Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 5:43:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
"Police are working with the prosecutor's office to find out if they can file any charges for possessing a homemade cannon. No arrests have been made in the case of the cannon."

IOW, there's nothing illegal about it, but we felt our manhood threatened by it's large size so we're trying to make up something to charge the guy with.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Good God! What's all the fuss about? I have a buddy who made a beautiful replica of a Napolean cannon. Wooden spoked wheels. Oak carriage and the barrel is made out of a 5 ft. section of 75mm gun from a Sherman Tank. He shoots propane bottles filled with plaster out of it. Not illegal because it's basically a large muzzle loading rifle. However I remember hearing somewhere that cannons (even muzzle loaders) with rifled barrels are classified as destructive devices. I don't know that for a fact, just something i remember hearing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
For the love of God, man, they're using 14th century technology!  The horror!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you have a collapsible stock, flash hider, and bayonet lug on your cannon?

They should be banned to stop all the drive by "cannonings".
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
That's re-gawddamn-diculous.

Anyone who has done civil war reenactment with artillery groups has played with bigger ones. Heck, you can MAIL ORDER civil war era cannon tubes.

Does the proscecuter fear drive by artillery barrages?

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
They must be board in Detroit if they are going afer this......  They probably can't catch and charge real criminals.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For the love of God, man, they're using 14th century technology!  The horror!
View Quote

Not that I'm agaist this in anyway, but humans haven't changed that much physically in all these years.

If it killed then, it will kill now.

The Guys got some gall!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm sounds like a sketchy character who had a cannon.  If it wasn't used to kill people what is the problem?  I don't like people prosecuting for ills that never occurred.  In my opinion more energy should be put into prosecuting people who drive wrecklessy or while intoxicated.  Automobiles may be the most efficient killing machine known.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
-legrue
View Quote

Don't laugh.  That's probably exactly what they're worried about.  Imagine what a terrorist could do by hurling a projectile loaded with anthrax, uranium, poison gas, etc. through the wall of the airport, statehouse, sports complex, etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
-legrue
View Quote

Don't laugh.  That's probably exactly what they're worried about.  Imagine what a terrorist could do by hurling a projectile loaded with anthrax, uranium, poison gas, etc. through the wall of the airport, statehouse, sports complex, etc.
View Quote

Just stop and think about that and you'll come to the conclusion that it's highly unlikely. Home made artillery is much more likely to damage the user than anything else.

-legrue
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
It's all fun and games, until someone puts it on their boat.

Then there will be a spike in pirate attacks. That is NOT a laughing matter. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's all fun and games, until someone puts it on their boat.

Then there will be a spike in pirate attacks. That is NOT a laughing matter. [:D]
View Quote

pirate attacks would help the economy, imagine all the cool stuff the guy would but on ebay !!

for sale :
One jetski.. perfect condition.. < well it does have a minor HOLE thru it> [:d]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
THis is hilarious. Just to clarify things this ISN'T a potato cannon, is it?

I mean, I was shooting mine on the 4th. In fact it is silenced so well that the drunks couldn't hear it. Do I have to have a special license for a home made potato cannon suppressor? [rocket]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's re-gawddamn-diculous.

Anyone who has done civil war reenactment with artillery groups has played with bigger ones. Heck, you can MAIL ORDER civil war era cannon tubes.

-legrue
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  I had a friend who used to build his own cannons and mortars that shot little V-8 cans [filled with cement].  Those civil war reenactments were a blast [excuse the pun].
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:07:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
THis is hilarious. Just to clarify things this ISN'T a potato cannon, is it?

I mean, I was shooting mine on the 4th. In fact it is silenced so well that the drunks couldn't hear it. Do I have to have a special license for a home made potato cannon suppressor? [rocket]
View Quote

I've been told by some friends who have potato cannons that they're illegal in the State of Texas.

Story I was told is some politicians smart-assed kid pissed-off somebody with a potato cannon while said poli-puke kid was in a boat.  Cannon guys proseeded to mortar him.  Kid runs to poli-puke daddy who got a ban on potato cannons.

Any confirmation on that??
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been told by some friends who have potato cannons that they're illegal in the State of Texas.
View Quote

As your lawyer, I advise you to switch to yams.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Arock,

Remember those little turtles we used to have as kids? Quarter sized? Haven't seen them in years right? Know why? A politicians idiot kid got salmonella by sucking on his pet turtle like a blowpop. When the kid got sick the father freaked and passed legislation to outlaw turtles small enough to fit in a childs mouth. Salmonella is on every fresh water creature in nature. Very common. It was the fathers fault in not watching his kid. Now we all pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I want a mortor!  Serious....were do I find tubing.  I was told aircraft hydrolic tube is good, but I have no idea how to get it.

medcop
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

What if some child found that cannon?  What if that child killed or maimed someone by playing with that cannon.

You gun nuts are all alike.  You only care about YOUR toys and not the safety of the CHILDREN.  If I had my way every cannon would have to be registered and the owners would have to attend a safety course administered by the local police department.

Maybe Dixie Gun Works should sell international orange child safety flash hole locks.  

P.S. This is just a bit of sarcasm.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Cannons we don't need no stinking cannons.
Quietly rolls his into the garage.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I never though cannons were illegal. Every now and then there's an article in guns & ammo, etc. about building a homemade cannon.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]
As long as there is no breech he is AOK.

Hoplophile:
IOW, there's nothing illegal about it, but we felt our manhood threatened by it's large size so we're trying to make up something to charge the guy with.
View Quote

Amen!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top