Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 7:13:51 PM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/714051/posts[/url]

Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta has made another controversial
                             decision that seems to place politics and political correctness above national
                             security.

Mineta, President Bush's only Democrat in the Cabinet and a holdover from the
                             Clinton administration, has steadfastly opposed ethnic profiling as a tool in airport
                             security screening. He has described it as "surrendering to actions of hate and
                             discrimination." So grandmothers and nuns get frisked, while young Arab males
                             sail through security.

He then blocked efforts to arm airline pilots, but left it to the White House to
                             express the administration's fear of "guns loose on airplanes." Mineta and the
                             administration prefer more reliance on federal sky marshals, stronger cockpit
                             doors and better screening. But that seems hollow in light of recent undercover
                             tests that found that fake weapons, knives and explosives got by airport security
                             screeners much of the ti
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Mineta and the administration prefer more reliance on federal sky marshals, stronger cockpit doors and better screening. But that seems hollow in light of recent undercover tests that found that fake weapons, knives and explosives got by airport security screeners much of the time
View Quote

Not to mention that fact that there are only enough sky marshalls for one out every 70 flights...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
And that 85% of all flights with a sky marshall originate from Washington, D.C.

I'll bet Norm Moneta (transportation secretary) doesn't get on many flights without assurance that there will be a sky marshall on board.

"Don't do as I do - Do as I say".  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll bet Norm Moneta (transportation secretary) doesn't get on many flights without assurance that there will be a sky marshall on board.
View Quote

I doubt he flies with the "little people" at all. Probably has a C-130 with his name painted on the side.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
He is a pebble in the sandal of the American flying public.

The sooner this stupid little pebble is removed the sooner we can be assured that good common sense prevails at the Department of Transportation!

Apparently, there is such an insufficient number of Japanese Americans who have chosen public service careers, that this cretin gets passed around from administration to administration to fulfill some unpublished racial quota of some type!

You must simply understand, my dear friends, our almost 'Normal' Norm Mineta was a child when he and his family were moved to a camp in Aridzona as part of the Relocation Act of 1942.

As the young Mineta boarded the train, an Army M.P., seeing the baseball bat in the arms of this young child, took it from him, saying 'You won't need this where you're going!'

Stupid Army M.P.!

But for Normal Norm Mineta to base his entire Department's refusal to 'racial profile' for suspicious passengers on that boyhood incident is more than just stupid!

It's criminally stupid!

Eric The(ArrestThatMan!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Mineta Strikes Again
View Quote

Aw, shucks, I thought you meant the little weenie was on strike.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And that 85% of all flights with a sky marshall originate from Washington, D.C.

"Don't do as I do - Do as I say".  
View Quote

If NO flights in or out of DC were allowed to have sky marshals, there would be no question about pilots being allowed to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top