Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 10:25:50 AM EDT
operator_error.

Okay, dude, I know it really wasn't from you. [;)] Just had to fun ya' some. [:D]

Here is the warning I got from my ISP.

[b] From: operator_error
   Subject: A special  good tool
   Virus: Exploit-MIME.gen.b [/b]

Anyway, this must be a Klez-type virus.

Be aware that a new/another Klez-type virus is going around.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I get this stuff every couple of days.  Anyone think I should be nice and email them saying I know the virus email most likely didn't originate from you since I know how the Klez virus works.  But might be in your best interest to run a few checks just in case?

Or should I not even bother?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
During the height of the Klez scare I received a message from a system administrator some where informing me I had sent them an infected message. The first thing I did was go offline and start a virus scan with Norton. It didn't find a thing so I came back here and downloaded the Klez removal tool that is tacked at the top of the forum topics. That didn't come up with a virus either.

So some one of my friends must have been infected and Klez got my address from them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#3]
i'm not sure it's even worth it to email the people you get "tainted" emails from.  i'm not even sure the emails originate from that person, that computer, that email addy, whatever.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i'm not sure it's even worth it to email the people you get "tainted" emails from.  i'm not even sure the emails originate from that person, that computer, that email addy, whatever.
View Quote

I know, thats why I said just in case it came from you.  Guess I won't bother, get them once or twice a week or sometimes every other week now as opposed to almost at least once a day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
dudes and dudettes,
Just make sure you have a reliable anti-virus program running, like NAV or McKafee (sp?), and update the virus definitions constantly.  If you don't update, then you should uninstall your anti-virus, b/c there's no point in it being on there if you don't update.  I'm an IT manager for my company, and we deal with this all the time.  Of couse, this won't make you 100% invulnerable, but it's close.  ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top