Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 1:56:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother-in-law just got a Shadow 1100. He had a Harley ordered for over a year, but when the 1100 came out under $6K, he figured the money was better spent.

I have put about 500 miles on that Shadow. I can honestly say that it was money well spent considering the finances and priorities.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with a Huffy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
used bmw. used ducati. new triumph. a buell. parilla.

anything but vanilla, please.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]

You mean like this one?

[img]http://octoberskies.com/corner/bikes/graphics/fatboy.jpg[/img]

Get yourself a Yamaha V Max..  thier a lot faster and cheaper..  but my first choice would be a fat boy too..[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to have a Harley FXDL, but like you, the price is a little out of my league.
I've owned mc's for almost 30 years, I presently ride a '92 Shadow 1100.
I have a little over 64K miles on it now, not one iota of trouble and still running strong.  
Before that I had a Suzuki, could have just been my luck, but it gave me nothing but trouble.
Terry
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Got  a  94 sporty 1200 hotrod, that is mostly a garage ornament, for this old dude. She is a nice ride and sounds great !  HD's are the way to go, unless you want to be a Wanabe.

I like all bikes man, I dont want a pickle I just want ride my moter cikle.....[:D]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a yamaha V Star. Great lloking bike without the Harley sticker shock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I aint touching the mid-life thing but look hard at the vulcan 800 ......if it is for you and one up riding,it is comfortable and hauls major ass I put about 10,000 miles a year on mine. nothing outragous on maintenance tires,battery (my fault),1 chain and a speedo cable,just gas it up,lube the chain every 3 or 4 tanks of gas,
As for the Sporty you can drop the backend with shocks or just relocate the tabs,the front can be dropped ....no biggie....the Sporty will hold or gain value....the Kawa won't....the thing to do is get something and ride the hell out of it......trailers are for boat's
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Man you need an ATV,Yea street bikes are cool but ATV's are really "in" right now....You can take them trough Mud, Sand, Water and over logs. You can buy ALOT of add on's and make them your own.

Heres a pic of Mine.... [img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/a391936d/bc/OUTLAWS/__hr_Front+Right.jpg?bcQpiK9Ag7faFOyd[/img]

Not to change the subject but you were talking about price and so far this has only cost me alittle over $7000
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at the Kawasaki WC650. It's cool as hell and you can just about STEAL one!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
B_B

Went through the same thing last winter.  I had to do the bike thing...it was on the list, and time keeps marching on !

First choice was a Fat Boy as well, but the $$, and quite honestly the attitude at the dealers was enough to make me reconsider.

Next choice was the Honda Sabre, good price, decent looks, etc.  That was until I walked into one of my local dealers and saw the Yamaha V-Star 1100.  There was no hope for me at that point, even the loving-bride-of-over-twenty-years saw the look in my eye and didn't even try to talk me out of it.

Check out the Yamaha motors website, as well as the Star Rider forums ...  (The "Build it yourself" thing on the Yamaha site is getting me into serious trouble...ya can't never get enough "trinkets")

[url]http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo.asp?lid=2&lc=mcy&cid=4&mid=19[/url]

[url]http://www.star-riders.org/[/url]

-Hope the links thing works....
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My moto is: The bigger, the better.

My Suzuki Intruder
[img]http://home.austin.rr.com/patwarren/moozuki.jpg[/img]

I also like the Yamaha RoadStar Warrior
[img]http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/500/warrior_smoke.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of guys spend so much customizing their Harleys that they would have spent less on a custom to begin with. You could put one together yourself with not too much trouble. Complete engines, trannys and rolling chassis kits are available nowadays for less monry than I have spent on parts. The bike I ride now is a home built chopper, 96" S&S stroker, 4 speed revtec 3" open drive rigid. I have never posted a picture, so  have no host but I can e-mail a pic to you if you want.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's two of my favorites:

Honda VTX, 1800cc V-Twin
[img]www.thundertoys.com/testrides/vtx/Image001.jpg[/img]

And the Honda Valkyrie, 1600cc horizontally opposed 6
[img]users.net1plus.com/srl/images/Fatlady-Apr-01.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Get the v-star. Nice bike at a good price. Looks good dressed up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#21]
for my midlife crisis i was going to bring home a cute babe, but lady lurker said no [:(]
so i'm working on rebuilding a little 2-seater car instead. [;)]. i did the bike thing in my 20s and 30s, and after picking gravel out of my hide for a while i gave them up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#22]
[img]kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/i/section_8936/49Pan.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Big Bear, I am going throught the same thing. Been out of biking for 25 years or so and decided I have to get back into it. Looked very hard at HDs, but can't justify the cost when there are so many good motorcycles out there for less money.

