Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2012 6:55:48 PM EDT
I had no idea these even existed until today, and for some reason I am interested in buying a used one tomorrow. What can You tell me about them as far as their benefits and drawbacks? As far as the noise, I consider that a positive!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They aren't any more noisy than a regular mower. They have more power and you can tell. You never have to change the oil.....

The biggest drawback of the one I had was the stupid offset front wheel on the one side.

After 13 years I finally had to give up on mine. It would start fine, it just wouldn't hold power enough to get through the grass.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
They're getting difficult to find parts for. I finally had to scrap my Lawn-Boy two years ago, after about 15 years of dependable service. Couldn't find the parts I needed to make it run
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Lawn Boy that I'm looking at. That offset front wheel seems goofy! What's up with that?    
By noise, I was referring to the sound of a 2 stroke as opposed to a 4 stroke.
The not changing oil would definately be a positive. If it happens to use the same fuel oil mix as my saw and trimmer that would be great!
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Not really sure why they did the offset wheels? That thing was the best I'd ever used on my Bermuda grass lawn. Dad had Lawn-Boys from the day I was born, until they quit making the two strokes.
They use a 32:1 ratio mix. All I ever used was the Lawn Boy oil, dad's too, his first one was 27 years old when it wore out.
Seriously though, if it runs well, keep the blade sharp and mow like hell. I hope you get it pretty cheap, they really are hard to find parts for these days.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have three lawnboys one of which I pushed around back in the early 80's and its still running though not as wellas the other two I have to admit but it runs
light weight decks , no oil change and most my lawn equip are smokers so i always have gas/oil mixed up
I paid $50 for my last lawnboy which was a good deal I though
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I still occasionally run a yellow marine division lawn boy from the late 60s but it's starting to get a bit down on power. Older one's were not the quietest things in the world but they were light enough to lift them into the air with 2 fingers thru the recoil housing without much effort. For trimming, they couldn't be beat.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a couple of lawn boy mowers last summer for $20. The guy had everything to make one nice mower. I love it.

I find that the offset wheel stops me from hanging the front wheel up on the corner of buildings as much. I don't know the real reason for it, though I suspect it's just for looks to set them apart from other makes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If you've got one to buy, I say get it.  If not, I run a 70's/80's Snapper V-series with an aluminum deck.  They last for. ever.  Parts are easy to find, and if you can find one I say get that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I picked up a couple of lawn boy mowers last summer for $20. The guy had everything to make one nice mower. I love it.

I find that the offset wheel stops me from hanging the front wheel up on the corner of buildings as much. I don't know the real reason for it, though I suspect it's just for looks to set them apart from other makes.

It's because of where Lawn Boy decided to put the discharge chute, as close to the leading edge of the blade tip help with grass discharge and also to limit the actual size of the cutting deck VS the blade diameter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Try WWW.partstree.com for lawnboy parts
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a John Deere 12PB push mower.

I think it's at least 15 years old.  My dad bought it new.  Still runs as good as the day he bought it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Lawn Boy 2 smokers were hands down the best home owner grade push/self propelled mowers ever built.

Try to find a modern mower that isnt auto prime/auto choke. . Fuckin EPA

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#13]
One big advantage is if your cutting grass on a steep hill. On four stroke mowers the oil can pool up on one side of the  engine and  can lead to engine damage.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#14]
when it's hot and humid, throw a little more oil in the mix to keep the mosquitos away while in the shade or at sunset...

true!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]
They even make 2-stroke hover-mowers.  (Although this pic shows an electric.)

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I had one of the old offset discharge Lawn Boy push mowers everybody is talking about and it was a GREAT mower. The best thing about it (besides being very light), it had the lever bar on the handle you had to pull back like all push mowers today, but unlike new mowers that cut off when you release it, the Lawn Boy would just disengage the blade and the mower would keep running. I used it for years and when it wouldn't start one day, I took it to my nieghbor who fixes small engines and he declared it DOA but I never got details why. I probably should have got it back and took it for a second opinion or fixed it myself. He still has a two stroke push mower that looks like its been through hell and back but still runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I too have a two stroke Lawn Boy, 10201 model. At this point, its probably 20 years old.

I had to replace the spark plug last weekend, and let me tell you what a bitch that was. The one that was in there was a few years old, but finding a suitable substitute was almost impossible. I finally found a plug that was similar, had the right threads, but the electrode was a mm or two longer. Worked like a charm.

That said, I sharpen the blade and it starts on the 3rd pull every time. I run 40:1 in it and clean the carbon out of the doughnut every so often.

Nothing like the smell of 2 stroke and fresh cut grass in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
So can you port/polish and tune the pipe?  Plus you could deck the head run it on 100LL!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Try to find one with the 6.5hp motor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Well...I'm going to look at 2 different Lawn Boys around noon. One is a 4hp and the other 6.5hp. They both seem to be in great shape, and without seeing them I tend to lean toward more hp.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#21]
parents had em when they had their lawn services. suzuki gts motors on toros. i shit you not a worn out gts would mow shit that a 6 hp 4 stroke won't
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Lawn Boy 2 strokes spin faster than 4 strokes.  That's why they cut and mulch better.  They also vacuum very well when in bag mode.  But I never saw a reason to bag unless I was using it to rake leaves.  It had a leaf shredder attachment that was basically a piece of expanded metal screen that insured the leaves got finely chopped before going into the bag.  Again, the key was the higher rpm of the engine.

Lawn Boy 2 strokes were also very light.  You really don't need a drive if you live in a flat area.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Used mainly on steep inclines.  Do not have to worry about lack of lubrication like 4 stroke engines.  If you have a lack of power check exhaust port.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#25]
A Lawn Boy 2 stroke I picked up out of the roadside trash was the best mower I ever owned.  That was about 1988 & the mower was from 1975.  The stator plate needed to be tighten & it needed a recoil spring.  For $4.00 I had a light weight easy to push mower that lasted 12yrs.

The cracked mower deck finally broke off.  I traded it away to a "blades sharpened - lawn mowers repaired" kind of retired guy.  The engine was still good, he got that & I got a 'newer' two stroke Lawn Boy for $30.  He switched the motor to another deck & sold it later that week.  We were both happy.

That second 2 stroke mower lasted another 10yrs.

I replaced it with a 4 stroke self propelled Lawn Boy.  It runs fine, starts easy but isn't nearly as good as the older two strokes.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I first started mowing the lawn at my parents house with a lawnboy self propelled mower. That thing was a tank, and we had it for something close to 15 or 20 years IIRC. Couldn't kill the lime green machine!

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Toro used to have a 2 stroke, man you could fly down the yard with those things. So light
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#28]
We had a two stroke Lawn Boy when I was a kid. It ran and cut great, but the problem I had with it was that damn offset small wheel. It made the mower scalp spots if the lawn you were mowing wasn't perfectly level. Our lawn was perfect Grandpa made sure of that. But some of the lawns I mowed for money weren't, and I had to learn where the low or rough spots were to avoid scalping.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Just got back in from trying it out! I picked up the 6.5hp from a guy who repairs and sells mowers on the side. This one was made in 2000, and was an estate mower that he said hadn't been used in 5 to 7 years before he got it. He said he cleaned the carb and replaced the primer bulb. It starts on the 1st pull and runs great! Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
What is this pull-start business? My self-propelled mower has an electric starter.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So can you port/polish and tune the pipe?  Plus you could deck the head run it on 100LL!

I like your style
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is this pull-start business? My self-propelled mower has an electric starter.

Kharn

LOL I was fixated on the 2 stroke buisiness. That wasn't even a consideration!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top