Did it go boom yet?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
CATCH!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep

What if you let the handle or what ever it is called go?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
shortest troll thread evah!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as you don't release the spoon, I think so.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
When you pull the pin from Mr. Grenade he is no longer your friend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There should be a post count limit that you have to reach before you can rock the BFL on your ride.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
In after the explosion
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yep

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

If the spoon flies before you put the pin back in, you're fucked. The spoon holds the spring-loaded firing pin in place. Once the spoon flies, the FP hits the primer, which ignites a slow burning fuse compound that then ignites a detonator compound causing the primary charge to go BOOM and you die.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
shortest troll thread evah!!!

Had to. Saw it on a yahoo questions last week on some online humor site and it made me chuckle. Thought I'd share a laugh.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

Its called a SPOON!!! NO if the spoon goes, you go BOOOMMM!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

C-YA!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried putting the pin back in some CS canisters, and also flashbangs... its kinda hard, if the cotter pin type things are pried apart, but its possible
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There should be a post count limit that you have to reach before you can rock the BFL on your ride.  

He has a gold star, you have bronze.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]
OP is fucked......dibs on guns and ammo

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Drop the pin, throw the grenade.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
The one I used to have caused a short flame to light my cigarette with when I pulled the pin.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Best prank ever:

Friend of mine walks up to his squad leader in Afghanistan holding a grenade in one hand and a pin from a previously used smoke grenade in the other.

He says, "Segeant, how do you put this back in?"

Sergeant gives him the most serious look and says, "Very carefully you need to walk to the hescos and throw it over."

Friend says ok, turns around, drops grenade and screams "OH SHIT!"

He was not amused.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
True story.

I had a ring catch on a hand railing and the loudest sound in the world is that thing landing on concrete.  I had had the forethought to position the spoons against my mag pouches.  It never moved.  

It was pretty tense as the guy re-inserted the pin.  

I was an M203 gunner at the time, and had about 10 HEDP in my vest along with the 4 frags.  I am pretty sure  that not many of them would have sympathetically detonated.  Pretty sure.  

Wouldn't have mattered to me anyway, except for getting my cherry ass kicked in St. Peter's presence.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Friend told me about training at NTC. Guy dropped the grenade and threw the pin.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes just cant cook it off
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#24]
...And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [At this point, the friar is urged by Brother Maynard to "skip a bit, brother"]... And the LORD spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

You had better fucking throw it!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

You had better fucking throw it!

Fucking right!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
must be typeing with both hands
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

There’s a safety device that won’t let the grenade go off until it gets so far from your body. If you let the spoon go and there’s no safe place to throw it, your best bet is to pull it in tight to your body and hold it there for a while.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Friend told me about training at NTC. Guy dropped the grenade and threw the pin.

Pauly Shore??

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I wonder if anybody would fess up if they fumbled a grenade during basic/boot or on deployment.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Need answer fast!!

Snort!

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

run

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

run

It is called the "spoon"

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Best prank ever:

Friend of mine walks up to his squad leader in Afghanistan holding a grenade in one hand and a pin from a previously used smoke grenade in the other.

Sergeant gives him the most serious look and says, "Very carefully you need to walk to the hescos and throw it over."

He was not amused.

Not funny.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

Its called a SPOON!!! NO if the spoon goes, you go BOOOMMM!!!

After 4-5 seconds on an M67 fragmentation grenade.  How it works:

The spoon holds a hammer back.  The pin secures the spoon and hammer into the fuse.  A secondary spring clip also secures the spoon to the fuse.

With spoon held to the body of the grenade and the safety clip removed, the pin can be pulled.  Nothing happens until the grenade leaves your hand.  The spoon pivots off, releasing the hammer which strikes a primer and ignites the fuse.  After 4-5 seconds, the fuse ignites a small non-electric blasting cap causing the composition B to go high order.

In the M67, the body is made of a steel casting with many interior projections, forming a uniform shrapnel cloud.  Practice grenades are made of cast iron without fragmentation projections and  are much heavier than real M67 grenades.  Practice grenades are made for use with practice fuses which only contain a small quantity (15 grains) of black powder.  This is why there is a hole in the bottom of practice grenades, this allows the report to be vented.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Best prank ever:

He was not amused.

