Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2012 7:33:42 AM EDT
So, I have an 09 4X4. I'm kind of wanting to do a cat-back exhaust swap.

Anyone done it? What brand kit did you use?

I'm not looking for loudness. So no 2 chamber flowmasters.

I just want something without a lot of resonance at highway cruising speeds.

It would help if I could get a little gas mileage improvement as well.

ETA: Pic of truck and it does have a BFL on back window

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
No opinions at all?

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this kit installed on my Tacoma 2006 TRD 4X4.

It definitely improved my performance, I can't say for sure if I got a improvement on MPG, as I am running a 6 inch lift and 35"s.

I also got a noticable power improvement, maybe 10-15HP out of it, I also replaced my headers with JBA.

It did get louder, which at first I was wanting a little more aggressive sound, until I realized, that it would make it louder in the hills as well.

Flowmaster

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply. When you say louder, do you mean at idle or at cruising speed?

I'm not really fond of loud exhausts on daily drivers which is what my truck is.

But the performance boost does sound tempting.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
This is exactly what mine sounds like.

I am going to be putting the TRD supercharger on mine as well.

So I don't know what to expect out of that mixed in as well.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds really good. How is it on the highway?

Does it resonate a lot inside the cab?

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That sounds really good. How is it on the highway?

Does it resonate a lot inside the cab?

It's... noticeable I had a friend's wife say "I can feel it right under my ass!", with an ear to ear grin.

I usually crank my Ipod just enough to drown out the exhaust and my tire hum.

I have aggressive tire tread as well, and a bit of hum, so it's a mix of factors.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm, I guess I should'nt have been so quick to rule out Flowmaster.

I think I will take a look at their system in person. Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a look on youtube at a few of the Tacoma flowmaster vids.

Depending on the camera, angles, and quality you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I am pretty happy with mine, although I do think from time to time, I gave up some "stealth" factor.

I have had people ask, "Did you put one of those Jap fart cans on it?", then I explain everything I have done to it and plan on doing, then they back off.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Magnaflow usually has a pretty mellow sound without raspiness and is a straight through muffler so it will add a few horses. If you have a factory resonator installed it won't drone on the highway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Magnaflow usually has a pretty mellow sound without raspiness and is a straight through muffler so it will add a few horses. If you have a factory resonator installed it won't drone on the highway.

Magnaflow was the first brand that came to mind. I had one of their mufflers on my old ranger.

I liked it. But I don't know what their current products are like. This was 15 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Spend some time here...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/

You'll find maybe too much information.

When you make the exhaust modifications you may need to 'tune' the electronics to get the most performance from the increased flow.

Love the Tacoma's. Love the Tacoma's!

Had an '06 TRD Off Road Access Cab. First 'New Truck' ever! Loved it, but ended up realizing that it was wasted bed space for my uses even with a hard cover. Traded it for 6-speed FJ where I could keep gear inside, 'at hand' and still enjoy the same off-road capabilities. Made the mistake of driving a '10 FJ with the tuned Bilstein TRD suspension and the 'enhanced' motor. Ended up installing the TRD Performance Exhaust kit and realized that I'd lost the low-end off-the-line grunt and replaced it in the low-midrange around 2500 RPM's in highway cruising speed. I'm OK with that trade. My highway MPG is an easy 22 at tax-worthy speeds. With a tail wind I can catch 25.

I ran the Tacoma and the '07 FJ with a high-flow air filter and the performance 'increase' was not enough to justify the decreased filtering.

I do plan on installing a different header exhaust manifolds that will mate up with the TRD system. The newly redesigned heads and rocker system should perform really well, especially with a professional dyno-tune.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top