Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 2:06:28 AM EDT
I am a huge Jeep fan. The new Liberty has been out for about a year now, just curious, have any of you heard of any problems with them?

If you know someone that owns one, are they happy with it?

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. Check here for more info.
[url]http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=e29fb022aca8ac856fa304ccec7f2cde&forumid=30[/url]

There's nothing big so far in terms of repairs. Just a recall on the airbag wire clips and the knee blocker. The 2003 will have some changes to consider. A slightly lowered suspension but quad disc brakes, etc. Check this link for more details.
[url]http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e29fb022aca8ac856fa304ccec7f2cde&threadid=254823[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#2]
We have one.  It is a nice little SUV, and no problems so far.  We also looked at the Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander, and Rav4.  The Jeep was, by far, the nicest out of the 3 in terms of comfort and power.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
While I do like the Liberty, I cannot agree with it being "nicer" that a Toyota Highlander.  We've had a Highlander (my wife's) for over a year (it replaced an Explorer) and it is far more roomy and has a more car-like ride, and about the same power as a Liberty.  I had a POS '97 Cherokee to get rid of and considered the Liberty very long and hard, but ended up with a used vehicle with very low mileage.  The Liberty seemed to be more like a RAV4 in size than a Highlander.  Two people that I know that have Libertys (Liberties?) love them, but they get relatively low mileage (13 to 16); it might be the hills around here.  By contrast, our Highlander V6 AWD gets 17-18 around town and 21-23 on a trip.

Just my impression and experience.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While I do like the Liberty, I cannot agree with it being "nicer" that a Toyota Highlander.  We've had a Highlander (my wife's) for over a year (it replaced an Explorer) and it is far more roomy and has a more car-like ride, and about the same power as a Liberty.  I had a POS '97 Cherokee to get rid of and considered the Liberty very long and hard, but ended up with a used vehicle with very low mileage.  The Liberty seemed to be more like a RAV4 in size than a Highlander.  Two people that I know that have Libertys (Liberties?) love them, but they get relatively low mileage (13 to 16); it might be the hills around here.  By contrast, our Highlander V6 AWD gets 17-18 around town and 21-23 on a trip.

Just my impression and experience.

Noah
View Quote

The Highlander was definately larger.  Unfortunately, where I live, it was also significantly more expensive than the Liberty.  We've gotten mileage in the low 20's on the highway.  If money were less of a concern, I would have seriously looked at the Lexus RX300.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I considered one, but then went for the Rover Freelander. I think it is a better buy than the jeep and am very happy with it. Road and Track or somebody did a comparison and the rover was better in every catagory but one  ,(most dealers have a copy of the article, of course), I also did not like the jeep / deer tv ads , even if the removed them.

I found the comparison on the web, go read it, then buy what you want

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2002/january/200201_comparo_canyoncubs.xml?&page=2
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#6]
For us, we could not justify the extra $$$ for the Lexus RX300 over the Highlander.  It is mostly the same vehicle, except the Highlander is longer in WB and has a roomier cargo area behind the rear seat.  Interior appointments and features are virtually the same, but are not $4000 to $6000 nicer for a smaller vehicle.

If I were in the market for a smaller vehicle, I would consider the Liberty, despite the bad experience I had with the 97 Cherokee (ROTORS REPLACED 3X UNDER WARRANTY, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY, TRANSFER CASE REPLACED AT 28k DUE TO WORN OUT DRIVE CHAIN SPROCKET TEETH, UNDER WARRANTY).   Funny thing, I loved that Cherokee.  The I-6 really MOVED the vehicle and I got decent mileage from 17 to 22.  But it spent a combined total of 16 days in the shop over a 40 month period.  You would think that a vehicle platform that has been in place since 1984 would be fairly trouble-free, but the venerable small Cherokee fell victim to Chrysler cost-cutting and vehicle platform de-contenting.  OEM auto parts suppliers are under relentless and constant price-cutting demands from the automakers.  Suppliers are expected to reduce the price on their components by 5% a year, every year, and often more on demand.  Want to take cost out of a platform?  Sign up a new supplier for instrument clusters or lower-torque-capable transfer cases that underbids the supplier(s) you've had for several years.  The new designs are cheaper to produce, lighter in weight, use less materials, not as strong, etc.  That's how a transfer case is shot after 28k, and what's more, the poor transfer case supplier will be expected to provide a full explanation as to the cause of the failure and the corrective action.  They will not be able to say "underbuilt" because they signed off on the design as being capable.  

Anybody that has a Dodge pickup or Durango with the Chrysler corporate rear axle knows -- those axles are notorious for premature wear of the differential gears.  Same for Chrysler minivan transmissions.  I am not busting on Chrysler, but they have some convenient examples to illustrate my point.

In the meantime, new-car prices continue to climb.

IMO, the best time to buy a new vehicle is in the second year.  That is after all 1st-year bugs are out, and before the manufacturer starts to de-content to cut costs.  

Noah, off-rant
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you looked at Honda's CRV? They don't have a v-8 but they get real good gas milege, have the most room in it's class. If you plan on going offroading alot go with the Liberty. Iv'e owned only Fords,(4 trucks, 2 cars- no problems)
but the Honda was awsome. Ford later came out with the Escape but I still liked the CRV better.
I just recently traded in the CRV for Honda's new Pilot. It's awsome, better than the Highlander & Explorer imo. Wife had to get it with a dvd in it....oh well.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Id like to see a lifted liberty, I havent seen one yet
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
In what way(s) is the liberty an improvement over the Cherokee which it replaced.

The Cherokee was the BEST 4WD SUV for off road use. There is a huge aftermarket and it's a tested design.

How is the Liberty better?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a two wheel drive model.  Love it.  Lots of HP (about 215).  Gas mileage ain't the best but it will pass a truck right the f23k now ! on the interstate.  

I had a body control module go out at under 2K.  A/C, lights, odometer, etc.  Plug in part.  Five minutes and I was back on the road.  Inconvenient but no major prob for a first year vehicle.

I love mine.

Had a 4-Runner before.  Loved it more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In what way(s) is the liberty an improvement over the Cherokee which it replaced.

The Cherokee was the BEST 4WD SUV for off road use. There is a huge aftermarket and it's a tested design.

How is the Liberty better?
View Quote

Agreed, Ive had two and I loved them, Jeep should not have replaced the cherokee with the Liberty. If they wanted to make the Liberty so bad they should have just made it along side the cherokee.

Ive had it with these pussy little minivan looking 4x4's Liberty, CRV, sidekick, etc..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top