Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 6:05:09 PM EDT
My LD provider went belly up recently.  No longer have LD service other than my cell phone.  On occasion, I need to make a call but rarely spend more than $10 or so per month.

I need suggestions for a new LD company.  Must not be ANTI like MCI, ATT or Worldcom.  Prefer no monthly fee, even if rates are higher.  Dial-around is fine.  I use it so little it doesn't need to be a dial one plan.  I see GOA has an agreement with a provider & will call them in day or two but want your input.

THANKS!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have NO LD provider. I just dial 10 10 811 Its 5 cents per minute and comes up on my phone bill just like a  regular charge. I have been using them for a year with no problems. They do charge a 10 minute minimum, but 50 cents wont kill me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was sure 10 10 811 was 5 cents/min, FLAT rate. (No 10 min minimum...)

Use 10 10 811 for IN-STATE LD

For OUT OF STATE LD, 10 10 636 gives you the same deal, 5 cents/min.

I am pretty certain if you use them vice-versa, it costs 15 cents/min.

Either way, it is alot cheaper than AT&T (The gun owners friend...), Worldcom/MCI ("We just sold our company and employees down the crapper...") Plus, I forget who I was calling by the time I punch in a 58 digit calling card number!!!

Mugzilla
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I use and reccomend [url]www.mei-protel.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.onesuite.com[/url]

Prepaid via website. Operates like a calling card. 2.9 cents a minute--thats it. No connection fees. No minimum call lengths. Call for three minutes at 2 pm on a tuesday? 2.9 cents times three is  your bill.

You get a 1800 number to dial, and a pin number. AFter doing that  you can make your calls.

You can set up a few phone numbers for "zip dial" where it reads caller ID to get your number and skips the entry of the pin number.

Keep track of your account on the website.

Buy in $10 chucks so you're not sitting on a hughe stash if they go belly up.

Most of my family has been using this for over a year.

It's well worth checking out at least.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I had net2phone calling card.  It uses internet to make long distance calls and it was cheap.  I haven't used it in almost a year so I recently closed my account.  Voice quality is not as good as using telco.  Once in awhile I would get severe echo, or get disconnected.  When you want to make a call, you have to dial a local number, enter your account number, and your PIN.  But I experienced problems frequently.  After account number and PIN is verified, the system is supposed to ask me to enter the number i want to call, but frequently it would just hang and not able to make a call.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
NO Monthly Fee!
Only 5¢ Per Minute.
Low 50¢ Minimum Per Completed Call.
Available 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A week!
No Need To Change Your Existing Carrier.

Stay in touch for less with one of the best values in long distance today for both state-to-state AND in-state calls. Just dial 10-10-811 + 1 + the area code and number and see the savings for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]www.onesuite.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top