Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/28/2012 7:45:02 PM EDT
dont ya think?  because if you call in sick on saturday or the following monday, and never show up again, people are gonna know you won.  

so, how do you deal with the work situation?

continue to work for a few weeks so people forget about the lotto and then say you got a job somewhere else?  you will still have people figure it out once you go to claim the prize and they see that it was won in your town.   i guess by that time, you should have already moved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I hit the lottery last summer and even showed a couple of my coworkers my ticket.

It was $20 scratch off.

Im rich bitch!
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Give them two weeks notice, your business is your own.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
dont ya think?  because if you call in sick on saturday or the following monday, and never show up again, people are gonna know you won.  

continue to work for a few weeks so people forget about the lotto and then say you got a job somewhere else?  you will still have people figure it out once you go to claim the prize and they see that it was won in your town.   i guess by that time, you should have already moved.

Fake your own death?

If it actually happened I'd just quit. Tell them I'm moving on and prefer to not say what I'm going on to do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

continue to work for a few weeks so people forget about the lotto and then say you got a job somewhere else?  you will still have people figure it out once you go to claim the prize and they see that it was won in your town.  i guess by that time, you should have already moved.

By the time anyone figured it out, I will be in a coastal city with my toes buried in the sand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I would forget to quit....too busy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh, knowing you can quit anytime would make work a whole lot more fun, IMO.

But then I actually enjoy what I do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd just leave. Send an email that night saying I wouldn't be coming in anymore.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy the company, tell your boss you are now THE boss?

Of course, 24 hours after I got my check i would have my toes in the water and ass in the sand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd probably keep my job for a while, I like it there.

I might work less hours though.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd quit but I have been there for years and have been treated very well

I'd make sure the company was flush to keep operating for a few years  if things get even more austere in the economy

and depending on level of money all my co-workers would get at least new vehicles if not new houses

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I would go in for the next 2 weeks with notice.  My company has been good to me and I would not screw them over.  Lots of projects to hand over to other people for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quit?

I would get myself fired in the most awesome way I could think of at the time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]

I would let my boss know I would be leaving only after a replacement was hired and up to speed on all my roles and responsibilities.  

They have treated me well and I believe in karma.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy the company, tell your boss you are now THE boss?

Of course, 24 hours after I got my check i would have my toes in the water and ass in the sand.

I hear that 100%

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quit?

I would get myself fired in the most awesome way I could think of at the time.

This... I wouldn't do anything extreme, but I would slowly push the envelope and see what it takes to get fired... Knowing how that company works, id probably fuck my self into a promotion...
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would let my boss know I would be leaving only after a replacement was hired and up to speed on all my roles and responsibilities.    

They have treated me well and I believe in karma.

This is how I'd handle it but I'd be very tempted to send my resignation in on a postcard from Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]
IDE give some of my co workers cars or something and tell the rest to piss off I'm gtfo
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I would invest in my company.  

Whatever investments bring in I will get 10% of the gross invoice.  That includes the work I do on each invoice per my current obligations.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#20]

In all reality, I would leave with a 6 week notice.

I'd aid my replacement as much as possible
to have a smooth and seamless transition.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
It would be business as usual until the money was actually in my bank account.  I'm a pessimist.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how it is in other states, but in Oregon the names of winners are part of public record. There is no hiding it here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It would be business as usual until the money was actually in my bank account.  I'm a pessimist.    

Yeah, gotta go with this.  Then (since I do respect the folks) an orderly transition out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever i did, IT WOULD BE FUCKING EPIC and people would talk about is for YEARS after i quit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh, I would show up.  For a year, minimum.  Then one day, out of the blue, I would put in my two weeks notice:

"Two weeks from today's date will be my last day of employment here at ABC, INC.  Wizards from the 3rd dimension have called for my services, and I must depart my worldly body.  Though the fate of the universe rests heavily on my shoulders, I feel obligated to the company to provide this notice, prior to my spiritual battle with the ethereal demon spawn of Zurgok 9.  

Sincerely,
Kuraki"

And two weeks later, poof, disappear.

This is a small town.  They would talk about that shit for yeeeaars.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'd send my boss an email that said I had a personal issue come up and wouldn't be in for a couple of days.   Once I got the paperwork processed they'd know something was up when I showed up in a sports car the last two weeks.    Who cares if they know you won?

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Especally if u miss read the ticket thinkin the 5$ ticket is a 50,000 winner- lets just say i know a guy....
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People youve never met would hound you relentlessly to help their niece who has brain cancer and their family cant afford treatments, and she just turned 18 so she cant get .gov aid, and she wants to be a nurse to help Alzheimer patients if she just had the money to beat this cancer thing......until you cant escape the requests and you cant escape the guilt.

