Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2001 5:46:28 PM EDT
Bear with me it has been many  years since 1973 when I read this book......

IT was called "The Fifth Column" and was about a few scientists who were holed up in a secret installation in the grand canyon (A research facility) while the "Pan Asians" invaded a sleeping America, took over and basically had everyone in camps, but allowed some to worship religion...scientists develop a ray gun that will kill according to race and dress up as "monks, priests" and carry a staff (raygun)...they travel the country and distribute staffs to other "priests" around the country and we win.  I think...I can't remember what happens.   Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow - that one sounds like it is in the same racist BS league as the Turner Diaries. How did you manage to read the whole thing?
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea where that book came from, save that I got it on an airbase since that was the only source of english books in 1973 on that airbase overseas.  I was around 10-11 yrs old...
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting they way they used religion to fight the "Pan-Asians" though..
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting they way they used religion to fight the "Pan-Asians" though..
View Quote

speaking of which, maybe G.W. will put the fear of GOD into those "PAN-ASIAN"
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorrry if it sounded racist, i was merely trying to remember this book, I see your point though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
satcong,

da-da-dammit to hell if it SEEMED racist. Like Limbaugh, I know I'm right....you just wanted an answer to your question.  

So, dammit, War of the Worlds was racist because of a "bug" that only killed the Martians.  And that V series was racist because scientists figured out a compound that only trashed out the lizards.

Adam White(first every white guy?) must have got hit with the PC virus and "feels" guilty for something.  AW, I might have a beer or soda of your choice with you someday, but tonight you pissed me off.

Dave S

BTW AW, thanks for the Rand post. Tomorrow, I'm buying.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You probably read the book wrote by Robert Heinlein (6TH Column). It was from another story that was written by Edmond Hamilton (I think).Anyway, it was written in the 40s and Heilein was talking to the original arthur and told him it was overdone and made the main characters asume racist and godlike roles (or something similar) and the original arthur told him to rewrite if he thought he could do better. He did.
The ray could be used to do many different things (some kind of vibration on a moleculear level) one of the things was to kill people or to fine tune it to kill people of a certaint genetic makeup. In the end of Heinleins' version a Asian saved everybody's ass by taking out one of the characters that had gone mad and believed that he had become a God and giving up his own life in the process.
The first version was very racist, Heinleins' version might be considered racist by todays PC standards but I don't believe it was.
Please excuse my misspellings.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Dave: My only point was that a book that features such an US vs. THEM scenario, esp. since it seems to obvously imply that all "real" americans would NOT be of Asian descent, is inheritantly racist, collectivist thinking. When I have come across such (such as the Aforementioned Turner Diaries) I have been unable to stomach the whole book.

Aliens are a non-issue, since no Martians or "V" Aliens were also Americans.

It is the whole idea that freedom is a race thing that bugs me. I meet very pro-freedom / anti-communist Koreans over here and I have met many gun-grabbing / pro-communist "real" Americans back in the U.S.

I don't think resisting racist / collectivist thinking is too PC. And leave my name out of this [:D]

Oh, and I am a beer guy. [:)]

Adam

Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually a racial weapon is not that far off.
Genetically a government could come up with a germ/genetic warfare that killed one race more easily than others.
This would really only be useful against racist, homogenous societies like Japan, North Korea.
A melting pot like Great Britain, Austrailia or America would be have a much better chance of surviving.
Rumours in the Arab world had Jewish scientists developing such biological weapons. Of course this would be a stupid idea since many Israeli citizens have the same genes as their Arab neighbors, they are both Semetic.

On another subject, I loved Heinlein and grew up with him influencing a lot of my ideas. I sure glad I read instead of listening to "Rage Against The Machine"
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a Robert A. Heinlein book.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone, I thought maybe I was dreaming the whole thing.  Appreciate the fact that this board has a lot of responsive, supportive people with a wealth of knowledge.

Respectfully,

Pete
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, the original story was by Astounding editor John W Campbell, and it was blatantly racist.  Heinlein took the plot and turned it into something more palatable.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC the book had a title change to, "The Day After Tomorrow."
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish some chem warfare lab would release a reanimation virus so there would be Dawn of the Dead.
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
I wish some chem warfare lab would release a reanimation virus so there would be Dawn of the Dead.
View Quote

even dead their not going to give up the sex to you.[XX(]
Link Posted: 4/3/2001 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]
great to see I'm not the only fan of Heinlein on this board.I wonder how many AR owners out there "grok"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top