Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 6:24:35 PM EDT
Just saw a recruitment commercial it for here in California. Now these may be a great bunch of guys, but almost the whole thing showed shot of guys doing SWAT stuff, shooting ARs, desert ops in full camo, stuff that looked like SEAL exercises, etc. Only a couple training academy shots. NO regular police duty footage (I know, that would be boring). From an excitment stand point it was several grades above anything the Army ever shows in it's commercials. I know they did it that way to induce recruitees, but it was disconcerting because it makes me wonder about the kind of people they are targeting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
flip around the last two words in your title and you'll see what they're getting at.

it's a conspiracy.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
They do it to attract people.

Some of the people it may attract will want to rise to the top. There are guys who are happy if they have met every challenge or at least need to try. Guys may look at that and say, I'm gonna be on SWAT, or on air ops as a Medic, or K9 or detective or Dive Team, some guys have skills, etc.

The last thing you need on a department is a bunch of guys who are retired on duty.

Are the US Marines looking for just anybody? There is a reason why they like to attract very motivated and discplined individuals.

I haven't seen the commercial so I can't comment on the desert ops in full camo part.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The commercials they are showing in New Mexico and west Texas are showing them shooting full-auto M-16's even though they normally carry semi AR's in the patrol cars.

Guess that in P.C. Krapifornia, full-auto just isn't acceptable.

marsh
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The commercials they are showing in New Mexico and west Texas are showing them shooting full-auto M-16's even though they normally carry semi AR's in the patrol cars.

Guess that in P.C. Krapifornia, full-auto just isn't acceptable.

marsh
View Quote

What's your point? Full auto is perfectly acceptable in the part of CA I live in. It's just nearly impossible to legally own one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Just an attempt at humor.  If I offended you, please accept my humble apologies. In my experience here for past ten years, NM State Police are pretty good bunch of guys.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's just say that the NM State Police have quite a rep with Law Enforcement in Arizona for one thing...

If you happen to be in a pursuit in Arizona and get close to the NM border, don't stray across the state line...

You might get in the firing line.

You see the NM State Police have a no pursuit policy... That is, no pursuits go very far.  They just shoot the car until it stops....

No kidding.

So as for the full auto stuff, not surprising at all.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:21:08 AM EDT
[#8]
It's probably no different than the Navy, with their commercials depicting swabbies visiting exotic foreign locales and meeting pretty little foreign hotties, when in reality, you could end up spending your entire hitch in San Diego playing with a filing cabinet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw it yesterday.  Not a bad commercial for a Police Department.  Virginia Beach was hurting for officers a while back, so they made an infomercial.  It had to be THE BEST commercial I had ever seen for any municipal PD.  They used the regular officers for the vocie overs, but went into much detail as it was a 30min show.  I mean they covered all sorts of things like what the basic job was, and showed them in real life doing the things they do.  It then covered the requirements and who you needed to talk to.  

The thing that further impressed me was it also covered the various other portions of the PD so you knew what your carreer progression would be like as well.  It showed details on SWAT, K-9, Air, Water, EOD, Dive and other units within the department.  It even went into brief details on what was required for those areas and what the duty entailed.  To their credit they were obviously targeting those people that were interested in not only police work, but just what it takes to make it a career.  The infomercial was not all SWAT raids and exciting stuff, but none of it was too boring to watch. In the end I came away with a much better understanding of what my city's police do and how they do it, and I was never interested in being a cop.  I just happened to surf into it on a local channel.  It was basically a vehicle for both informing the public of what they do and getting those interested to apply.  All in all it was a well directed advertisement.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top