Finally decided on a Valkyrie. It is the only cruiser that is not a V-twin or HD wannabee and it will kick any HDs butt (ok, well maybe not a V-Rod). I found a slightly used 98 tourer model (owner bought it new in Feb 2002) with only 2500 miles on it for $8,500 and it still has 3 years on the warranty (try to find a HD with a 3 year warranty) It is an awesome bike, and even HD guys look at it with respect.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Save your money, (as owner of 3 HDs before, the older I get the less I like working on 'em  & the more I like ride'em) here's my current ride, Kaw. Nomad 1500 cc, $12K new, 3.6 years old 34K+ miles, nuthin but oil/filters, gas and tires. She'll cruise 80 all day long and get ya 30+ mpg.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/mr%5Fwilson%2FNomad%2Ejpg[/img]

And everyone will think your ridin' a Hog to boot.
Mike

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is there a blue book for motorcycle wholesale, retail, and trade-in values?
View Quote

Only one I know if is [url]www.kbb.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My moto is: The bigger, the better.

My Suzuki Intruder
[img]http://home.austin.rr.com/patwarren/moozuki.jpg[/img]

I also like the Yamaha RoadStar Warrior
[img]http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/500/warrior_smoke.jpg[/img]
View Quote

I saw one of these Yamaha's last weekend. They are nice! Saw a custom exhaust on one of them, looked similar to the exhaust in the top picture. Sounds great.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Dammit Bear...I wish you hadn't brought this subject up!  I've owned two bikes before but I sold my last one in '85.  Lately I've had the itch something awful for a big touring scoot and the missus is giving me a huge load of crap about it.  It goes something like this:
-"You're too damn OLD!"
-"You can't see worth a damn!"
-"You're reactions are terrible."
-"You'd just fall off again and end up in the hospital...like you did before!"

I can't really argue those points...but it don't dampen my desire to get out on the road again.  On the other hand...as I sit here and remember the last time me and Mr. Macadam got real close...ooooooohhhh...that did hurt.  I seem to remember that Navy corpsman in 1984 having a real good time with that scrub brush and the brown liquid (betadine?) soap scrubbing the rocks and dirt out of my rather extensive road rash.  ("Gee...I sure hope I'm not hurting you too much, Sir!"  Right...the little prick was smiling...and my wife was sitting there in the ER with this wry "I TOLD you do" smirk on her face.)  Now she says OK...but I gotta take out a lot more life insurance first.

(Background on how my missus views cycles:  When my scoot and I limped back home after going down early one morning on my way to my ship, I made it to the front door, rang the bell and the ten year old answers...still rubbing the sleep from his eyes.  When he sees me he freaks out [shock] and his screams bring Momma runnin'.  The first words out of her mouth are, "Get back outside...and STOP bleeding on my floor!"  [stick] I stood there stunned for a minute...then said, "Please get me a couple of towels and take me to the ER and I'll stop beeding on your damn floor!" [pissed]
True story...and I've been married to her for 29 years now.  Sassy womanz.

Anyway...I say go for it.  Try out the bikes recommended here and pick out the one that you like best and can afford.  I happen to be gazing fondly at a couple of Yamahas and Hondas.  I just can't swing the cost of a big Harley...but now that a neighbor lady (The wife of a Marine colonel no less!) just bought herself a big softail hog,...who can say?  I am SO jealous when she chugs up the street.

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Wait a minute here...

How could I forget the [b]BOSS HOSS?![/b]

[img]www.bosshossdirect.com/bhgallerylg/bh2.jpg[/img]

[img]www.bosshossdirect.com/bhgallerylg/bh7.jpg[/img]

Yes, that's a Chevy 350 on there.

[img]www.bosshossdirect.com/bhgallerylg/blackbh3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I can't look at this thread any longer. I swore off murdercycles years ago.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got  a  94 sporty 1200 hotrod, that is mostly a garage ornament, for this old dude. She is a nice ride and sounds great !  HD's are the way to go, unless you want to be a Wanabe.

I like all bikes man, I dont want a pickle I just want ride my moter cikle.....[:D]
View Quote

Arlo Guthrie! I haven't heard that song in ages!

BallisticTip, this one's for you man. [8D]

The Motorcycle Song
words and music by Arlo Guthrie

CHORUS:
I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want a tickle
'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want to die
Just want to ride on my motorcy...cle

It was late last night the other day
I thought I'd go up and see Ray
So l went up and I saw Ray
There was only one thing Ray could say, was:

CHORUS

This song is about the time that I was ridin' my motorcycle.
Going down a mountain road, at 150 miles an hour, playin'
my guitar. On one side of the mountain road there was a
mountain, and on the other side there was nothin' - there was
a cliff in the air.