Not endearing himself to the squad leader.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#37]
You dont have to let the spoon fly, to arm the grenade. There is the thing called milking the spoon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]
And he was never heard from again.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]
There's a common belief that "milking" the grenade by releasing the spoon slightly to half way will ignite the fuse train even if pressure is reapplied.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes.  Assuming the spoon was not released.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Theoretically only if you don't let go of the spoon?  That's what I assumed anyway.
In reality, I don't think I'd want to try it.  Unless its a "this is for Matilda" type situation, if I ever end up pulling a pin from a grenade, it is going to be flung far away from me.

Given my line of work and age, I doubt I'll ever have to worry about this situation.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best prank ever:

He was not amused.

Not funny.

Would be even better if you had an extra spoon to fall on the ground with it.

Like others have said, you can pull the pin out as long as you are holding the grenade and not releasing the spoon, you could hold onto it like that for 50 years if you wanted to. Once the pin is out and the spoon is released you can hold it for the rest of your life....give or take 5 seconds.

Side note: the "fuck you" to weight ratio of grenades is pretty damn awesome.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#43]
My former senator dropped his grenade and lived to tell about it. Max Cleland

In the Army my room mate and I had a friend over and we are drinking maybe a lot . we start tossing a CS grenade back and forth . I pull the pin and toss it to my room mate and the friend about falls over himself getting away . I duct taped the spoon we laughed he was pissed .
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You dont have to let the spoon fly, to arm the grenade. There is the thing called milking the spoon.

You can hear it when the hammer hits .  And there can be a wisp of smoke from the fuse.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder if anybody would fess up if they fumbled a grenade during basic/boot or on deployment.  

When I was at Basic, I saw a guy who never should have been allowed near a live grenade (he never successfully threw a practice one) throw a real M67 in to the wall immediately in front of him during the live fire exercise.  He bent to pick it up when the SGT who was with him grabbed him, threw him out of the pit and dove for cover himself.  No one was hurt, thank God.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

My former senator dropped his grenade and lived to tell about it. Max Cleland
In the Army my room mate and I had a friend over and we are drinking maybe a lot . we start tossing a CS grenade back and forth . I pull the pin and toss it to my room mate and the friend about falls over himself getting away . I duct taped the spoon we laughed he was pissed .

People act funny around things they think are going to explode.

I grew up in a fairly liberal area, so I was the only "gun guy" in my group of friends.

Anyway, in HS, my great uncle gave me a dummy rifle grenade for an M1.  To a lay-person this thing looked like a large blue "bomb".

A friend was over my house and I was showing it to him and he was acting really nervous...backing away, looking towards the door, etc.

I figured it was a golden opportunity so I said: "What, are you afraid? Here hold it, oh shit!" and then I dropped it on the floor.

He literally DOVE out of the room and hid behind the wall.

I told him that if it was a real grenade, two layers of sheet rock and a couple studs weren't going to save his ass.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I dont know can you

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Some guy admitted to it and gave his story in a thread a while back. Was the one showing the Chinese recruit fumbling a practice grenade.

Remember watching some show with Dad way back when I was a kid. Had video of a SWAT member trying to put a pin back in a flashbang and dropped it into the cargo pocket on his leg. He lived with no real injuries.

Dad, as a Vietnam vet, said it was his opinion that you should never try to put a pin back in any type of grenade once it is pulled. The best thing to do is to throw it. Went on to say that, personally, he didn't care to walk around with a grenade hanging off of him that had the pin reinserted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was at Basic, I saw a guy who never should have been allowed near a live grenade (he never successfully threw a practice one) throw a real M67 in to the wall immediately in front of him during the live fire exercise. He bent to pick it up when the SGT who was with him grabbed him, threw him out of the pit and dove for cover himself. No one was hurt, thank God.

Saw this one too, it was a female throwing the grenade.  Instructor threw her out of the pit and landed on top of her.  She was pissed that she got a few bruised ribs from him landing on top of her.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You got it wrong, he's supposed to drop the grenade, throw the pin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top