Id quit, throw my cell phone in a lake, hire a lawyer to handle selling off my property and dealing with my monetary affairs and hit the road. Get a prepaid phone and only give the # to my super close friends and family....no guilt trips, no bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#29]

i'd stage an elaborate scheme faking my own death.  pictures, death notice in the paper, funeral with me in the casket (using ninja skills to slow my heart rate and breathing to imperceptible levels), burial

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I am calling in rich, due to my severe richness. I will not be in on Monday or any other day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Fifth Amendment, I Plead it!..

ALL I will say is that it would probably NOT make the monthly bulletin...The nightly news maybe, but certainly NOT their little ass kiss email..
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People youve never met would hound you relentlessly to help their niece who has brain cancer and their family cant afford treatments, and she just turned 18 so she cant get .gov aid, and she wants to be a nurse to help Alzheimer patients if she just had the money to beat this cancer thing......until you cant escape the requests and you cant escape the guilt.

Id quit, throw my cell phone in a lake, hire a lawyer to handle selling off my property and dealing with my monetary affairs and hit the road. Get a prepaid phone and only give the # to my super close friends and family....no guilt trips, no bullshit.

What is this guilt you speak of?

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd give them 2 weeks notice. They have been good to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Come in on Monday and pinch a load on the boss's desk or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Give them two weeks notice, your business is your own.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#36]
My employer is pretty cool, I would give them two weeks notice.  I would do something cool for my coworkers.  

It would be interesting if I had a dickhead boss (I don't), I would probably quit by taking a shit on his desk.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I had an employee sort of hit the jackpot.  He came to work one day and wanted to talk.  It turned out an Uncle of his who had no wife or kids left him a 640 acre ranch complete with barns, stock pens and one real cool house.  It was all paid for.  The poor kid was feeling bad about having to quit.  The only thing I had to say to him was, "What are you doing here?  Go enjoy life"
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Walk in and tell everyone you've been offered a position in the islands and that you wish them luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll be living in an enormous concrete pyramid...so I don't really care who knows.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
because if you call in sick on saturday or the following monday, and never show up again, people are gonna know you won.  

That's the most brilliant thing I've read on this board in some time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you hit a $300 million jackpot, you no longer have any super closer friends OR family.   They ALL will have their palms open.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#42]
My boss is a real A-hole (I'm self-employed!)

He'd get no notice and I'd take off with his wife

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck that.

I would buy-out my boss, and then fire a few people.

Then I would quit.

Actually, I think I would just pay my boss to fire someone, then stay around long enough to rub it in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I would still go to work.  
But my filter will be removed, I will stay until they fired me.
All of my internal dialog would become external.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Same here. As soon as it did hit my account however, I'd tell my boss "I hit the lottery, fuck this place."

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:24:04 PM EDT
[#46]
One of my co-workers where I used to work hit the lottery, like $300,000, enough so he could pay everything he owned off, and he farmed part time anyway, so working at the machine shop was just extra money, plus since they paid for his quadruple heart bypass about 4 years earlier he felt he owed them. Although he also lost a hand because of one of the workers there not watching what he was doing so I kind of thought they were even. Well in any event the guy the crushed his hand kissed a lot ass through the years and finally became this guys boss. So one day he was just doing his job, and for no apparent reason other than ass kissing boss being an asshole comes up and just starts ripping him a new one. So he looks at his boss, tells him to fuck off, and says I quit, and walks out the door. I shook the guys hand before he left, because the his boss while not my boss was an asshole, I worked for him at one point when I first started. So that's the only person I have ever known to win money in the lottery, but it's a great story about what he did.

I agree though call in sick, by the time anyone figures it out, you will be on a beach somewhere, having scantly dressed women serve you drinks.  Although from what I have heard it takes a little bit of time for the money to hit your account like week or so, I would still work though I like my job, my filter is already missing, I agree my boss is great I would probably doing something nice like pay off her house she deserves that, I also owe an old co-worker a truck as the was the deal we shook on years ago, if either of us every won the lottery we would by the other a truck under 50K.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck that. I would send a coked out hooker with a note that says......

I quit fuckers!!!!!

AKSig

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#48]
My boss is one of my three best friends. I'd pay off all his shops bills then quit and do donuts in his parking lot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#49]
But what I want to know is; wold you clean out your desk or just leave it all there and walkout?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd stick around long enough to use my money to bang all the hot chicks I work with.  Then I'd leave and never look back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top