Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2012 9:05:01 PM EDT
Holy shit, what a major pain in the ass.  

This gets a perfect                 and

It gets worse every time I have to renew the motherfucker!

I am surprised they don't ask where your deceased relatives are buried and what the plot number is.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't done one in years, but having a brother married to a foreign national always livened things up.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't have a copy of your last 86? Copy, paste, alter and update.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It has expanded significantly in the last 5 years and nothing got transferred across from the old to the new, so it's like starting over and then some.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the suck zone.

I turned mine in not too long ago, and I'm getting the interview next week.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has expanded significantly in the last 5 years and nothing got transferred across from the old to the new, so it's like starting over and then some.

I know
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I like turltles
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done two and still never ended up in the military Major hair pulling pain in the ass! I remember doing homework to put it off.

Fuckin Army owes me 50 bucks too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know

Even with my old copy my last one took seven hours with no breaks. Probably a bit more complex for me than average, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like turltles

Me too. Painted, Boxer, Snapper, Alligator Snapper.....what kind we talking about?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
No offense, but suck it up. While they are a pain in the butt, you have to do ONE every five or ten years. Some of us have to explain, and review several a week.

By the way, the new policy from G2 to all S-2s is to reject any submissions not accompanied by a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know

Even with my old copy my last one took seven hours with no breaks. Probably a bit more complex for me than average, though.

Might be; we won't get into yours.

Depending on what scope your under and what clearance you carry determines how easy it really is. Generally, once it's completed, the "higher" clearances are easy(er) as they're updated more frequently.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shit has changed.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit has changed.  

I know. But you can bring a lot of stuff forward from your last 86 into e-QIP. If you kept a copy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Depending on what scope your under and what clearance you carry determines how easy it really is. Generally, once it's completed, the "higher" clearances are easy(er) as they're updated more frequently.

I am getting a confidential SSBI with access to uncontrolled unclassified material.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No offense, but suck it up. While they are a pain in the butt, you have to do ONE every five or ten years. Some of us have to explain, and review several a week.

By the way, the new policy from G2 to all S-2s is to reject any submissions not accompanied by a cup of coffee.

Been there, done that too.

The ones that really pissed me off were those that were all up in my cheerios asking about a clearance just to time out in EQIP so I had to re-initiate the request. I had one MSG that timed that fucker out 5 times, and he had a 30 day window  each time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am getting a confidential SSBI.

Fair enough. I wasn't going to ask...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit has changed.  

I know. But you can bring a lot of stuff forward from your last 86 into e-QIP. If you kept a copy.

I have a copy, it's the stuff that has changed that's a pain in the ass.
It's like I am doing the preliminary investigation into my own background.
Oh snap.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit has changed.  

I like having to remember every overseas TDY and who I was with.  I also got asked why I didn't put down that I moved to Spain when I was deployed there for four months.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Been there, done that too.  

The ones that really pissed me off were those that were all up in my cheerios asking about a clearance just to time out in EQIP so I had to re-initiate the request. I had one MSG that timed that fucker out 5 times, and he had a 30 day window  each time.

30 day window?!?

It's a 5 day window now.

That's why we make the SM fill out a PDF copy first before we initiate the request.

The way my shop runs it is we make the requesting SM sign a memo stating that they understand that they only have 5 days to fill out the e-quip. If they fail to complete it within the 5 days, we will only re-initiate if they get a memo from the Sergeant Major/Lt. Col stating they understood that they had five days, why they failed, and why they won't fail at filling out a form in the future.

Kinda a dick policy, but we have to many soldiers to help/service to waste time playing stupid games with just one soldier.

PFC BurningBuffalo has no problem telling MSG LikesToPlayStupidGames that there out of luck for that TS-SCI until they explain to the SGM why they can't fill a form out in a 5 day period.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Just had a flashback from 1996, paperwork was still on a damn floppy. That shit sucked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I copied all the old stuff onto to the new SF86.

Addresses were easy because anytime I moved, I'd update my paypal, so every address I have lived in is available on paypal.

Mines due every 5 years, but it should be quick since I'd still be in the same place and not much would've changed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I just finished mine last month, interview took 5 hours, all because of that stupid BS about TDY over 90 days. We had to go over every single one and ask if I had kept any contact with anyone, who I met while I was there, where I went, was three scoops of fucking retarded.

I was in the Army for 11 yrs and had over 20 TDY trips over 90 days to various shitholes all over the planet. They did find two debts I owed for totaling around 100 bucks that weren't on any of my credit reports so I appreciated that info.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Filled out 3 in the military, none of them ever got processed. "Pre-deployment paperwork" they called it.

When I actually got to filling one out for a civ job, had to go find all that info again, because I got so disgusted with not having anything processed in the past, I threw out all the previous SF's.

Save your info, make a note of all pertinent stuff (addresses, jobs, references, ect.) even after you have one. 5-10 years can sneak up on your quick, and a lot can change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top