Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 1:52:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Put that Klinton-heldover Mineta with all 100 senators on a plane filled with angry-looking Middle Eastern men all holding Koran, and circle the plane over DC over and over, and see how fast these pussywillows change their mind.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Opponents of the legislation have expressed concern that an errant bullet could kill a passenger or knock out a critical electrical system.

TSA head John Magaw, who announced the administration's position against guns in cockpits, has said that a pilot should give undivided attention to flying his plane, landing it as quickly as possible and conducting in-flight maneuvers to keep hijackers off balance.
View Quote

These arguments are hilarious.

Rather than the chance of killing a passenger, we'll leave the cockpit undefended and destroy the entire plane.

Rather than shoot a hijacker that has breached the door, the pilot should ignore the fact he is being beaten to death and concentrate on landing.  Don't forget to do some radical maneuvers to throw the attacker off balance.  These maneuvers are even easier to do during the landing sequence.

Now I wonder...is this issue *strictly* about guns?  Are they so fearful of a gun that they don't realize the security benefits of having it available?

Or is it simply an issue of ignorance?  I suspect its a bit of both.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put that Klinton-heldover Mineta with all 100 senators on a plane filled with angry-looking Middle Eastern men all holding Koran, and circle the plane over DC over and over, and see how fast these pussywillows change their mind.
View Quote

I think that would really work!

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Bush has surrounded himself with anti gun jackasses like Ridge, Mineta and Magaw.  They show their ignorance everytime they open their mouth.  It is clear they have no concern for the airline industry, the passengers or potential victums on the groung.  Should their be another hijacking, these idiots should be PROSECUTED FOR MURDER!!

Their is no need to point out how stupid their arguments are or what their real agenda is.  We may not have elected Gore but what we got is not that much better.  Makes me want to puke.

Maybe Bush will fall and break his neck, lketting us enjoy a few years of Cheney and REAL leadership for a change.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"If there is a credible threat that requires arming pilots, why would you restrict yourself?" said an amendment sponsor, Rep. Peter DeFazio, [b]D-Oregon[/b]. "Having that minuscule number of pilots trained and armed would not make any sense. If the pilots should be armed, there should be some significant number."
View Quote

[shock]  This came from a Democrats mouth?  I don't believe it!

Keving67

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[shock]  This came from a Democrats mouth?  I don't believe it!
View Quote

I saw Barbara Boxer on the news supporting the arming of pilots.  No wonder it's so hot lately - hell froze over sent all the heat up here.
View Quote

I saw the samething, I couldn't believe my eyes. This truly the dawn of a new day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link to my rant on Baxer: Warning: Language fit for a sailor.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=131470[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet!!!!!!! Stick it to the Bush Administration. I only hope it passes the Senate.
BTW, the vote was veto proof too!

Quoted:
In this case, House GOP leaders have been at odds with the administration, which has repeatedly argued that cockpit crews should focus on flying planes and let air marshals worry about security.
View Quote

Kind of hard to fly the plane with a hijacker beating you over the head or slicing your throat. Also, how can air marshals worry about security when they aren't even on the plane? There are about 1400-5000 air marshals, and 35,000 flights a day. There is NO WAY they could be on every flight.

Though Republican and Democratic leaders of the House Transportation Committee agreed to arm only a fraction of the pilots, rank-and-file lawmakers voted to expand the program to any pilot who volunteers.
View Quote

I love this. The leaders were trying to appease the anti's, and the rank-and-file said "Screw You!" [:D]

Opponents of the legislation have expressed concern that an errant bullet could kill a passenger or knock out a critical electrical system.
View Quote

And how would that be worse than the plane flying into a building or the ground, killing everybody? And BTW, all modern passenger airplanes have MULTIPLE systems, with backups and reduncies galore. Even if a bullet took out an system, there are backups, which a single bullet couldn't knock out because they run the backups apart from the main system(like running the main cables on one side and the backups on the other.)
Plus, there is frangible ammo specifically made for airlines, which don't over-penetrate flesh and don't pierce the hull of the airlines.
And what about the air marshals? They have guns, correct? What about an errant bullet from them? Oh, but that's right, they are government agents, and we can't trust the paeons to have the same power as the government.

TSA head John Magaw, who announced the administration's position against guns in cockpits, has said that a pilot should give undivided attention to flying his plane, landing it as quickly as possible and conducting in-flight maneuvers to keep hijackers off balance.
View Quote

As before, how get the pilot give undivided attention when a hijacker is killing him?
And like someone said, I think a nice .45 can keep a hijacker off balance.

Magaw said the presence of air marshals on board many flights and the use of reinforced cockpit doors provide sufficient protection against terrorists.
View Quote

If the doors don't stay closed, then the doors are useless. Plus, I'd imagine that the doors can still be broken by a hijacker if he wanted to.
As for the presence of air marshals on many flights: HA! Its more like a few flights, at most.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top