Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2012 8:33:55 PM EDT
I locked the keys in my friend's pickup, which I am currently borrowing while mine is in the body shop. He doesn't have a spare set of keys, and this thing seems theft proof. Has anyone ever had to break into one?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
ya i called on star, they opened it right up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Chainsaw wedges in the top of the door, coat hanger through the opening between the door and body to hit the automatic lock button.....

Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Chainsaw wedges in the top of the door, coat hanger through the opening between the door and body to hit the automatic lock button.....

Ask me how I know

Was that an 07 up chevy pickup? It seems that the body and door line up as to not allow that. Also, this pickup doesn't have the onstar turned on, and they charge something ridiculous to unlock the door from what I understand.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It was an 07, but the older body style, I haven't tried it with the new style....it was a work truck so I got creative
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know

Was that an 07 up chevy pickup? It seems that the body and door line up as to not allow that. Also, this pickup doesn't have the onstar turned on, and they charge something ridiculous to unlock the door from what I understand.  

i bet it wont cost more than a new window, or fixing the door after you scratch and dent it to hell

All of the times i had to use mine i was under the 1 year free deal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Not all 07's have Onstar, but that's a VERY good suggestion.

These trucks are not easy to get into without breaking or bending something.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you considered calling a locksmith, or is that plan B after you exhaust the anonymous internet advice?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It did take 3 or 4 wedges to get a big enough crack to get the coat hanger in
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
i had an 01 GMT800 silverado, and a locksmith couldnt jimmy it open. but he pulled out a set of about 250 GM master keys, and about 200 key-tries later, my door was open.

*ETA - while he carefully tried key after key, i heard story after story of ever rare and curious lock and key he has seen over the past 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Post this in the Detroit Hometown forum. I'm sure you'll get the info there.

Roy
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The owner might be able to have a key cut from a dealer with the VIN #
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Have you considered calling a locksmith, or is that plan B after you exhaust the anonymous internet advice?

Definitely plan B. I don't need it until morning, and there is no point to get a locksmith out of bed just to have him come unlock the pickup. These pickups even have a plastic strip so you can't get a coathanger between the window and the door.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know

i bet it wont cost more than a new window, or fixing the door after you scratch and dent it to hell

Call Onstar and give them your info and pay the 16 dollar credit card charge then. They'll pop the locks for you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't try prying the doors. You will be able to unlock it but, tthe doors will have wind noise at speed from then on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
bladder and big easy.

Pretty much the air bladder from a blood pressure cuff that you slip between the door and frame, pump up to the point you can slide in a ~4' long metal hook. You can bend the rod however you need to hit unlock button, open door handle or pop the little lock tab thing.

My best time is 11 seconds on a ford
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The owner might be able to have a key cut from a dealer with the VIN #

This might be a legitimate option.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know

Call Onstar and give them your info and pay the 16 dollar credit card charge then. They'll pop the locks for you.

i remember back in my heavy drinking days i had to call Onstar more than once to find my truck for me
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
dbl
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
bladder and big easy.

Pretty much the air bladder from a blood pressure cuff that you slip between the door and frame, pump up to the point you can slide in a ~4' long metal hook. You can bend the rod however you need to hit unlock button, open door handle or pop the little lock tab thing.

It will warp the door on this body style.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me how I know

How sure are you that it is only 16 dollars? From what i've been told, you have to start a subscription with them before they pop the locks.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#21]
$16 for on-star sounds like a deal.  I have a 05 Chevy Colorado and it took the Pop-A-Lock guys 2 1/2 hours and 3 of them to get it open.  They scratched the hell out of the door jam.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Join AAA.
Call for assistance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
bladder and big easy.

Has not warped mine the two times I have done it nor have any of my customers reported road noise after opening. These are the type of people who bitch about EVERYTHING.

If it is I have not noticed it on my '07 2500 or my '10 1500.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep a few chunks of wood for wedges and a coat hanger in the bed of my truck for just such an occasion.  Have had to use it once or twice too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bladder and big easy.

Has not warped mine the two times I have done it nor have any of my customers reported road noise after opening. These are the type of people who bitch about EVERYTHING.

Is that on a chevy? or a ford?

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bladder and big easy.

Is that on a chevy? or a ford?  

Chevys. Have yet to find a vehicle that is resistant to this method. One of mfg's (can't remember what) tried to disable everything to prevent it but we got luck and the keys we still part way in the ignition. Used the big easy turn the key to "on" and than hit unlock..

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Well looks like i'll give this a shot and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Take the rear window out. Pop it back in when you're done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Take the rear window out. Pop it back in when you're done.

No way. i'd break the window.

And I can't get the door pried back far enough to get a coat hanger in there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Call lock smith or tow truck, at least it's there issue if there break something. Did this on my Ford F-350, went to my mechanic to get my extra keys happened to be a tow truck there dropping off a car, he unlocked my door for $25, I think the lock smiths around here charge about $55 but it's still cheaper than screwing things up, especially since it's not yours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump for update
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well looks like i'll give this a shot and see what happens.

Why? Call a locksmith or go to the dealership and have them cut you a new key.

I don't understand why people post these stupid "help me solve this problem" thread and then refuse to accept the simplest solution. A good locksmith will be there in 20 minutes, pop it in 2 minutes, and then your problem is solved for $20 without jamming shit down in your door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Get one of these  they are like $20 bucks around here.  That bendy V looking rod goes under the window into the door space and than back up and will engage the unlock switches.

I have a kit very similar to this and have been able to help several people with it so far, saving them big $$$ on locksmith's fees.  It came with instructions with advice on which tool(s) to use on which cars as well.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Post this in the Detroit Hometown forum. I'm sure you'll get the info there.

yeah, but they'll just tell you to throw a brick through the window and light it on fire.
I don't think that's what the OP needs.

call a dealer, give them the VIN, they can make or get a key for you.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#36]
A youtube search should get you your answer pretty quickly. It's very simple to break into these trucks. Take a flathead screwdriver and pry the right most edge of the driver side door handle assembly back a fraction of an inch.

The guy who broke into my Silverado using this technique left barely a scratch.

Edit: Now that I've said it's easy to find it on youtube, I can't find it. I quickly searched it up after my truck was broken into.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top