Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 8:59:51 AM EDT
Friend wants one of these, doesn't want to pay more than $200 if possible.

Anyone know of some good ones?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
GoVideo makes one.  I believe that it's about $350.  I like the idea of one unit that will do double duty and reduce cable clutter.  On the other hand, the price is more than the combined cost of a separate DVD and VCR.  When one part goes belly up, it will probably not be cost efficient to fix.

I've read the reviews of the GoVideo DVR4000.  Some people swear by them. Some swear at them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The combos are more than the cost of separates and are twice as likely to fail, IMHO.

Also, in 2 years when the last VCR tape is sold, your buddy will be stuck with the betamax half of the appliance.

Word is that recordable DVD players will hit the market within the year, list starts at $500, but we all know what happens to initial; prices for tech stuff.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#3]
my in-laws , against my advice bought a sharp, broke in 2 days, returned it for a sanyo, that lasted 2 weeks. enough said.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]
We have a couple of combo players for under $200 at Wally World. As said, though, you are [b]AT LEAST[/b] doubling the chances of a failure in one of the components.....

BTW, we also have TV/DVD/VCR comboes now.....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't remember the brand, but Target had one for $170 last weekend.  It's not listed on their website, though...
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Panasonic DVD VHS....paid $260, no problems, great pic, it is a progressive scan.
And when there are no more VHS I will still have my old ones, so it is no great loss.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Costco. GO DVD. <$200.

Over.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the Go Video one at Costco about a month ago.
The only complaint is that its remote doesn't have a volume control and some of the DVD's I've played were not loud enough even when the TV control is maxed out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top