Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 6:30:17 AM EDT
[url]http://www.mishalov.com/Versace.html[/url]
Yesterday, in a moving ceremony Rocky Versace was awarded the Medal Of Honor for his bravery, his example and finally laying down his life for his friends. There really are no words to describe this man and his life accurately.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/08/bush.medalofhonor.ap/index.html]MOH Ceremony[/url]

"He was fluent in English, French and Vietnamese and would tell his guards to go to hell in all three," Bush told a group of about 200 in the East Room of the White House. The audience included Versace's friends and family members, including three brothers.

My Kind of American! My Kind of Soldier! My Kind of Hero!

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That was a long time coming, and no one was more deserving. Bravo Zulu and rest in peace, Rocky.

From the CNN.com story:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush presented a posthumous Medal of Honor Monday to Army Capt. Rocky Versace, a Green Beret who defied his Viet Cong captors and was executed in 1965.
View Quote

I'd have said that he was "[b]murdered[/b] in 1965," but then I don't work for CNN, do I? Just like Colonel Nick Rowe, Captain Versace's fellow prisoner, was [b]murdered[/b] by Muslim terrorists in the Phillipines, not [b]executed.[/b]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad you mentioned Col. Rowe who never stopped talking about the heroism of Rocky...and Col. Rowe was quite a hero in his own right...The jury is still out on who killed him ..Muslims quite possibly- Vietnamese are equally likely.
[url]http://www.psywarrior.com/rowe.html[/url]

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone interested in the story of Captain Versace and Colonel (then 1st Lt.) Rowe's experience in a Viet Cong POW camp should read, "Five Years to Freedom," by Col. James "Nick" Rowe. If you can get through it without tears in your eyes, you're a better man than I am.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you can get through it without tears in your eyes, you're a better man than I am.
View Quote

Heck, if you can make it through that book without tears in your eye I don't know what kind of man you are.It sure isn't better...
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you can get through it without tears in your eyes, you're a better man than I am.
View Quote

I can honestly say that was one of the best MOH ceremonies I have ever seen...  I think the fact that the man died for his country and has had to wait this long for what he deserves is quite sad.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My Kind of American! My Kind of Soldier! My Kind of Hero!

View Quote

Amen!  Way over due, but better late then never.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top