BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2002 5:10:00 AM EDT
I couldn't resist. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
You couldn't go wrong with a German Shepard.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Border collie would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You could when they develop hip dysplasia by age 2... [:(]

I'd go with a Border Collie.. I'd rather have an energetic, intelligent, FOCUSED dog that is ready to get the job done.    
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Whichever breed tastes best, that's the one you'll want with you when you run out of MREs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
even though i dont own one, id say American Pit Bull Terrier. apart from being great guard/attack dogs they kinda taste like chicken.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whichever breed tastes best, that's the one you'll want with you when you run out of MREs.
View Quote

I was reading an article about Lewis and Clark this week. They stopped at an Indian village to trade some goods for food. Instead of buying fish they bought all the dogs to butcher. The "white men" came and ate all the dogs!

Damn...[puke]

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
There is only one answer... [b][red]American Pit Bull Terrier[/b][/red].

The absolute BEST fighting dog.

Very protective of it's family.

NO history of hip dysplasia.

Reasonably free of genetic weakness.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
[size=6]SSSSHHHHhhhhhh!![/size=6] Be vewy vewy quiet.........a beagle wood wok good fo hunting wabbits!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems to me if you're talking about eating your SHTF dog, then the shit has penetrated the fan's motor and it's fixin' to self-destruct.  Then you're really up a creek without a canoe. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Someone already beat me to it, but I was gonna say daschunds come in packages that are more likely to be eaten before all the meat spoils.

As for pitts...
[list]
[*]They are territorial, but do not respect surveyed boundry lines.[/*]
[*]Except in the fact that they crap in my yard instead of my neighbors.[/*]
[*]They moan all night long.[/*]
[*]One of the two I STILL don't trust - if I didn't break eye contact with this dog, it would attempt to dismember me. His other pitt is fine.[/*]
[*]Their owners are severely plagued by "my widdle doggy just wants to pway with you" syndrome. (Yes, she just wants to play with my intestines.)[/*]
[*]Despite all their vaunted advantages as guard dogs, my car, my lawn mower, and a gas can have all dissapeared from my house, and not so much as a whimper from the dogs.[/*]
[/list]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an Uncle who hunts coyotes with Greyhounds... Apparently they are just about the finest hunting dogs... Aggressive as hell and smart... Like Radar Guided Missiles on Coyotes...

Ben
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#15]
little black rifle, and 2 big black dogs, rott's, and they bite harder than a pitt
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
rott's, and they bite harder than a pitt
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!

whatever [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[*]Despite all their vaunted advantages as guard dogs, my car, my lawn mower, and a gas can have all dissapeared from my house, and not so much as a whimper from the dogs.[/*]
[/list]
View Quote

Maybe the dog did it. [:D]

A friend of mine had a Pitt several years ago who absolutley HATED tires. It would chase down anything with tires. One time his dad got too close while mowing the lawn and it took him an hour and a half to wrestle the lawn mower away from the dog.

I would nominate a very big, very hungery dog as the best SHTF-type of dog.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Similar to the border collie, but a more excellent choice is the [i]Aussie shepherder[/i]

Just because.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I would definitely buy the German Sheps for SHTF protection dog.  Akita is my second choice.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Very large Dobermans.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I would want one of the larger hunting breeds. Something big enough to be a protection and work animal (the dog is gonna pull your SHTF wheel barrell right). But capable on helping fill the stew pot too.

I dont know if a sight hunter or sent hunter would be better? Maybe a mixed breed?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#22]
The two hardest biting dogs are German Shepherds and Black Labradors. Black Labs can even bite harder than a German Shepherd.

One day our neighbors very aggressive 4 year old male German Shepherd got loose and came into our yard running straight for my 4 year old brother looking like it was going to attack him. Our 7 year old female black lab intercepted him and tore him up really good.
She almost tore his tongue out of his head and also lacerated him up. They had to get his tongue stitched back together and 3 other places he had to get stitches. Our lab got bit a few times but she did not need any stitching up.

I taught one of our male black labs that we used for duck and goose hunting to be a guard dog. He turned out being a very good guard dog
and quite aggressive with strangers. He was the most lovable, laid back, spoiled dog, around our 4 family members. But he would not let anybody else come near the house without our consent. This dog tore the shit out of 2 different male German Shepherds.

