "family jewel", so he smacked him one.  Yesterday I heard on radio that the kid's lawyer is already bargaining for a settlement.  When all the facts come out, this case will fizzle out, but the cop will probably lose his job anyway, a sacraficial lamb to appease the "activists".
View Quote

Umm, I hope nobody here is taking the police's side in this?!

Okay, so the sucker punch was in retaliation for grabbing the cop's crotch. I'll buy that, I paid close attention to the cop's reaction and it does look like he did it in response to something that happened off-camera.

But what possible reason would the cops have for body-slamming the guy into the police cruiser AFTER he was firmly physically in their custody? What if the guy did what he did in retaliation for that? It's not something I'd do in a million years, but the kid could have been a queer or something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But what possible reason would the cops have for body-slamming the guy into the police cruiser AFTER he was firmly physically in their custody? .
View Quote

How about....

....to KEEP the perp firmly in their custody???

Just cuz the cuffs are on DOES NOT mean the perp suddenly becomes casper milktoast.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was growing up in Chicago I had the shit beat out of me by two cops who saw me walking in an alley (alleys were just shortcuts back in those days) with a baseball bat. I was 15. Broken rib, two teeth knocked out, a black eye, and a lump in the back of my head.

It all happened so fast. They didn't arrest me. I didn't even report it. I told my mother and friends I got jumped in another hood.

My word against theirs...would you believe me if the story was on the 10 oclock news? I doubt it. Probably been seen as another nigger claiming police brutality. And as many have expressed on this board, who could blame the cops....adrenaline pumping, etc, etc. Well, that IS the thought process isn't it?    

I went back to the scene a few days later to get my baseball mitt, baseballs and hat (I'm a cubs fan) which were strangely still there next to the blood on the ground where it all happened. Someone had taken the Louisville Slugger I guess.  

I'm black and I watch all cops just as hard as they watch me. I'm a law abiding person and when dealing with police for speeding tickets or just getting directions, I keep it civil and treat them like I'm treated.

But rest assured, if I ever feel like a cop is physically getting out of line and I feel threatened, I will protect myself. I'm not going through that trauma again without defending myself and no innocent man should.

Am I bitter? No.
Are most cops racists? Probably not.
Will one ever wrongly tread on me without a fight? Never again.  

Now, back to the range where I belong....
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sure white folk commit lots of crime. But once you've witnessed a Reginld Denny- style beating of a good friend of yours becasue he had "next game" at the local basketball court by SIX (three intimately involved) black thugs, you become willing to look at the above.

In my experience I have NEVER seen three white guys beat down a single black guy. But I've seen (first hand) the reverse.

I have NEVER seen such hatred as I saw that day.

View Quote

So, if I understand you correctly, you "WITNESSED" first hand, the beating of your so called good friend..... and what did you do to help him? Are you sure he still views you as his friend in return after just standing there witnessing your friend take a beating? Could this also be the reason why you will never see three white guys beating up on a black... because they have a tendency to just stand around and witness?

However, I will now contradict myself, sort of, just to address your post. I can't believe you haven't seen the tape of the white guys beating up on R.King in the R. Denny style that you mentioned....but, I guess your statement has some merit since it wasn't exactly "three" white guys beating up on R.King. We have to keep those numbers straight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoting Corporal Chaos-
That's the problem. Minorities always accuse whites of being racist. Even at my school, (where whites are the minority) Mexicans will say stupid shit like "racist whitey" and what not. They even try to accuse white teachers of being racist when they get bad grades. Maybe if the stupid little shits paid attention in class and behaved like they should they would get good grades.
End quote

Accusations could be avoided if LEO's all wore masks or balaclavas so that no race could be determined (maybe even no name badge to help the bad guy..."hernandez", "o'malley", "chang", etc.)
Also, if there was something similar to the USMJ for LEO's....report and be responsible to their agency only. Keep it in the family....more than professional courtesy, PROFESSIONAL PROTECTION!!!
Don't LEO's deserve the right to do their job without fear of reprisal?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Why doesn't a white person get...
View Quote

I'd guess it happens just as frequently, but it just doesn't ruffle enough feathers to make the news (if it bleeds (or yells 'race', or riots, or sues for big money), it leads)...

Without the race element (for example, if it had been only people of the same race), it wouldn't have been news outside of Inglewood.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the problems with private video tapes is that somehow it seems like they don't start rolling until the officers have been provoked or assaulted and they are taking action to stop the threat or bring the individual under control.

But they don't often catch the part where the "victim" is the aggressor.

It will be interesting to see if the P.O. went to the ER for treatment of swollen nuts.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#35]
i would like to say that i am offended by the words "afro-americans."  i am also offended by all politically correct mumbojumbo and i am offended at politically correct jokes!  thats why i come here.  so i can get the good stuff, the non-politically correct extremly humorous jokes!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i would like to say that i am offended by the words "afro-americans."  i am also offended by all politically correct mumbojumbo and i am offended at politically correct jokes!  thats why i come here.  so i can get the good stuff, the non-politically correct extremly humorous jokes!
View Quote
If your offended by PC stuff, your on the wrong site.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
If your offended by PC stuff, your on the wrong site.
View Quote

what are you talking about?  have you read the stuff here?  sure most of it is PC, but lots of it aint!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#38]
If the officers WANTED to give this kid a bad time, they would have done so while driving him to jail.

