Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2012 2:44:42 PM EDT
Our neighborhood is "wired" for it (fibers were ran to each yard), and I'm wondering if it's any good, and if so, do they need to root through your house running new fibers to each room for each device? (like most here, I go out of my way to keep strangers/workers out of the house)
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious about this myself.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Our neighborhood is "wired" for it (fibers were ran to each yard), and I'm wondering if it's any good, and if so, do they need to root through your house running new fibers to each room for each device? (like most here, I go out of my way to keep strangers/workers out of the house)

Wow.  No, verizon will not run fiber (or anything else) inside your house.
I like it, but if you seriously think you'll be dropping fiber devices inside your house it may not be for you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The fiber only comes to your house then they hook it up to your existing coax and twisted pair.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fiber only comes to your house then they hook it up to your existing coax and twisted pair.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Customer service is nonexistent. The call center people are beyond incompetent and if you have an issue, you'll be on the phone for at least 2 hours. I've had numerous issues with FiOS (getting a HD DVR, channel outages, ect...) and the only reason I haven't switched to Dish or some other provider is I haven't found the time to look into other companies.

Please, do yourself a favor and don't give Verizon a dime of your entertainment money.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
We switched from Cox to Verizon a year ago after we got sick an tried of the modem(Internet and Phone) resetting because of shitty line quality that Cox was unable or unwilling to fix. It was a problem with the line feeding the neighborhood

As far as FIOS goes no problems with the service as long as the union retards in the office are not fucking with account information.

Edit: Back home I have the 35Mbps plan and I easily top out at 45Mpbs. I would post a speedtest pic but I'm not home right now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Customer service is nonexistent. The call center people are beyond incompetent and if you have an issue, you'll be on the phone for at least 2 hours. I've had numerous issues with FiOS (getting a HD DVR, channel outages, ect...) and the only reason I haven't switched to Dish or some other provider is I haven't found the time to look into other companies.

Please, do yourself a favor and don't give Verizon a dime of your entertainment money.

Their IP service has been flawless for me (northern VA).  I refused their video package.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Here the FIOS is much better during storm season.  Cable(Brighthouse) gets very pixelated during storms.  Lightning loves underground cables.  FIOS is always clear no problems.  The reason I do not have it is because I would have to buy the Super Duper Premium package to get the Sportsman channel and Outdoor channels.  I can just pick and choose what I want from cable.  So my bill is like $30 less using cable.  Most of my friends have FIOS though, so I know the package deals.  Also I think you have to pay for a Home PH to get the FIOS TV package in my area.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
i use FIOS for internet only, no TV. service has been flawless for about 5 years. I've got a 20Mb service and i have no complaints with the speed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Had it in VA, loved it, wished I could get it in MS. They run the fiber to a wall mounted box that splits the signal and lets you transmit it through coax cable. Never went down during storms, had amazingly fast internet, and the channel selection and HD quality was great.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually the person that planted this idea in my head today warned that FiOS customer service was nonexistent.  Too bad, because the price point sure is attractive.  Comcast is raping us here in Northern Virginia.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have it for TV and Internet and have been overall happy with it. The couple of times I've had to deal with CS, it's been no different than any other utility (a pain in the ass but not impossible).
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had them for the past few years.  Customer service blows.  I have only had a problem with their Billing though.  No issues with service.  They are cheaper and faster with more channels than Comcast.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the internet/phone package, it costs the same as phone service+DSL internet did with unlimited long distance thrown in. For two years anyway. The guy came in, unplugged my DSL modem and router from my computer and plugged in new ones. Went downstairs to the electrical room (I'm in a condo) unplugged the copper from the DSL switch and plugged it into the fiber switch, then waited for it to come up. It didn't work right so he made a call and after holding awhile they told him to plug the wires into another port. The router came pre set up with a network and password, all I had to do was sign my devices onto the new network. It's way faster than DSL. If you live in a house, they'll probably need to put in an optical network terminal, they had that all set up in my building.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually the person that planted this idea in my head today warned that FiOS customer service was nonexistent.  Too bad, because the price point sure is attractive.  Comcast is raping us here in Northern Virginia.