Now, when you're going down a mountain road at I50 miles
an hour you gotta be very careful, especially if you're playin'
a guitar. Especially if that guitar is an acoustic guitar.
Because if it's an acoustic guitar, the wind pressure is greater
on the box side than on the neck side, because there's
more guitar on the box side. I wasn't payin' attention ..

Luckily I didn't go into the mountain - I went over the cliff.
I was goin' at 150 miles an hour sideways and 500 feet down
at the same time.

I knew it was the end. I looked down, I said ''Wow! Some
trip". I thought it...well I knew it was...I knew it was my last
trip, and in my last remaining seconds in world,I decided
to write one last farewell song to the world.

Put a new ink cartridge in my pen. Took out a piece of paper.
I sat back and I thought awhile. Then I started writin':
I don't want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motorsickle
And I don't want a tickle
'Cause I'd rather ride on my motorsickle

And I don't want to die
Just want to ride on my motorcy ...cle."

I knew that, it wasn't the best song l ever wrote, but I didn't
have time to change it. I was comin' down mighty fast.

But as you all know, and as fate would have it, I didn't die. I
landed on the top of a police car. And he died. I drove away
on the road that he was on. I came into town at a screamin'
175 miles an hour, playin' the motorcycle song.

I came into town, I jumped off my bike, the bike went around
the corner by itself, went up on the stand by itself, turned
itself off.

I walked over to my friend. He was standin' there eatin'
pickles. I said "Hi, what's happenin'?" He looked at me in the
eye and said "Nothin'".

You gotta sing it with that kind of enthusiasm. Like you just
squashed a cop...

CHORUS

©1968,1969 Appleseed Music Inc. (ASCAP)
View Quote

Thanks Big Bear, has been a long time since I heard that song too, it just poped into my head when posting. It brings back some of the good times that I have had on bikes ! [8D]
Hey a new sig line !

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#31]
"CAMPYBOB, "anything but vanilla"??? Que?"

jap cruisers have that "ujm" (universal japanese motorcycle" syndrome...they all look alike (when not imitating a harley).

i equate them with vanilla ice cream and ford taurus cars. bland.

yes, they are easy to maintain...very reliable.

i prefer either the original triple chocolate with a cherry...the harley, or a ground pounding triple scoop of butterscotch-strawberry...something like a ducati desmodromic 906 or triumph daytona.

to each, their own.

whatever you end up with, ride safely.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#32]
BB,my friend,can I call you my friend?......2 decades ago, an important thing to look for on many a used bike was fork/frame bearings damage.To do this we put it on the centerstand, weighted the backend down,lifting the frontend as high as the leverage permitted,and made sure the forks did not fallto/favor one side repeatedly=frontend damage=$$$ to repair.Thats all I got,I laid a few bikes down in my day.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Go check out [url=http://www.cycletrader.com]CYCLETRADER[/url] and pick one out!

I'm currently looking for a nice, big cruiser and I'm leaning toward a Victory.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Santyth, you and Polyak aren't helping by posting pics like that. My old lady (biker lingo.. hehehe) would kill me if I dropped $20-30 grand ...
View Quote

$20-30 grand would be nice down payment on one of Jesse's bikes.  They are in the $60k range.

Quoted:
CAMPY, like I said, I wanted a Harley but that's out of my budget ...
View Quote

What you should do if you don't want to wait until you can afford the Harley you seem to want, is to find a Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha cruiser with 1000 cc displacement or bigger.  If you get a smaller cruiser, you will get bored with it quickly.

Try to find one that's 3-4 years old, with low mileage and in good shape.  In that time, it will have taken most of the depreciation and you can ride for a year or two and maybe recoup 90% of what you put in it.  When you've saved some more and decided you want that Hog you'll not find out you've lost $2k to depreciation like if you bough the same bike new.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wait a minute here...

How could I forget the [b]BOSS HOSS?![/b]

[img]www.bosshossdirect.com/bhgallerylg/bh2.jpg[/img]

[img]www.bosshossdirect.com/bhgallerylg/bh7.jpg[/img]

Yes, that's a Chevy 350 on there.

[img]www.bosshossdirect.com/bhgallerylg/blackbh3.jpg[/img]
View Quote

I got to ride one of these once.  A dude I met insisted that I take his "hoss" out for a spin, so I obliged him.

The have so much power they have no gears.  You flip a little switch on the bars that disengages the engine from the drive train and when you want to go, you flip it back on and twist the throttle.

The thing sounds AWESOME, but I kept looking for the "Vette" that I knew was riding my a$$.  Then, I'd remember that was the sound I was making, and it would make me grin like an idiot.

Everybody points at you when you ride a Boss Hoss.  You're like a cleberity.  That furthers the grinning like an idiot syndrome.

After a while, the grining like an idiot takes effect, and you'll crank on the throttle real hard (like an idiot) and then, you'll get a physics lesson in torque.  

