Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 8:12:55 PM EDT
I've been doing lots of remodeling on the house lately, and have been using drills, saws, nail guns, everything.  I've noticed that each time I pick a tool up or handle it I have my finger off its trigger and resting somewhere away from it, just like with a gun.  This happens with things like spray bottles and R/C radios also.

Am I the only one who does this, without even thinking about it or realizing it, or are you guys like this too?  I figure all the safety rules I and others have drilled into my head have obviously played a big part in this, so I can't be alone.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
nope, I catch myself doing the same thing everytime I pick up my DeWalt.

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm the same way. I use power tools all day long at work, and I'm even careful that my drill is never pointed at anyone. My finger is always off the trigger of whatever I'm using- nail guns, air stapler, drills, saws, etc...

You should see me doing "tactical" battery changes with my Makitas, though. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
As a kid, I learned "trigger discipline" on power tools the year before I learned it on firearms - and it's excellent practise either way!  

If you have ever tried to drill a mounting hole in your hand, you will agree...  Don't talk to me about Sawzalls and Skil saws, either!  At least I still have all my fingers...

I also had it drilled into me that you do not trust ANYONE else with the plug end of the power cord - plug it in YOURSELF.  Many accidents have been avoided that way...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
NOT a bad idea at all.

If a kid at work had practiced that discipline, he might have missed having the 64 stitches under his chin when he tried to cut his own throat with a meat saw.

And no, I'm not kidding. Kid has a scar and a story for the chicas now.

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh good, I thought I was a freak and the only one who did that.  Nice to see I have some company.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You should see me doing "tactical" battery changes with my Makitas, though. [;)]
View Quote

LOL, classic![:D]

Actually, that slipped my mind, gotta love those Makitas... great for practice!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm guilty of that too. Power tools, Windex bottles, anything with a trigger. Kinda funny when I realized I was doing it. I mentioned it on some "safe gun handling" thread a while back.

It's probably why most of the minor cuts and scrapes and such that I get from tools, are not from power tools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top