Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 8:19:20 PM EDT
Woman: Unser hit, left her on highway
Associated Press

Unser Jr.
INDIANAPOLIS -- Al Unser Jr., who had worked to put a racing slump and troubled personal life behind him, is accused by a girlfriend of hitting her after they left a strip club.

Jena L. Soto, 38, of Albuquerque, N.M, told police Unser struck her early Tuesday while she was driving him home because he was drunk. She accused him of hitting her in the face and leaving her on the side of a highway in the middle of the night.

The report dismayed Unser's uncle, Bobby, who said his nephew, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, was having a positive year after some personal and professional struggles.

whole story below
[url]http://msn.espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2002/0709/1403508.html[/url]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Little Al? The Richie Cunningham of racing?

WOW!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess he was depressed that his career has been in the toilet for years, so bad that he had to go to the IRL (Idiotic/Inferior Racing League).
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Great him and Stone Cold Steve Austin can join the women abuser's club...

Seriously they both have alot in common..Two washed up former stars whose first wives took them to the cleaners..

Sad but true..
-Andrea
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Could Michael Andretti be far behind?

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
With a DV charge* against him the police should impound his car,he could use it to run her over.Why do we even bother with wominz,they have a bad day,"FEEL"bloated,and call the cops on us for looking at them funny,which is interpeted by police as DV.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess he was depressed that his career has been in the toilet for years, so bad that he had to go to the IRL (Idiotic/Inferior Racing League).
View Quote

Actually little Al has been in the bottle for quite a while, ever since his divorce, Penske carried him for years, but after he refused to straighten up had to let him go.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess he was depressed that his career has been in the toilet for years, so bad that he had to go to the IRL [red](Idiotic/Inferior Racing League)[/red].
View Quote

WHAT???  Chimborazo like IRL.  IRL fun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
funny.  the story as i heard it hear was that they got in an argument when HE was driving.  in a drunken(?) rage, he tried to stop the car on the freeway (465) and nearly caused an accident.  she backhanded him to get him to stop driving dangerously, whereupon he started hitting her in the face.

she was able to get out of the car and called the police.

LEOs went to track where lil' al was staying.  he denied even knowing her at first, but when that excuse didn't meet with positive reception, he tried to justify his actions by saying.......[i]"Well, she hit me first.[/i]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Way back when Al Unser, Sr. and Mario Andretti were battling it out, there were high hope that their kids would continue the dynasties.  Little Al had class, he was somebody, he was a contender.  But look at him now, he's just a bum.

And what's up with that mole on his face?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd say that Lil' Al is now qualified for NASCAR. [}:D]

I heard that they were both on their way back from a strip club. Think he was "frustrated"?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I was a fan of Little Al, way back before the IRL / CART thingy, When his dad still raced.
Sorry to hear about this deal, I'll remain neutral until things are settled.

anyway, I was kind of glad to see the racers coming back to the tracks together.  I even went and got tickets to see them all here in Denver at the [url=http://www.denvergrandprix.com/]Denver Grand Prix[/url] coming up at the end of August.

Given the choice, I'd rather watch F1. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was a fan of Little Al, way back before the IRL / CART thingy, When his dad still raced.
Sorry to hear about this deal, I'll remain neutral until things are settled.

anyway, I was kind of glad to see the racers coming back to the tracks together.  I even went and got tickets to see them all here in Denver at the [url=http://www.denvergrandprix.com/]Denver Grand Prix[/url] coming up at the end of August.

Given the choice, I'd rather watch F1. [:)]
View Quote
This is a CART race.  Little Al and the rest of the IRL flunkies won't be there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess he was depressed that his career has been in the toilet for years, so bad that he had to go to the IRL [red](Idiotic/Inferior Racing League)[/red].
View Quote

WHAT???  Chimborazo like IRL.  IRL fun.
View Quote
Larry NO like IRL.  IRL boring.  It is Tony George's answer to "I'll take my ball and go home".  It is where non-competitive CART teams go.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Too bad Little AL has sunk this far.  Wonder if his daughter ever improved?  She was partially paralyzed at one time.  Penske couldn't do a lot of carrying as his operation was on the skids for a while too.  He has recovered, Al has not.  Always though that he should have gone to NASCAR at his age rather than IRL.  He was one of the few of current crop of open wheel guys that could do NASCAR.  Something like this will about trash whats left of his career.

I happen to like IRL and think it is the future of open wheel racing in the US.  Screw CART!!  They are a bunch of F1 has beens and wanna bees that race on mostly temporary courses where passing rarely happens and fans see only a streak through the obstacles.  In America, racing is on OVALS.  Have been disappointed that IRL has continued to allow so many foreign drivers though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is a CART race.  Little Al and the rest of the IRL flunkies won't be there.
View Quote

I stand corrected...I was mis-informed, and didn't review the website like I should have, I just got ticketing and track layout info from it.  
Anyway, it's racing on the streets of Denver and real close to home.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I happen to like IRL and think it is the future of open wheel racing in the US.  Screw CART!!  They are a bunch of F1 has beens and wanna bees that race on mostly temporary courses where passing rarely happens and fans see only a streak through the obstacles.  In America, racing is on OVALS.  Have been disappointed that IRL has continued to allow so many foreign drivers though.
View Quote
Phooey.  I don't care where a driver is from.  OVALS are not racing.  No driving skill required.  I have raced on both ovals and road courses.  Ovals are a lot easier and appeal to fans who don't really understand competitive driving.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
LarryG, thats funny; I consider the sports car racers like SCCA as the bottom of the pile!  If your statement were correct, F1 could race on INDY rather than needing the wussie road course George built for them.  Trouble is, neither the cars or the drivers are up to it!

You follow what you like and I will do the same, OK?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Phooey.  I don't care where a driver is from.  OVALS are not racing.  No driving skill required.  I have raced on both ovals and road courses.  Ovals are a lot easier and appeal to fans who don't really understand competitive driving.
View Quote
                                        I just can't wait for the Tom Cruise, Billy Boat, vs. Tonya Harding,Brittney Speared, Celeb Boxing Match to be aired on the NastyCar Channel during the "SlimJim/ExLax 400" HalfTime show!(Days O'Blunder) Now that's Racin'. C'mon.....turn RIGHT once in a while,.....use those binders once in a while....[rolleyes] Roadracing, WRC, IMSA, 24 Hours, day,night,rain,shine, THAT's the way ya do it!!        Then again, Tom Cruise and Tonya in the ring?...I'd watch that. (money is on the ex-skater)            See ya in DC for IMSA/ALMS.        
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top