The lesson is this.  The torque from a 350 cubic inch engine will damn near lay a Boss Hoss, and it's grinning like an idiot rider, on their right side.

Still, I didn't quite toss myself so I ended the ride as I began, grinning like an idiot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#39]
If you are going to be doing highway riding and go the Suzuki Intruder route I'd suggest you get the 1400. I got the 800 2 yrs ago/10K miles ago and do wish I'd gotten the 1400. The 800 does have enough pep off the line to keep up with the other cruisers (except the hotrods) but lacks the power at higher speeds. Does do 1 up just fine and can do 2 up but isn't well suited for it.

Was going to upgrade to a Heritage softail classic this spring but the wife wanted a new house. Guess who won that one.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Santyth, you and Polyak aren't helping by posting pics like that. My old lady (biker lingo.. hehehe) would kill me if I dropped $20-30 grand and pulled into the driveway on something like that. She would at least beat my ass for not getting a seat for her to ride on.
View Quote

The Valkyrie and the VTX that I posted on the previous page go for around $12k new.  The VTX is a new model, but it shouldn't be hard to find a Valkyrie that's a couple years old.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here's two of my favorites:

Honda VTX, 1800cc V-Twin
[img]www.thundertoys.com/testrides/vtx/Image001.jpg[/img]

This is the one you want - lots of power, nice handling, & lower maintenance & lower-priced than a HD. Some of the Japanese rice-burner cruisers (like the VTX here) are really underrated.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#45]
If you want a sport bike buy one. The Honda 600's seem to be the best bang for the buck. If you want a cruiser, buy a Harley, period. My 1987 FXST looks/sounds great. It has the low maint belt drive, and all the evo motor requires is an oil/filter change periodically. I mentioned earlier the upgrades I've done to it. As long as you don't go nuts with too much after market stuff and paint, you will always get your money out of it when(and if) you sell...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#46]
A year or two ago, I felt exactly the same way you do now. Not only did I yearn for this, I had convinced myself, with all manner of 'logical' reasons that it was a really "good idea". When I told my wife, she said "Yes luv, that's sounds very nice." I knew right then, I would never get one.

She knows me better than I know myself – Goddammit! To argue against the idea that an old fart of 54 should be haulin' a bike around town (I always drive fast), would be counter-productive. She just let the idea grow and die within its own appointed (short) lifespan. The first day the rains started, I killed-off the idea for good.

However, I did experience the "bike thing" in my teens and early twenties. If you have never tried it, go for it. Just be sure whatever you buy (I like Yamaha) holds its resale price well. Good luck and take care.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Arlo would have just been happy with a Norton.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Why mess around?
[img]http://www.marineturbine.com/superbike/yellow.jpg[/img]
Specifications-Y2K Turbine Superbike

Frame: Aluminum alloy

Rake: 27 degrees

Weight: 500 pounds

Seat Height: 31.5 inches

Wheel Base: 68 inches

Wheels: Dymag Carbon Fiber 17"

Tires: Front: 120 60ZR17 (Pirelli)

Rear: 200 50ZR17 (Pirelli)

Front forks: 55 mm inverted

Shocks: Mono-shock adjustable oleopneumatic (Ohlins)

Brakes: Front: 2 x 320 mm floating system - 4 piston calipers (Brembo)

Rear: 2 x 320 mm floating system - 4 piston calipers (Brembo)

Engine: Allison Rolls Royce 250 Gas Turbine

Power: 320 hp @ 52,000 rpm (286 hp @ rear wheel)

Output RPM: 6,000 rpm

Torque: 425 ft lbs @ 2,000 rpm

Compressor speed: 54,000 rpm

Fuel: Diesel, Kerosene, Jet A

Lubrication: Dry-sump/ 3.5 quarts turbine oil

Transmission: Two-speed automatic or manual

Rear Mirrors: Concealed color display (LCD) for rear mounted camera

Fuel Capacity: 8.5 gallons (34 liters)

Ride: Indescribable!!

Performance

Estimated Top Speed: 250 mph

1/4 Mile: 9.80 @ 160 mph

0-200 mph in 15.0 sec.

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:50:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Save your money, (as owner of 3 HDs before, the older I get the less I like working on 'em  & the more I like ride'em) here's my current ride, Kaw. Nomad 1500 cc, $12K new, 3.6 years old 34K+ miles, nuthin but oil/filters, gas and tires. She'll cruise 80 all day long and get ya 30+ mpg.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/mr%5Fwilson%2FNomad%2Ejpg[/img]

YES what HE said!!!

And everyone will think your ridin' a Hog to boot.
Mike

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I like this one:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Hoplophile%2F2000FatBoy%2D10of125%2Ejpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top