Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 7:50:16 AM EDT
okay maybe not quite. but my ceiling fan, right above my recliner wobbles like its going to fall off. ive checked the mounting (its fine) and the blades (all nice and even).  

i have visions of the goddamn thing falling off in the middle of the O'Reilly Factor and me missing the email segment because i have to have my head sewn back on.  

help! how do i stop the wobblies?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll have to add a weight to one or more of the blades. You can get the weights (with adhesive) from the fan manufacturer or make your own out of washers, pennies etc. And yes, it's frustrating try to figure out which blade and how far in or out to put the weight, but it's the only cure.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Haha!  I got the same problem with the fan diretly above my bed.  Can't handle the heat at night without it on but can't sleep with it on either! [:)]  I just got a new Hunter fan, hope it works.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, don't forget to sharpen the leading edges of the blades.  The sharper they are, the smoother they will cut through the air. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Best thing to use when attempting to balance them is one of those little food scales. Take the blades off and weigh each one. Then attach coins to the top sides of the blades to even them out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If the blades are in order use weights.
When useing weights buy the little kit that the stores sell.
The kit has sticky weights and also a clip that weighs the same as one of the weights.
Experiment with the clip and a weight on the mid section of each blade.
After you find the blade that works best with the weights fine tune it by changing the location of the weight on the blade and/or adding more weight.
When you are satisfied, glue on the weight/weights on the blade remembering to compensate for the clip.
We no longer offer this service to our customers because it can be real time consuming if you want perfection.
Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top