Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 5:23:37 AM EDT
Simple question really.  Did ya feel like pulling out the ole AR15, going into the backyard, and dumping a mag or two into the air on the 4th?  
For me, the answer was yes.  I wanted to pull out the rifle, and bump off a few on the nice warm night of the 4th.  

I had my reasons, and I think they were good ones.  

1. Seeing the LAX shooting stuff got me kinda pissed.  I wanted to tell the muslims in my area, don't get uppity around here.  We don't need a local johnny jahad in this neck of the woods.

2. To tell the JBT's of the world, we are ready for ya.  [BD]

Now, I did not pull out the rifles and start blastin. I just wanted too.  
Maybe it was the liquor talking from the BBQ, but I just wanted to raise my rifle in the air, and "buck-buck-buck-buck" a couple, while screamin at the top of my lungs.

Sure, you can call me crazy for wanting to do that, but after you have met me, then you will understand.  [BD]

Now, I did not do it, cause of a couple of reasons.  One, I dont need the hassle from the 'man.   Very big reason.

Two, I follow the rules, and every round that comes out of the business end is my responsiblity.   I did not want to read about some kid a 1/2 mile away getting shot, living in a wheelchair, and having some pet monkey wipe his ass for him.   Then wondering if it was my bullet that hit him.  

Now, I do have blanks for 12 GA, .223, and .308 win.
I don't have the blank firing adapters for the guns. I would of had to charge each round.  
Not the same thing.  I wanted to bump off a couple really quick.

I was also part of the night in the city of Chicago.  Some of those "gun-free" folks wanted to buck a couple off their handguns that night too.   I talked them out of it, cause of the bullets comming back down onto the 'hood.  
Now, the neighboors down the block lit off a couple.

Anyways, what were your thoughts that night?
c-rock

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't even occur to me.  Of course hitting myself in the head with a brick or setting a large fire to watch it burn didn't either..i guess i'm just boring.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I just did call you crazy Crock (voted "You're Crazy!")

do you know where every single bullet will land and if its a safe zone. what if one comes down and scores a hit on human?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#3]
i considered (and rejected) firing a double charge (just powder, no bullet) out of the '61 springfield off my back step.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:19:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have popped a few into the ground before, but [u]never[/u] into the air...  What goes up, must come down!

This year, I let the local authorities know that I intended to set off a bunch of arial mortars, as the local fireworks display ([i]in the park across the street from my house[/i]) was breaking up.  In Illinois, it is very much a no-no to do this, but our local cops said that they allow "passes" at certain times of the year, and that everyone just needs to get things out of their systems right now!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I did not want to read about some kid a 1/2 mile away getting shot, living in a wheelchair, and having some pet monkey wipe his ass for him.  
View Quote

A little kid in these parts (Anaheim, CA) was spared that unpleasantness. The stray round that hit him at the 4th. of July picnic took out his aorta. He was probably dead before his parents realized what had happend.

Chalk one up for the anti-gunners...

[added in edit, looked up a story on it]

Boy, 9, fatally shot in park

July 6, 2002

By CATRINE JOHANSSON
The Orange County Register

BUENA PARK – Arturo Morales brought his 9-year-old brother to Boisseranc Park on the Fourth of July to shoot off fireworks with hundreds of other people.

Little did he know that one of the bangs he heard Thursday night wasn't from an exploding pyrotechnic. It was from a gun.

And seconds later, Morales' little brother, Xavier, was collapsed on the ground, dying from a bullet in his side.

Police on Friday were investigating the Anaheim boy's death as a homicide, Sgt. Rich Peña said. Investigators have no leads in the case. The bullet, which passed through Xavier, has not been recovered.

"Judging by the damage, it looks like a small-caliber gun, like a .22," Peña said. "But we're just speculating at this point."

Arturo Morales, 17, said he and his brother were standing near the Dale Street parking lot about 9 p.m. when Xavier walked up and said his stomach hurt.

"I thought it could be food poisoning or something, but then he passed out," Morales said.

Morales shook his brother and woke him up. Xavier vomited, then passed out again.

"I lifted his shirt," Morales said. "I saw blood and a hole in his side.

"That's when I called 911."

Xavier was transported to UCI Medical Center. As surgeons tried to save his brother's life, Morales called his mother, Eduwiges "Vicky" Morales, who was visiting relatives in San Ysidro.