Comcast rocks here. I occasionally lose service, late at night, for maybe 30 minutes, but every time I call, I rarely wait more than a few minutes to speak to somebody.

ETA) Their internet here is blazing fast as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have had nothing but great service from Verizon/Fios.  Maybe they treat yall up behind enemy lines (NOVA) differently?  
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comcast rocks here. I occasionally lose service, late at night, for maybe 30 minutes, but every time I call, I rarely wait more than a few minutes to speak to somebody.

ETA) Their internet here is blazing fast as well.

Comcast performance and customer service are good here in NoVa too, but thy keep jacking up their prices - they charge WAY too much in this area for HD TV and internet.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

We switched from Cox to Verizon a year ago after we got sick an tried of the modem(Internet and Phone) resetting because of shitty line quality that Cox was unable or unwilling to fix. It was a problem with the line feeding the neighborhood

As far as FIOS goes no problems with the service as long as the union retards in the office are not fucking with account information.

Edit: Back home I have the 35Mbps plan and I easily top out at 45Mpbs. I would post a speedtest pic but I'm not home right now.
I'm in Loudoun, so we have Fios or Comcast.

I preferred Fios with the TV/phone/internet to the Comcast Tripleplay, but Comcast came in last year and cut my bill compared to Fios by 30%+ and threw in HBO/Starz.

But the TV/DVR menu sux so bad it was almost a deal breaker.

Now Fios was back last month or so offering to undercut Comcast by $25 but no mention of throwing in HBO.

I do watch some stuff on Comcast online, and have no clue yet whether Fios is comparable.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]
verizon fios is phenomenal. i had sat tv which went out whenever it got cloudy, windy, snowy or rainy. i switched to comcast for tv and internet and was constantly fighting off hacking attacks and long tv outages. i switched to verizon fios and have no hacking attacks and very few tv outages. expensive as fuck though. i've had good customer service the one time i needed it. guy was from india, mumbai, and we talked about the weather, work conditions, how good his english was...
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish I could have my FIOS back.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]

I have it...running a little slow right now

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had FIOS for over a year.  So far no issues.  Internet is still fast (my son plays games on the internet and has no complaints vs. cable concerning speed), TV is good, phone works as always.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have only had one issue in the years I had FIOS.  I called, they came out and in the end I ended up with a new DVR that has twice the storage as the one I had prior.  No complaints here.

Current speed...

bluesticky
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#24]
TV and internet here - very satisfied with performance and customer service.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have had nothing but great service from Verizon/Fios.  Maybe they treat yall up behind enemy lines (NOVA) differently?  

Same here, no problems with CS.

We dieched Comcast as our connection would drop whenever the wind blew.

FIOS is rock solid and has only gone down 2 times in 5 years.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Switched from cox to fios 2 months ago. Got relatively same services (internet, phone and cable), but the internet package was faster and more HD channels and monthly bill is nearly 25% less (not a promotional price either)

Even if they were same price point, the TV options and internet speed differences are way better for fios. All the set top boxes are integrated into a network connected to your computer. Much better DVR options, channel guides, integration with your computer so you can watch your videos or listen to your music on any TV, youtube etc). Sure you can get those things via other ways, but its built in already and costs me less than Cox.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in w. McLean.  I got FOIS when it was first offered several years ago.  Love it, and have had no issues with any time I have had to call customer service.  Based on my experience I'm happy.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#28]
A few years ago Verizon approached homeowners in my neighborhood and offered to run fiber for free to each home, provide free equipment (including battery backup) as well as six months of free Internet. The only stipulation was that X number of people had to sign up to make it worth their time. Long story short, most of my neighbors shot it down because they didn't want Verizon to dig up their damned grass...

