Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 12:42:32 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I just bought a DPMS AR-15 with a 16" barrel from my local gun dealer.  I've been browsing AR-15 sites now for a few days, and this is by far the best, btw.

First off, the reason I bought the gun is to practice my peepsite aim for the army M-16 qualifications, (I really wanna make expert). Im going into the military police, blah blah blah...

OK.  If I had known all this stuff about AR-15s before I bought it (slaps forehead) I woulda built my own, (saved money, more fun) maybe even bought a pre-ban one.  But what can you do..

Im writing this because I want to put some money into it and get some better after-market parts for it.  (I always trick my toys out).  I was thinking of putting a brake on it earlier, but have read that they are not worth it, and are bad to put on, due to accuracy loss.

Basically, I am asking you AR-15 geneiouses (sp?) to give me suggestions on items to stick on it, such as a longer or better barrel, free floating handgaurd (by the way how does a handgaurd improve accuracy?) better trigger system, lightweight CAR lookalike stock, etc. basically anything that will make it better in terms of accuracy, stability, and reliability.

I'd appreciate any imput or suggestions, testimonials, or what have you, thanks. :)
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Considering the reason you bought it, I'd suggest you shoot it "as is" (except for adding a few mags)for a while before tricking it out...   Get to know it like your hand before deciding what you want...

I've put some stuff on the ones I own but most of it came back off...   The only thing I really want is a good holo sight...  Probably an EOTech...

big
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Anchorage, Alaska.  You guys have shoots up here?

quick question, whats the difference between a freefloating handgaurd and the stock handgaurd?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Practice before you go in for sure but keep this in mind. The M16 you get in basic will be a worn out POS. you will be lucky if it comes close to point of aim let alone functions well.

The rifle i recieved at ft knox in basic was horrible. Handguards had to be held on with tape as they would not stay on. Bore was horrible, and muzzle crown was very bad. That rifle would cycle fine but would do well to hold 12"+ groups at 100yrds.

In basic just worry about qualifying. You will get to requalify when you get to your unit and hopefully get a decent rifle.

mike
View Quote

I've heard many horror stories about the worn out POS equipment our guys in the military are forced to work with.  Someone recently posted that Marine force recon was still using worn out 1911s with the beavertail safeties taped off, for example.  Don't know how bad it really is, but it sure pisses me off.  I'm thinking maybe a 10-cent tax on every Democrat in the country, to be donated to new weapons procurement.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I live in Anchorage, Alaska.  You guys have shoots up here?

quick question, whats the difference between a freefloating handgaurd and the stock handgaurd?
View Quote

Andromax,

A free floating handguard is attached to the receiver but does not touch the barrel anywhere along its length.  This improves accurancy for a number of reasons, such as the shooter can grasp and push or pull on the handguards without affecting the barrel's point of aim, and the barrel can heat up without a handguard connect "pulling" or "twisting" it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Practice before you go in for sure but keep this in mind. The M16 you get in basic will be a worn out POS. you will be lucky if it comes close to point of aim let alone functions well.

The rifle i recieved at ft knox in basic was horrible. Handguards had to be held on with tape as they would not stay on. Bore was horrible, and muzzle crown was very bad. That rifle would cycle fine but would do well to hold 12"+ groups at 100yrds.

In basic just worry about qualifying. You will get to requalify when you get to your unit and hopefully get a decent rifle.

mike
View Quote

I've heard many horror stories about the worn out POS equipment our guys in the military are forced to work with.  Someone recently posted that Marine force recon was still using worn out 1911s with the beavertail safeties taped off, for example.  Don't know how bad it really is, but it sure pisses me off.  I'm thinking maybe a 10-cent tax on every Democrat in the country, to be donated to new weapons procurement.
View Quote

Actually, one of my former Marine buddies was talking the other day about handguns he was issued  (not recon, but a FAST unit).  He said when they were issued the M9, they despised it so much that their CO procured 1911's for them and they were happy once again.  Of course they were brand new .45's, but seems that a recon unit could get what they wanted, making me think they want the .45's.  Disclaimer:  I have no first hand knowledge of this, just what I have heard.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
About the only add-on I can recommend to improve quickness of use in tactical applications would be an extended bolt release to allow you to trip the bolt with your trigger hand. Pic here in the "My AR" album.
[url]http://communities.msn.com/unatco[/url]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard of the horrible equipment problem but I think it is more of an internet story than based in reality.  When I went to Fort Leonard Wood, MO in 1999 (That is the MP school for the Army now and the same place Andromax is going to) my M16A2 (buttstock number 180) was pretty new.  I shot a score of 36 out of 40 on the qualification test, and I think it jammed once (using blanks at the time)  I scored a 49 out of 50 on the M9 course, never jammed.  I did not see any beat up or shitty weapons.  We did carry around beat up M60s on FTX, but we were the last class to carry them before they were going to be replaced by SAWs.  When I got back from Basic, my Guard unit had just recieved probably 40 brand new SAWs, 20 new MK-19s, and we are going to be getting new M4s next year (I would rather stick the M16A2 but my opinion doesn't count)
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Neat pictures, wiskeybravo. I love that one of the spectre gunship.

Thats cool that there are members in Alaska.  And that would be sweet to hit the range with ya shadowblade.  I move back into the dorms next month at UAA.  Right now im staying in Palmer for the summer, and working, though I do get a bunch of free time.  Just let me know if you wanna go shoot sometime, I'm always down, my email is [email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top