Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 7:14:12 PM EDT
Anyone here own one or know anything about them?

I ask that you folks spare me the "Looks like a mini-van." "That aint no SUV." And comments of the like. Though I'm not holding my breath.

I like the V8 models, the 4.4 and the 4.6. Great horsepower from the stats I've read, and with the 19-20" wheels, it's pretty sweet looking. I've had family who've owned BMW's for years, and as far as I'm concerned, they're as nice as any car on the road. The Germans produce results, that's for damn sure.

Anyone have any experience?
[img]graphics.boston.com/cars/images/reviews/2002/bmw_x5.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
BMW makes great cars.  Now they make great wagons on tall tires.  Hope you don't have to venture far off the paved road with it [;D]

I'm sorry, I tried not to, I really did!

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Das Warranty is Verbusted if we can prove you drove it off das pavement, und we have wayz of findink out.

[:)>]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A guy at work just got a new one, and it's pretty sweet. It's definitely got that solid feel to it like most of the new BMWs. He's got 22" wheels on it, and did some engine/exhaust mods already. The most noticeable upgrade (besides the 22"s) is He got the bottom half painted to match the body color. The factory black bottom kinda looks goofy to me.
I've worked on quite a few of these, I think they're good quality vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Looks like James Bond's latest toy. Are those headlights or M16 gunports? I likes it [:D]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
We have an X5 in our evaluation fleet in our engineering department at Nissan. We have the 4.4L V8 with Navigation. Everyone seems to like the car, but the Navigation system is HORRIBLE! Since I am the Engineer in charge of Navi, I have evaluated many systems from various manufacturers. Most companies do a pretty good job, but the BMW system is SIGNIFICANTLY below average. The X5 is very nice, and very expensive, but do not waste your money on the BMW Navi system.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned four BMWs, three caught fire when the starters 'stuck' and one blew an engine within the first year of ownership. I was young and stupid so I never learned.

As far as the X5 goes, the editors of Automobile magazine commented that "it couldn't pull itself out of a pile of wet leaves" and it's true. I have a buddy that owned one and I had to pull him out of some wet leaves last Spring when he couldn't get any traction. It was sad, this took place in his back yard. (true)
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That's odd. I mom has owned two 7 series, my sister is on her 3rd 3 series, my buddy has a 2001 M3, and various other people I know own BMW's as well.

Never heard one of them complain about their cars. On the contrary, they all speak extremely highly of them. Judging from either driving them, or riding in them, I've been nothing but impressed.

Hard to imagine an all wheel drive vehicle, with 360hp, and torque at 350@3700rpm having trouble with a pile of wet leaves. Then again, it was never intended or designed for anything off-road. You should tell your buddy to do a little homework before buying his next set of wheels.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A "4x4" with wheels like those looks pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The first question is what YOU want to do with it.  If you are looking for an off-road vehicle to do "trails" or other wilderness running, count it out of your evaluation.  Buy a Land Rover or Wrangler.  If you want a vehicle that is great for travel, such as a long trip on the highway, then being able to hit a rough secondary (dirt trail) road or logging trail, maybe some light fields, then it's for you.

I have the 3.0 l 6 cylinder, and if you are not towing, then I would recommend that engine.  Plenty of pep.  Pushes mid to upper 20's in mpg on the road.  Economy drops off in the city because it is heavy (4600 lbs).  Also forget a lot of the silly options.  If you get the V-8, you will only notice a marginal increase in power unless you are fully loaded or towing.  Avoid sport packages, as they are a bit stiffer, and include some options you may not want.  They have air suspension, for example, an unnecessary complication in my view.  Again, evaluate your needs. Avoid also some of the other silly complications, such as the nav. system., as has been rightly criticized earlier.

Rides like a 5 series, which it is, though slightly stiffer under some circumstances, which is to be expected considering its design.  Engine and transmission (5 sp. auto) are typical BMW flawless and smooth.  Get the premium package and the climate package (darker window tints, roll down screens, rear air vents, and auto temp (which I don't care for, but it's there).