I can remember (fondly) a few times when transporting bad guys to jail...You cannot imagine how many stray dogs are jumping out into the street (right in front of a cruiser! stupid dogs!). All you can do to prevent killing the dog is to slam on the brakes, really hard. So hard that the bad guy, who has started spitting on you, accidentally slams his face into the screen.

Good brakes...Ya gotta love 'em! It would be a shame to run over a dog.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
First, even if this was the case, the hood polishing was still uncalled for...no matter what happened before the kid had been hand cuffed and on the ground face down.[/b]
View Quote

According to the cop's lawyer, the suspects legs went limp and had no strength to bend down to the hood. So the cop simply dropped him. What you want him to do, give him a pedicure?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#40]
So now this is a "beating?"The "kid" got slammed up on the car and then punched(once)cause he grabbed a cops nuts,so we're calling that a "beating".That was no beating ,What the Lakers did to the Nets,THAT was a beating.

I don't understand why everyone thinks this happens only to minorities.Weren't any of the white people here ever young and a little crazy once?Its been my experience that police will use intimidation or force against any color person who disrespects them,fights or generally behaves like a jackass.Most of these people being the late teen to early twenty "invicible" types.

When I was that age my friends and I liked to drink,occasionally we liked to speed.I've been thrown up against a cop car,cuffed,on my knees with my head pushed around by an officers billy club(while he screamed at me)for not pulling over in a timely fashion.I had a bunch a cops pointing their guns at me and some others jumping in behind me and taking me down cause they thought I was some other jackass.I've seen other drunk friends get smartass and resist,and get taken down in a swift and violent way(the forearm in the face ,knee in the back off the head treatment).

The last thing I ever thought of was calling Jesse Jackson and asking him to make me a millionair.Mostley I thought about how stupid I was to get myself in that position,and a little pain  reminded me to treat the police with respect.

Now that I'm older and wiser I don't get myself in those situations.It doesn't mean I love every cop that pulls me over (some are unreasonable pricks),but I interact with them in a respectful manner and get on with my day.I can't understand why anyone would ever combat the police in the steet,thats the way you get yourself killed( I'm sorry to hear the poster walking home with his baseball gear ran into a couple of assholes who happened to be cops)I'll take the beating and live to fight in court.Besides I have a certain amount of respect for anybody that does that job for a living(and thankfull that there are people that do)I couldn't,IMO its shitty and I could not control myself around some of the scumbags they deal with.

Anyhow,I havn't seen what happened before the "beating"and I can't see whats going on with the kids legs or hands behind that car,so I don't really know what happened.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I posted these comments on another forum and after reading this thread felt compeled to put in my 2 cents worth here, also.

Well, maybe I'm being confused because I happen to have rather short arms and a big ass. But if I bend at the waist, simulating the position the kid would have been across the trunk of the car, with my hands behind me, I can't even reach my own bunghole much less the nuts of someone standing behind me.

And in any case, I don't know about the rest of you, but someone would have to be awfully quick to get much of a hold on the old family jewels before I got them pulled back to a safe distance.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see the kids hands in a position to theaten the cops crotch. I did see the kid get slammed. I did see the kid get punched. I did see the kid with the cops hands around his neck. All this while the kid is handcuffed.

I also read that the kids lawyer states that the kid came out of the store to find his father being questioned by the sheriff's deputy. The deputies saw the expired regisration after the car was already stopped getting gas. The lawyer also states that the deputies had the kid sitting in one of their cars when the Englewood PD showed up. If all of that is true, and I've heard no credible evidence to the contrary yet, what caused the kid to go combative on the police to warrent the violent arrest.

Anybody got any theories to anwer these questions?

One other thing just ocurred to me. When the officer picks the kid off the ground, why did he slam the kid to the trunk instead of just walking him straight to one of the crusiers?

It doesn't appear that any of the officers frisk the kid while he is over the trunk. I would assume they had already frisked him while he was face down on the ground. And when the kid is first dropped on the back of the car none of the other officers immediately come up beside the kid like they fear he might have a weapon.

So why a body slam before we put the kid in a car?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Come on guys
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what possible reason would the cops have for body-slamming the guy into the police cruiser AFTER he was firmly physically in their custody? .How about.... ....to KEEP the perp firmly in their custody??? Just cuz the cuffs are on DOES NOT mean the perp suddenly becomes casper milktoast.
View Quote

It's hard to tell if you're kidding or not. In case it's the latter, cops don't get to use excessive force if the think suspect "may" try to evade arrest. Clearly in this video, there was no attempt to flee, although I wouldn't blame him if I had 3 pigs like those wailing on me.

I don't see a white cop beating up a black suspect. I see a cop abusing his authority against a citizen who is innocent until proven guilty. Bad cops, like corrupt politicians, deserve one between the eyes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top