Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 5:13:00 PM EDT
Alright, local cableCo is finally offering cable modem service, so in a week or so, no more diapup for me.

I have a router/switch picked out (Linksys BEFSR41) and two 10/100 Ethernet cards for the two PCs in the home.

I plan on networking these two PCs--one runs win98, and the other runs win98/Mandrake8.2 dual-boot.

I've got tons of Cat5 and Cat5e, as well as RJ45s and all manner of connections, crimpers and punch tools to get this project up and running.

I guess what I'm asking is can both PCs use the cable modem connex simultaneously through the router/switch I have in mind (Linksys BEFSR41) and am I leaving anything out?

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll work.  Consider Windows 2000 Pro as it is MUCH more stable than 98.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It will work just fine.  One thing though is that if you have a laptop, I would get the router/wireless unit instead of the router only.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 4 running off the (same I think) Linksys gateway.  Just hang the modem 'outside' your network and your good to go!  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This is [i]THE[/i]  site for networking voodoo :

[url]http://www.wown.com[/url] or a mirror site
[url]www.helmig.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with the wireless option so I am able to sit on my couch and surf the web while watching T.V. (and spill a pint of beer on the carpet while posting here..[:D]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You have everything covered, except..

Dump the OS's and go with Windows 2000 or XP.

If you know dorks like me, you can get XP copies which don't have to be activated. [%|]

If you don't get 2000 from someone.

And NO,  Windows ME won't cut it either!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
First, It will work just fine. I'm using the same router without problems for 2+ years now.

Also, go to the following site for any and all info related to home networking. Plenty of How-To's and a discusiion board for Linksys routers, in case you get stuck...

[url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, folks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the old mental checklist.

As for OS changes, thanks but no thanks. I have finally corrected all the things the MS wonks did wrong in W98/W98SE and XP/ME/2000 have given me nothing but probs. I will not spend several more years correcting what Billy and his minions didn't get right in the new OSes.

Hell, I'm liking Mandrake so much, I may soon dump Windows altogether.

On that note, would my proposed network work with one W98 PC and one Mandrake PC?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks, folks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the old mental checklist.

As for OS changes, thanks but no thanks. I have finally corrected all the things the MS wonks did wrong in W98/W98SE and XP/ME/2000 have given me nothing but probs. I will not spend several more years correcting what Billy and his minions didn't get right in the new OSes.

On that note, would my proposed network work with one W98 PC and one Mandrake PC?
View Quote

Please don't take this as a flame, cause I'll probably get flamed myself.

Your final question brings up one of the reasons windows products are used so much today.. Lots and Lots of people can answer questions about windows products, but I don't even know what Mandrake is. I'm sure lots others won't either. Therefor your support will be limited.

I've used NT 4.0, 2000, XP successfully for the past 4 years of my life at my jobs.
So have many others.
Maybe your anger towards Micro$lop has affected your troubleshooting techniques or persistentcy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Please don't take this as a flame, cause I'll probably get flamed myself.

Your final question brings up one of the reasons windows products are used so much today.. Lots and Lots of people can answer questions about windows products, but I don't even know what Mandrake is. I'm sure lots others won't either. Therefor your support will be limited.

I've used NT 4.0, 2000, XP successfully for the past 4 years of my life at my jobs.
So have many others.
Maybe your anger towards Micro$lop has affected your troubleshooting techniques or persistentcy.
View Quote

It is a variety of Linux....and lots of people know linux.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Posted by MurderSHO45

I always separate my emotion when dealing with software/hardware incompetence and freedom haters.

I have spent days (literally days straight--only stopping for food and bathroom breaks) troubleshooting, and much like my love of freedom, there is nothing that will affect my persistence or insistence in either endeavor.

MS has foisted piss-poor products on the software buying public, REPEATEDLY, and I know they have the competent folks to reverse this fact, but they DON'T or WON'T. THAT deserves my contempt.

Windows at one time was the ONLY option for PC users. Thank God there are other BETTER options out there now.

Edited 'coz I think my keyboard is going out on me. Time to organize another order from Newegg.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Cable into the cable modem.
Short length of CAT5 from the cable modem ethernet port to the WAN port on the Linksys.
Appropriate length CAT5 cables from the LAN ports on the Linksys to the NIC's on the PC's, and your layer 1 connections are done.  (don't forget proper ventilation and power)

Set up your PC's for DHCP and your layer 2 & 3 connections are done.  (The Linksys defaults as a DHCP server for your LAN, and will request an IP addx from the cableCo DHCP server.  The Linksys will NAT between your network and the cableCo network)

Set a hard encryption password such as Arm@l1t3, Bu$hm@st3r, or C0!t,[;D] on the Linksys to keep the riff raff out.

Then hold on to your hat 'cause both of those 'puters will be fly'n off the backbone, through the switch, nothing but net!

The recommendations to go to Win2kPro are very good ones indeed!
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, DPeacher, and everyone else.

Now I'm gonna be like a kid on Christmas eve 'til all my goodies get here and I get on the broadband bandwagon.

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home. -- Chief Aupumut, Mohican 1725.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Regarding running multiple PC's with different OSes, that will work fine.

I run Mac's and RedHat Linux boxes on my network, no problems whatsoever!

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You guys just make me sick!  [soapbox]  All this talk about broadband, and me stuck with having to use a dialup modem.  Hell, they finally got 56k modems to work in my area.

[>(][>(][>(][>(]

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep, as stated your linux boot will work just fine.  I'm pretty much with you, I'm just about ready to just run linux, and have a win partition for gaming only.  Windows is crap, it has always been crap and it will always be crap.  End of story.  Unfortunately mainstream alternatives (MAC) are even bigger crap.  Long live Linux (Which isn't crap but does need work yet.)

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top