No silly wheel options, either.  The standard aluminum ones are fine.  Again, this can do a lot of semi-rough stuff, no bog pulls.  Never had any breaks in traction, though.  The wheels may have spun a 1/16 of a turn and the traction control took over.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Germans produce results, that's for damn sure.
View Quote

While that may be true, this vehicle is US-designed and American-made, and about as German as a sixpack of Bud Lite.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Look it up here at kelly blue book [url]www.kbb.com[/url]
I recall it's very heavy, and there's better choices.

[url]http://www.carreview.com/[/url] will give you owner's opinions.  overall 4/5 but I agree with the poor reviews.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#13]
After three Explorers and considerable problems with especially the 98, it was traded on a Toyota Highlander.  We considered the 2002 Explorer, the Acura MDX, and the X5.  The Highlander got the nod as being the best value.  It certainly has a ride quality equal to or better than the others.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Get it. My neighbor has one and I always enjoy riding in it or driving it when he's too drunk to drive. BMW makes outstanding cars.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
m4
i guess not everyone is biting the big one in today's economy!
you dont work for an accounting firm by chance? [:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
m4
i guess not everyone is biting the big one in today's economy!
you dont work for an accounting firm by chance? [:)]
View Quote

ROTFL!!! I do contract work for Deloitte & Touche. We haven't been busted, yet. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

While that may be true, this vehicle is US-designed and American-made, and about as German as a sixpack of Bud Lite.
View Quote

You got that right....made on the east coast...I own a BMW and will for sure buy a new one in the near future...But mine will be German..The X5 and the Z3 are made in the states
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's odd. I mom has owned two 7 series, my sister is on her 3rd 3 series, my buddy has a 2001 M3, and various other people I know own BMW's as well.

Never heard one of them complain about their cars. On the contrary, they all speak extremely highly of them. Judging from either driving them, or riding in them, I've been nothing but impressed.

Hard to imagine an all wheel drive vehicle, with 360hp, and torque at 350@3700rpm having trouble with a pile of wet leaves. Then again, it was never intended or designed for anything off-road. You should tell your buddy to do a little homework before buying his next set of wheels.
View Quote

As for the all wheel drive...Its not really for off-roading...its for handling. BWM now has the 3 series and some 5 series that will be coming out in the States any time with the all wheel drive...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone here own one or know anything about them?

Anyone have any experience?
View Quote

I wouldn't buy one on a bet. Guy right down the street from me burned his house down level to the ground with one. Five minutes after he got home, the garage was an inferno and it spread from there. According to our local building inspector, this has happened a few times around the country and BMW, he alleges, has paid the people who it happened to to shut them up.

If you want a good car-like SUV, get a Jeep Liberty. If you want a sports car with all wheel drive, don't buy an SUV...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You got that right....made on the east coast...I own a BMW and will for sure buy a new one in the near future...But mine will be German..The X5 and the Z3 are made in the states
View Quote

No flame intended, but are you NOT buying the X5 or Z3 because those are made in the States? Would you buy the M3, M5, or 7 series if they were made in the States? Just curious... [:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I read in one car magazine that the 4.6is stops faster that a Porsche Carrera.  Pretty impressive.  So is the price at about $70k.

I would love to have a X5 someday, but I think my next car just might be a 330is [:)]
View Quote

They don't currently make that model, do they?  They make a 330i and a 330Ci (the coupe version).  I have a 325Ci.  Less power that the 330, but about $6,000 less in price.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#22]
A couple guys I work with have X5's
One guy just bought a 4.4 & another guy has had the 6cylinder for over a year.  If you don't plan on going off road but want AWD for snow rain etc.  it would make a fine ride.  The 4.4 is quick & he said when he test drove the 4.6 it really hauled ass!

I've always admired Bimmers, primarily their M cars.  If you want more of an off-road SUV look at a Tahoe.

As noted the X5 is built in Spartanburg South Carolina.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I once worked for BMW and have owned them since '94. And I love them. But if you want an off road vehicle the X5 sucks. No transfer case to give you low-range gears. Don't care if you stuffed the V-12 in it (and that has been done ), you still aren't gonna go if you need lowrange ! Thats why I have a Ford F250 Super Duty. That isn't a GIRLEY-MAN truck. It's the real deal.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't currently make that model, do they?  They make a 330i and a 330Ci (the coupe version).  I have a 325Ci.  Less power that the 330, but about $6,000 less in price.
View Quote

Yeah...brain fart here.  I was still thinking of the 4.6is.

