Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 5:34:17 PM EDT
Suppose an Earth type planet is discovered outside our solar system. Similar gravity, biosphere, atmosphere, everything needed to sustain human life is there. Varied climate in different regions.
A ship has been built at enormous expense, it is the only one because of generic reason A. It will take 6 months to arrive as we've just invented  generic technology B.
You are offered the oppertunity to travel there along with say 100,000 others (all from first world nations, various skillsets and back grounds). This will be a one way trip, no further waves of colonisation, no contact with Earth. All equipment necessary to build required infrastructure for 1 city (40k people) and a dozen towns (5k people each) will be brought (inc. manufactoring equipment for what ever is needed).

Would you go?
What size settlement would you want to live in? Out in the boonies is also an option. Complete isolation on another continent if you want.
What type of region in terms of climate would you prefer?
What type of political stucture would you want to see in place? You may assume this is left entirely to the colonists.
Add in anything else you think is relevent.

Go.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a while since we did this.

Yeah, I think I would go.

Every new world needs a brewery.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Every small town needs a drunk, I will go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Send all the scumbags there.

Then nuke it from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure ....
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this was a poop thread....
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go.
I like the whole "frontier" idea, and it would be awesome to have modern technology in an unbroken environment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
A bunch of years ago I saw Greg Giraldo in Philadelphia. He stated he was from New York City. "Some people claim New York is the greatest city in the world." He challenged them, by asking if they had been to every city in the world. He asked, "what if there was a city that had 25 people living in it. And 23 of the people were hot chicks who gave blow jobs for a nickel. And the other two... well, they were dudes giving out nickel's." I want to live in this city. Does this city exist in your new world?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Suppose an Earth type planet is discovered outside our solar system. Similar gravity, biosphere, atmosphere, everything needed to sustain human life is there. Varied climate in different regions.

A ship has been built at enormous expense, it is the only one because of generic reason A. It will take 6 months to arrive as we've just invented  generic technology B.

You are offered the oppertunity...

YES!

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go. I'd go for a temperate area, similar to say, north carolina or virginia. This would be to maximize the growing season for my personal garden and minimize energy used for heating and cooling. I'd want to live on the outskirts of one of the smaller towns, but within reasonable travel time of the city.

For buildings, I'd want a mostly underground structure with a modest above ground area, as much a patio/porch type setup as anything else, but year round capable. I would also want a shop, with a covered walkway to it. The shop would be setup for metal working and general fabrication as well as knife making and gunsmithing. LOTS of spare tooling and duplicate machines. Hopefully we've got an electronics shop and folks who know electrical engineering. Eventually other industries would be needed, for abrasives and various materials.

Politically, loose republic, with a small colony you don't need or want much government. Five or six generations later, when the population's multiplied a few times... I'll leave it up to my grand children to decide if they want to change things.

I'd want a bunch of training before we left. More farming info, construction, electronics, small engine repair, kitchen sink chemistry, emergency medicine including midwife training. Mountaineering, some basics of mining and refining ores. I don't need to be an expert, I assume there will be others in the colony who have those skills, but when you're in a small community and potentially out on your own.

I would want to START in the populated area, that doesn't mean I'll definitely stay there. Once we know more about the place I may want to stake out my own large plot of land further out, probably once I had a family with children old enough to help. Maybe setup with a friend with complimentary skills. Put the homes and primary buildings in the same general area, share certain occasional use stuff... Think back to back farms/ranches where the common border is where the home sites are located.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a good chef, and a fine gardener and hunter, I'd go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Send all the scumbags there.

Then nuke it from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure ....

That earth breeds more scumbags, and has all the same problems?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You are offered the oppertunity to travel there along with say 100,000 others (all from first world nations, various skillsets and back grounds). This will be a one way trip, no further waves of colonisation, no contact with Earth. All equipment necessary to build required infrastructure for 1 city (40k people) and a dozen towns (5k people each) will be brought (inc. manufactoring equipment for what ever is needed).

Would you go?
What size settlement would you want to live in? Out in the boonies is also an option. Complete isolation on another continent if you want.
What type of region in terms of climate would you prefer?
What type of political stucture would you want to see in place? You may assume this is left entirely to the colonists.
Add in anything else you think is relevent.

Go.

Twenty years ago I would've gone, but I'm too damn old for that now.  Fuck you for not inventing this wondrous technology sooner.

You'd need some awfully damn cream of the crop people to maintain a civilization at anything approaching our current level with only 100,000 people.  Who would grow their food, drive their trucks, and so on?  I suppose you could have all the heart surgeons and semiconductor engineers do the ditch-digging part-time, but a colony that small, without communications to Earth, would quickly fall back onto surviving on what they brought with them.

If they take along a full dump of all of the available technical literature that's out there, maybe if the women had babies nonstop –– and if there were a Strangelovian 10-1 ratio of attractive, young, healthy, fertile women to men –– you might get enough population to bring things up to our standard of living.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top