Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 5:31:44 AM EDT
[center][b]Warning - Shameless Plug[/b][/center]

If anyone is traveling in southwest Virginia, be sure to stop and see The Long Way Home in Radford, VA.

This is the story of Mary Draper Ingles, who, in 1755, was captured by the Shawnee indians and taken to Ohio.  She escaped and walked back 855 miles in six weeks to the New River Valley.

Her story is presented in a FREE play performed at Radford High School, in Radford VA.

The play was previously performed outdoors as a much larger production, but had to be cancelled last year due to a devastating fire.  A more modest production is being offered FREE this year in order to "give back" to a generous community and audiences past.

The original production will be re-staged when the set is rebuilt, hopefully next year.  

The reason for this shameless plug is that my daughter is in it, and I am extraordinarily proud of her.  I also wish to see the play survive this "rebuilding year" and come back better than ever next year.

The Long Way Home is a non-profit enterprise that barely scrapes by every year.  This year they only wish your attendance as an encouragement to continue.  Ars Gratia Artis.

Did I mention that it was FREE?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good.  As a kid I used to read all these frontier stories when I was supposed to be sleeping.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I read the book years ago, and watched the TV movie about it.  (Gabrielle from Xena) was one of the actresses.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Kicking it back up.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT for the dinner crowd!

Thank you. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT for the morning crew.

As an added bonus, anyone who comes gets to see the FatMan get shot and killed by an Indian.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Lunch anyone?

Another shameless BTT.

Show opens Friday.  I'll stop then if the mods haven't locked.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Suggestion:  Hardly anybody seems to be voicing an interest, but maybe if you change the subject line to something like:

"She Escaped Shawnees, Hiking 20+ Mi./ Day",

more people will respond.  

I wish I could see it, but I'm at the wrong end of the country.  

I'm sure you're very proud of your daughter.  I know I was real proud of my son's theatre work.  Still am!

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Taking PRK's suggestion.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, that did the trick, all right!

Sounds like a very interesting story to see performed.

Unfortunately, I've never been to Southwest Virginia.

It still remains in my 'Things to Do' list.

Eric The(MaybeIShouldMoveItToTheTopOfTheList)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this the same women that escape her way through the New River valley area and it was winter? I believe my wife has that book in our library and wasn't there another women who escape with her that traveled part way but went bonkers? I did not read it but she would read parts from the book and it was simply amazing.

I've white water raft the New River dozens of times and I tell you, to come up through that gorge, even with supplies would be an amazing feat today.

I'm sure a trip like it would of killed 90% of the members on this board [:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this the same women that escape her way through the New River valley area and it was winter? I believe my wife has that book in our library and wasn't there another women who escape with her that traveled part way but went bonkers? I did not read it but she would read parts from the book and it was simply amazing.

I've white water raft the New River dozens of times and I tell you, to come up through that gorge, even with supplies would be an amazing feat today.

I'm sure a trip like it would of killed 90% of the members on this board [:)]
View Quote

Yes, it was in November, and Mary escaped with a Mrs. Bingamin, who started the trip mentally unbalanced, and declined along the way.  She was eventually reunited with her husband in Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[center][b]Warning - Shameless Plug[/b][/center]

If anyone is traveling in southwest Virginia, be sure to stop and see The Long Way Home in Radford, VA.

This is the story of Mary Draper Ingles, who, in 1755, was captured by the Shawnee indians and taken to Ohio.  She escaped and walked back 855 miles in six weeks to the New River Valley.

Her story is presented in a FREE play performed at Radford High School, in Radford VA.

The play was previously performed outdoors as a much larger production, but had to be cancelled last year due to a devastating fire.  A more modest production is being offered FREE this year in order to "give back" to a generous community and audiences past.

The original production will be re-staged when the set is rebuilt, hopefully next year.  

The reason for this shameless plug is that my daughter is in it, and I am extraordinarily proud of her.  I also wish to see the play survive this "rebuilding year" and come back better than ever next year.