Never underestimate the potential of a Black Lab. In my opinion, they are the greatest all around dog that a person could have.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A dog is not an alarm system. A dog is merely a doorbell.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
What you need is a ninja in a dog outfit.
The bad thing is they will still chase cats(tasts like chicken)
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#26]
You would really have to search for the right one, but an aggressive Great Dane with no hip problems or genetic defects (I admit they are hard to find)
My dog's handler had a 185 lb Male Great Dane, I saw it get mad and kill a German Shepard in about 5 seconds, tore out the GS's throat.  Also, as someone pointed out, you could survive for a month off of the meat the Dane would provide once you got hungry enough to eat it.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Even though my Rott/Shep mix would do quite nicely, I have to cast another vote for a Black Lab. I think it's probably the best overall SHTF dog since it is arguably the most versatile.
I don't want any Pits around - I had to shoot one once. I know many Pits are friendly and all that, but I have also seen seemingly stable, friendly Pit Bulls suddenly turn. One friend of mine had four of them, all brothers and sisters, and the oldest male was a psycho. He corrupted the others as well. My friend finally dug a big hole in his back field, brought the dog out, lured it into the hole with food, shot it, and buried it.  The other dogs immediately chilled out, but I still don't trust them. I wouldn't leave my kid alone in the room with them (if I had a kid, that is).
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
someone once tried to punch my little rot once, it grabbed his hand, and drug im across the yard, tug of war is his favorite game, and they do bite harder than a pit bull, the do not lokc their jaws, but the actual bite is harder
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=falcon2&album_id=78925&image_id=2&courtesy=1[/img].
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=falcon2&album_id=78925&image_id=3&courtesy=1[/img].
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#31]
If things got real rough, I'd say any dog that's big enough to feed your family for a few days[:D]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=falcon2&album_id=78925&image_id=4&courtesy=1[/img].
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Posted this on the 'Road Warrior' thread an figured I'd post it over here as some form of non-biased reference material.

Top Guard Dogs
Bull mastiff
Doberman pinscher
Rottweiler
Komondor
Puli
Giant schnauzer
German shepherd
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Kuvasz
American Staffordshire terrier

Top Watch Dogs
Rottweiler
German shepherd
Scottish terrier
West Highland white terrier
Miniature schnauzer
Yorkshire terrier
Cairn terrier
Chihuahua
Airedale terrier
Poodle (standard/miniature)

The Worst Watch Dogs
Bloodhound
Newfoundland
Saint Bernard
Basset hound
Bulldog
Old English sheepdog
Clumber spaniel
Irish wolfhound
Scottish deerhound
Pug

Coren said most of the top guard dog breeds were manipulated though breeding for strength and size.

The bull mastiff, for example, was "designed to be heavy enough to knock a man down, but still fast enough to reach him if he's running away," Coren said.

The Doberman, the breed most often found in department stores after hours, was first bred by an Austrian tax collector who wanted to create an independent guard dog. They don't need to hear a command from their masters to react.

The Rottweiler, ranked third because of its awesome jaw strength, is, pound for pound, the strongest dog there is, Coren said. He considers its jaw, with a bite strength of 2,000 pounds per square inch, a lethal weapon.

[url]www.apbnews.com/safetycenter/family/1999/05/17/dogs0517_01.html[/url]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#34]
there are many breeds that excell at certain tasks,but none are as versatile to as many tasks as the german sheperd
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Belgion Malnois would be the best, its faster than the GSD and is like the energizer bunny, he keeps going and going.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I couldn't resist. [;)]
View Quote

SHTF TEOTKAWKI   BOHICA  

I wonder how many topics you would find on this site if you did a 9 month back search for these words.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Here's my choice.

[img=left]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid24/p2cf06b2402b7dbb58f2d519f1cc579da/fd9583f6.jpg[/img=left]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Preferably one that'd potentially serve the same purpose as a Ton Ton in Empire Strikes Back.

Other than that, controlled barking, mild temperment around kids, and a keen nose are the deciding factors.

Woof Woof.  Actually.  Up here in Maine, we have a significant population of what we like to call "BMW"s.  Big Maine Women.  Some of them look like big dogs, do they count?[;)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I would choose a Canary Dog, They are like a 200lb PitBull, as long as I didn't have to feed it, then I could choose a beagle or a tea cup poodle (Just stuff him in my cargo pocket).
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Black labs make good hunting dogs and gaurd dogs with the temperment to be around kids and families. My dog will be 2 years old in nov. and he only weighs in at 85lbs and still growing but not too much farther till he is full grown. Just like one of the family who does not seem to like strangers much but his one weakness is he loves any little kid's who want to play with him.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I like large breeds, but what would some of you guys do with a large breed dog if the food supply dried up?  

If the S really HTF, I don't think the dog food is going to last longer than anything else in the grocery stores.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have a dog that [i]doesn't[/i] consume more food than the average person?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll add my vote to the Border Collie crowd.  Extremely intelligent and alert.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Probably a Springer Spaniel, that is what President Bush has and he is the SHTF CinC.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I own an Akita/German Shepard mix. I have a 6ft high fence around the yard to hold him in, and keep people out.

All I can say is: "Bring it on!"

Av.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I gotta go with EricE:

Meet my [red]APBT[/red][b]Roshi[/b]. The only reason he has a leash on is so that he would freakin' stay still for this pic. 100% protective of the family, and he seems to be getting along with our new Pekinesee puppy(6 weeks old)
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Waverunner%2FRoshi1%2Ejpg[/img]
[img]ak.ar15.com/members/albums/Waverunner%2FPrincess%2Ejpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#48]
It would be a tough decision for me but I would probably go the route of a Lab, though I would choose to die before I ever cut my dog open to stay warm or ate it to stay "fat".
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Forget a dog....a nice big black leopard could go out on night recon.  It would live longer then most dogs too.  Just don't piss it off too much.  Leopard eats first and humans eat leftovers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#50]
PUPPIES...girls love puppies.

Even though the SHTF, we still have needs.

The breed does not even matter, GIRLS LOVE PUPPIES...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top