Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 4:59:04 PM EDT
Curious to know...someone on another board said these would be better than regular cartridges; for airplanes.  Never even considered these or bean bags so like I said, I am curious.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you that rubber pellets in a 12GA round will severly injure up close.

Why not take the terrorist out. No f'in around.

Frangible rounds may be more suited, but most armed LEOs who fly have thier duty ammo and it's full power.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen any except for 12 gauge shot guns and rifles, I've seen bean bag rounds (again 12 gauge), all of which can knock the snot out of you, and am told they can be lethal at close range. Then again, some can brush the hit off and respond with something which I fear are not rubber bullets. The Israelis use rubber  bullets  a lot and get some fatal hits with them, the legal term for them I think is less likely to produce lethal results.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought flight security was using either normal bullets or compressed metal powder slugs. Something like Magsafe.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask the Palistanians...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got some .38 cal rubber bullets that you ream out the flash hole and put a magnum primer in and press the bullet into the case.  they take out plastic beer cups really well. They say they could be lethal.  I'm not wanting to find out though.  I may chrono  some next weekend just to see. I'll let you know.   You can reuse the bullet if you can find it.  Wear safety glasses.  Like red ryder, they'll put your eye out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ask the Palistanians...
View Quote

Israeli troops shoot 5.56x45mm M855 at Palestinians. No bean bags, rarely rubber bullets... they save those for their own citizens. They were shooting Ruger .22s for awhile as "crowd control", stopped when the rounds became "more lethal than anticipated". Duh.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got some .38 cal rubber bullets that you ream out the flash hole and put a magnum primer in and press the bullet into the case.  they take out plastic beer cups really well. They say they could be lethal.  I'm not wanting to find out though.  I may chrono  some next weekend just to see. I'll let you know.   You can reuse the bullet if you can find it.  Wear safety glasses.  Like red ryder, they'll put your eye out.
View Quote

Thanks.  Might help appease those that don't want guns in planes.  Thing is, if they aren't lethal then do they just really hurt?  And if they just really hurt does that mean if a terrorist charged a cockpit hitting the guy with the gun on the head might just be wiser?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is an extensive story on rubber bullets from the L.A. Times.
Study: Rubber Bullets Are Dangerous
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=119239[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
While not "rubber bullet," the Def-Tech #23BR beanbag round takes an average of three hits to "stop" a subject, or at least egt them to cease their aggressive actions. I think about seven people have been killed by this same load, but common use-of-force rules for these rounds limits their use to situations where deadly force is authorized, anyways, and are usually backed-up with deadly-force options.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
A whole horde of people have been killed in Northern Ireland by rubber bullets and their cousins, but I'm pretty sure most of those were head shots, or hits to the body when it was a little kid.

I don't know if these would be "better" for a plane. After all, we aren't talking about crowd control, really.

Wouldn't a low velocity HP be better?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#11]
All of the Air Marshalls I have Talked to are using full power .357sig with Gold Dot HP. Penetrating the skin of the plane is not an issue, its only drastic in the movies, planes will not "explode" from one or two small holes in the skin or a broken window.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A whole horde of people have been killed in Northern Ireland by rubber bullets and their cousins, but I'm pretty sure most of those were head shots, or hits to the body when it was a little kid.
View Quote

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Don't forget though: the RUC wasn't firing 12 gauge rubber rounds. They were firing something that looks like an M79 breechloader, and the projectile itself resembled a .50 caliber [b]cartridge[/b].

Off topic: Isn't it refreshing to see the RUC fighting the Orange Order during marching season for a change?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Are they ribbed and do they have the funny resevour on the end. [;D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top