Morons

Comcast is our only choice for decent broadband here, and their rates have skyrocketed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I can only dream of FIOS or CATV. We are lucky to have DSL and even a mention of FIOS to the local verizon guys is met with laughter
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Can't speak for Verizon, We dumped Comcast for FIOS from Lumus, formerly nTelos. Lower price, more channels, internet continues to work when it is raining. No complaints so far.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Had it in a previous house, wish it was available in our current house. Customer service is awful and it is expensive compared with other providers but the Internet was blazing fast and TV features were great.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]
All of you are lucky bastards.

I'm a big city boy and yet it's somehow not available in my area
I have normal verizon dsl (7mb), best my area has. Customer service is very good, but my expectations aren't of them working magic so maybe that's why my experience is positive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Here in Arlington County, we just switched from DirecTV and Comcast internet.  Satellite TV would always go down during storms and if the wind blew and pushed the tree branches the wrong way. Cable internet would bog down in the afternoons and evenings when everyone jumped online. We had several outages and Comcast would charge for a service visit every time even though it was their line issues. Large file downloads would begin fine, then bog down and ultimately freeze in the middle of the download.

Once we came off our DirecTV contract, we switched. Fios has been available in our neighborhood for several years, but I was hesitant to swiitch when it first came out due to reading horror stories from the early adopters, as well as several bad experiences with Verizon DSL. So far we are very happy, and saving about $60 a month, with no contract. Fast and stable internet, as well as a marginally better HD picture.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Had it in VA, loved it, wished I could get it in MS. They run the fiber to a wall mounted box that splits the signal and lets you transmit it through coax cable. Never went down during storms, had amazingly fast internet, and the channel selection and HD quality was great.

I'm still in VA, have it, and am still loving it.  It's good to go.  Get it!  

TV/Internet/Phone/DVR/WifiRouter all for $89/month.  Speed, reliability, and value can't beat it.  Had lots of cable companies trying to get me to switch back.  Hell no.

ETA:

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Try this test as well.  It was mentioned on Leo Laporte's broadcast yester, so I gave it a whirl:

http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/analysis/

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:50:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I LOVE IT. Optimum cable was screwing us so bad. we have ALOT more channels now for less money. Not to mention Optimum cable cut back its internet then launched a "new faster internet" Which was only the original speed we had for years and they wanted more money. I told them to fuck off with their shitty service and interwebz. The best was some doch from Optimum came to my door in a terrencial down pour with a clip board trying to convince us to come back to optimum. I stood in my door with the screen door closed talking to him while he got soaked to the bone. He couldnt understand why I didnt want 8mbps download and 1.8 mbps upload anymore and I didnt want glitchy TV with fucked up digitized channels and didnt want to deal with ghetto trash employees that optimum seems to hire.

My fios is running a bit slow today its usually 45mbps down and 35 up

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Have had FIOS for several years, speeds very similar to what others have posted.  Have never needed service.  Love the internet, tv selection is decent.  Phone is good, no problems.  

Comcast and RCN both sucked compared to it, but hey at least we had choices.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I've had FIOS in NoVA for 5 or 6 years now.  Never had an issue with it.  It just works.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I've gone back and forth between Verizon FIOS and Comcast XFINITY for the past 3-4 years.  There is no difference in picture quality or speed and slight differences in the lineup.  

They constantly try to win back customers from each other, so I spend a year on one at the introductory rate and then switch to the other for the introductory rate.  Three years ago they both had a 15-20MB speed package, now they both have a 50+MB speed packages.  Neither of them are interested in customer service.  

My year of Comcast just ended this, so time to call Verizon again so I can watch game of thrones.

I really don't like the bulky and unsightly verizon fios box on my back wall in my basement.  It seems totally unnecessary to have a wall mounted modem with a battery.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Have had it (DFW area) for a few months now at our new house. We pay for 15 down/5 up, get about 25 down/5 up. Never needed service, and our house was already set up for FiOS when we moved in.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#41]
FIOS is pretty amazing

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top