The Long Way Home is a non-profit enterprise that barely scrapes by every year.  This year they only wish your attendance as an encouragement to continue.  Ars Gratia Artis.

Did I mention that it was FREE?

Thanks.
View Quote

I am a descendant of her.  My ancestors settled the area around Independence,VA.  Today, I have gads of family from there,down the New River basin through the Valley Crucis.  This story has been told around my families' tables for over 200 years!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
ETH. I believe you to be a connoisseur of the finer adventures in life (based on reading your posts). You should consider the New River white water rafting on your "soon to do" list. I think you would really enjoy it.

It's not "*street legal" but it's a lot of fun with your pants on.

(*an inside joke about the posts for Bunghole when he wanted to purchase an ATV and you must have mention "street legal" fifty times). [:)]

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks FatMan. I thought it was the same person. Keep up the "Shameless Plug".
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the recommendation, [b]Ramjet[/b]!

I love [u]anything[/u] that has to do with water!

And going down a 'white water' river is the best thing to do, IMHO!

I'll be checking on this New River white water rafting thing in the near future!

Thanks!

Eric The('StreetLegal'Heh-heh)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Captured by the Indians, her suffering was in tents...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
FatMan, the title change worked. [;)]

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to attend the play on Friday, but it sounds like a great story.

Does anybody have the name of the book or movie handy? I'll have to catch the story that way, I guess.

Thanks for the invite and congratulations to your daughter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#18]
was the book written by James Alexander Thom?

i think the title was [i]Follow the River[/i] or something like that.

read that.  it was good, good, good.  but then the author is great.  actually met him once too.  cool guy.  lives in southern indiana with a native american indian wife.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FatMan, the title change worked. [;)]

Unfortunatly, I won't be able to attend the play on Friday, but it sounds like a great story.

Does anybody have the name of the book or movie handy? I'll have to catch the story that way, I guess.

Thanks for the invite and congratulations to your daughter.
View Quote

The play runs FRI-SAT-SUN from July 12-August 4.  Anyone who can make it, please stay after and say "Hi".  I'll be easy to recognize...I'm the FatMan.

EricThe(Whitewater)Hun:
If you get to the New River Valley, look me up.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#20]
If anyone in SW Virginia will be watching WDBJ channel 7 Friday morning, they will be airing an interview with the director and showing clips from last nights rehearsal.  Bad news: it'd on from 5:30am-7:00am in 3 different segments.

If they show the scene, I'm the (you guessed it) FatMan in the white powdered wig (which I'm going to ditch tonight.  My daughter has on a salmon colored gown.

Let me know if anyone catches it.

Thanks.

Did I remember to mention that the show is FREE?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, you asked for it.  Fatman as "Casper Barger" in The Long Way Home.  Picture inspired by Lumpy223.

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/FatMan/fatman.gif[/img]

Did I mention that the play is FREE?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]Lumpy's[/b] bear sure gets around![:D]

And just as mean and onery as ever!

Eric The(ROTFLMAO)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why didn't the woman just call 911?
[BD]
View Quote

Well, I understand that her cell phone battery was dead, and the Shawnee had no 110v outlets available. [:P]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks ARLady, I'll look for it.

BTT for FatMan.

Hope that dern'd bar didn't getcha' to bad.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...and the Shawnee had no 110v outlets available. [:P]
View Quote

[size=3][b]Savages![/b][/size=3]

Eric The(NoBottledSpringWaterToSlakeTheirThirstEither,ISuppose!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and the Shawnee had no 110v outlets available. [:P]
View Quote

[size=3][b]Savages![/b][/size=3]

Eric The(NoBottledSpringWaterToSlakeTheirThirstEither,ISuppose!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

That's the problem when you jump on the Emerging Technology bandwagon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Kicking it back up for the night crew!

If anyone sees Lumpy223, point him to this thread, please.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, the play opened and no-one threw rotten fruit!

I've never done anything like this before, and I'm having the time of my life, as is my daughter.  I never knew that she was such a graceful, mature young woman.  She's blossomed before my eyes.

Anyone else ever done anything like this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top