The 330Ci is the one I'm interested in.
View Quote

When your ready to buy, let me know and I'll give you the name of a great salesperson at BMW of Houston North.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No flame intended, but are you NOT buying the X5 or Z3 because those are made in the States? Would you buy the M3, M5, or 7 series if they were made in the States? Just curious... [:)]
View Quote

Not because they were made in the States, but because they are built like American cars.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#27]
It looks like a mini-van. [;)]

I guess I just don't understand the purpose or appeal of these type of vehicles. Maybe it's just to prove that some people really do have more money than common sense.

If you want AWD for inclement weather, why not just get a Volvo or Subaru wagon?

If you genuienly want to go offroad, this thing would suck. No low range, traction control, limited ground clearance, few available upgrades, etc. And how many people are going to risk scratching or getting a rock chip in their precious $70,000 vehicle? Just imagine the hushed whispers as you pulled up to the local Starbucks with a scratch or ding in your new Bimmer. You'd be better of with an old Jeep if you want real offroad capability.

The ones that really get me are the Mercedes ML series. They look EXACTLY like a Mini-van. I truly have to shake my head in wonder as I see some urbanite posing as the great outdoorsman in one of those things.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Many years ago BMWs were junk, and that reputation unjustly persists.  Since about 95 they have been great, quality cars.  My 740i was the sweetest car I ever owned.

As far as the X-5 not being able to pull itself out of a pile of wet leaves, seems to me if it's got the HP and decent tires it will do as well as the next 4x4.  Of course, if I owned an X-5 I sure as hell wouldn't take it off road. [;)]

And if HP is your thing, I recommend the North American X-15 over the BMW X-5. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The ones that really get me are the Mercedes ML series. They look EXACTLY like a Mini-van. I truly have to shake my head in wonder as I see some urbanite posing as the great outdoorsman in one of those things.
View Quote

Also American-designed and state-side made. If there's a demand, there'll be a supply ;)
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I once worked for BMW and have owned them since '94. And I love them. But if you want an off road vehicle the X5 sucks. No transfer case to give you low-range gears. Don't care if you stuffed the V-12 in it (and that has been done ), you still aren't gonna go if you need lowrange ! Thats why I have a Ford F250 Super Duty. That isn't a GIRLEY-MAN truck. It's the real deal.
View Quote

I'm not interested in going off road in the X5....that's why I have a 3 car garage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice CAR if you want a 70,000 status symbol that handles decent on pavement. Not the CAR to get if you want to go off road. Then again why would anyone take a BMW offroad? There are real 4X4s for that.

That being said I would get a M3 or M5 etc....
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not interested in going off road in the X5....that's why I have a 3 car garage.
View Quote

Its your money, but in my experience trucks and real suv's are merely tolerable on pavement and around town.  I've never owned a car, and the most carlike vehicle I've had is a Jeep Grand Cherokee (4wd, of course).  If you want a car to excel on pavement, then buy a car.  If you want an X5, just remember they're basically a really tall station wagon.  Or, spend your $70,000 on the new Range Rover 4.4 and have the creature comforts and ride of the X5, and have something that will outperform tons of "SUV's" off road.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Spare me the 'that looks like a minivan'...

And what SUV doesn't these days?

But then again, I'm just another Firebird driver with a grudge against the whole SUV craze...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey! That aint no SUV.  It looks like a minivan! [:)]  
Seriously, why would you buy something like that.  Get a Hummer, probably cost less.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Many years ago BMWs were junk, and that reputation unjustly persists.  Since about 95 they have been great, quality cars.  My 740i was the sweetest car I ever owned.
[:D]
View Quote

How many years ago is that exactly?
For as long as I have been buying cars, 20 years or so, BMW has produced the some finest vehicles available.
Certainly long before 1995 and definitely not [i]junk[/i].
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Yes I would, The SUV X5 is to damn small for me..LOL (6'4"- 292lbs) and the Z3 is wayyy to small...Good cars tho..I'm just to big!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top