"I told the doctors to please do what they could to save my son," Vicky Morales said. "I told them I was driving as fast as I could (to get there)."

Xavier left surgery about midnight, and his family held vigil at his bedside.

The doctors were hopeful at first, Vicky Morales said, but at 2 a.m. they told her that Xavier had lost too much blood and had suffered severe brain damage.

"They said that even if he made it, he'd be paralyzed from the waist down," his mother said.

Xavier died at 5 a.m.

Peña said the bullet went in one side of Xavier's body, damaged his aorta and lungs, and came out the other side.

"This makes us all sick," Peña said, on behalf of his fellow officers. "Such a young child, out celebrating the birth of this nation. He died before he had begun living."

Xavier's brother, mother and aunt gathered at the 20-acre community park Friday evening. The sounds of children at play were a sad backdrop to the makeshift memorial of American flags and a wreath at the spot where Xavier collapsed.

"He was the best kid ever," Vicky Morales said, choking back tears. "He loved making people laugh."

Xavier had a hearty appetite and loved pepperoni pizza, his mother said.

"I hope somebody can help find the person who did this," his mother said. "It won't bring my son back, but at least this person can't take any more lives if he's caught."
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
People have got practice what they preach. Randomly shooting a bunch of bullets into the air is totally irresponsible. You're violating a cardinal rule of shooting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It might be kinda cool to have a pet monkey wipe your ass tho'.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It might be kinda cool to have a pet monkey wipe your ass tho'.
View Quote

Train it right and you can have a reach-around too!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought about it but logic took over and I quickly knocked that idea.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People have got practice what they preach. Randomly shooting a bunch of bullets into the air is totally irresponsible. You're violating a cardinal rule of shooting.
View Quote

I know that, that is why I did not bump off a few that night.  
The point to me about shooting my rifle into the air, was to celebrate the birt of country.

To also show our ememy's, both foregn and domestic, that we have the will to fight.  
c-rock

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't shoot in the air on Independence day - but only because it got too dark to see the clay pigeons. Had enough 20ga in the car to give everyone in the family who's old enough to shoot a sore thumb from popping the action open over and over.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Alcohol, guns, and the fourth of July,
a bad combination indeed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I popped off a few shots with my Flintlock a couple of years ago...I loaded powder and paper packed on top so I didn't kill the guy next door tho...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Wanted to, but didn't. Not safe here.

Woof
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I wanted to as well. Of course I wasn't going to shoot loaded rounds, but blanks. I think that would be the best solution. Fire off a couple of rounds, and not have to worry about negligently killing anybody. Of course, I'm sure the cops wouldn't be to happ, either way.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wanted to, but didn't. Not safe here.

Woof
View Quote

Dito.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems nearly every year some perfectly nice people get killed around New Years or July 4 because some idiots in the middle of large cities fire guns into the air.  Makes perfect sense, after all, most large cities have made possession or use of fireworks illegal, so why not shoot your gun into the air?  

Well, if you want to make a loud noise to show how much fun you are having, get some real fire crackers.  Be a real criminal.  Take a chance.  Live a little.  Take a walk on the wild side.  Might blow a finger off, or put your eye out, but at least you won't kill anyone else in the process.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I took my ar15 out to where I shoot (private range) and got a buddy with a video camera to film me at about 10pm .. I dumped 7 mags with a bushy 16" A2....not my backyard but good enough
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I was at the beach, it would have been easy to let a few fly out into the Pacific Ocean.  Unfortunately I was too busy lighting off illegal fireworks/mortars/rockets to give it much thought.

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I wanted too because my greasy mexican neighbor was popping off fireworks at midnight, not to mention he shot saturn rockets toward my dad. Mearly turning on the light was enough to stop the commotion though (he knows me all too well).
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Even firing blanks and primers can often be enough to "entice" somebody else to go get their firearms and pop off live rounds...  

It's just bad karma however you look at it, so that's why I stuck to the illegal fireworks, rather than putting a few rounds in the dirt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I remember growing up my nieghbor decided to dump a belt through his M60 into the woods behind our house. Pretty cool when I was young but now that I think about it the woods were only 2000 ft deep or so with a neighbor hood on the other side.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wanted too because my greasy mexican neighbor was popping off fireworks
View Quote

Nice racest remark, gringo...

[):)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top