Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 4:33:50 PM EDT
For those who are not familiar, author Clive Cussler has written a series of books chronicling the adventures of a character named Dirk Pitt. If not evident by his name, Dirk Pitt is a take no prisoners balls to the wall man's man. In every book Dirk invariably succeeds in accomplishing the following:
Rescuing a beautiful woman from certain peril at the hands of miscreants intent on ultimately destroying the world; getting the girl; kicking a lot of bad guy booty; discovering a hoard of ancient treasure; and ultimately saving all of mankind.

Pretty trite, but I hate to admit that it's tough to put down one of his books. For anyone looking for an easy read action/ adventure series, I highly recommend.

Any other opinions?

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have all of his books in hard cover except his first one and his latest one because I can't find the damn things! He is one of my favorite authors and many other members here read him too. This subject comes up occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I kid of enjoyed the psuedo historical aspects of the books. The earlier books threw some big whammys out there, just look at Raise the Titanic. Unfortunately the movie should have been made now, not way back then.

I've got a small collection but haven't been keeping track at what's the latest.

Good reads, kind of like a summer action movie. But on paper...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of his ideas and 'historical' backgrounds are good. His characters are cardboard.
His real life book about real shipwrecks is really great. He needs to do a lot more of those books.

['real' pun intended]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I love his stuff, very entertaining. I love Giordino and Sandecker.
Later,
R
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Have all of them and cant wait for the next one. However the new series with the Austin character I dont care much for. He took Pitt and made him 25 years younger, added the exact same surrounding cast (younger) and cranks out the same stories. Looks like a little bit of greed to me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For those who are not familiar, author Clive Cussler has written a series of books chronicling the adventures of a character named Dirk Pitt. If not evident by his name, Dirk Pitt is a take no prisoners balls to the wall man's man. In every book Dirk invariably succeeds in accomplishing the following:
Rescuing a beautiful woman from certain peril at the hands of miscreants intent on ultimately destroying the world; getting the girl; kicking a lot of bad guy booty; discovering a hoard of ancient treasure; and ultimately saving all of mankind.
View Quote

[rolleyes] I like James Ellroy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have read all of his books (except for the newest Kurt Austin one).  They are cheesy, predictable, far-fetched, and silly in some spots.  I still can't put them down.  They read like an action/adventure movie and are just a lot of fun.  My wife calls them the male equivalent of the romance novel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Pure escapism!  I love it.  

Have you tried the Blaine McCracken novels by Jon Land?  More shooting and general destruction.  Not as well written, but a good read none the less.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pure escapism!  I love it.  

Have you tried the Blaine McCracken novels by Jon Land?  More shooting and general destruction.  Not as well written, but a good read none the less.
View Quote

Blaine McCrackenballs!

Those books rock!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I want to be Dirk Pit when I grow up [:)]

I espacally like it when Pit meets Cussler at antiuqe car races/shows.

echo6
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#11]
"The male equivalent of the romance novel" -- that's a good one!

I've read every one.  They are predictable and the characters a bit shallow, and the plots farfetched, but it is escapism at its best.  And that's what I want when I shut off work after 12-16 hr days and 70 hr weeks.  Of course, along with shooting and gun shows.

Other favorite authors include:

Jack Higgins
John Sandford
Jon Land
G M Ford
John MacDonald
Robert B Parker
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Matt Reilly
Rick Hanson
Donald Westlake
Allastair MacLean
Tom Clancy (when the novels were good)

among others.

Noah

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Cussler is one of my favorite authors of all time. Absolutely GREAT!

Dirk Pitt is THE MAN. Unfortunately, Kurt Austin is just a Dirk Pitt wanna-be. The first Austin story wasn't all that great. Never read the second one, but the third (I just finished it, but can't remember the title!) wasn't too bad.

Pacific Vortex and The Meditterranean Caper never came out in hardcover (Clive told me so in a letter he sent me back in '87). Bummer! I've managed to scrounge up like-new hardcovers of all his other books.

My favorite is still Treasure...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to like Cussler's books,but after a while the stories got too ridiculous, his good guys too good, and his bad guys too bad.

I think he started reading too many of his own books.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Cussler's Dirk Pitt (I call him Dirt Pit) books are a hoot. I listen to them on tape in my car driving to work. Lightly entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Have read all of them and enjoy them.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I may have read Cussler once or twice. [;)]

Cussler is my favorite, his plots are great. The way he weaves the past into the present makes for great reading. By the way his newest book is out but I'm not sure of the title.

Only Pitt and Giordino could drive across the Sahara in an stolen antique car or sail across the ocean in a bathtub!

Great reading if you haven't tried him.

Dirk
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top