Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2012 4:13:15 PM EDT
Thats on some value pack Federal 9mm I picked up at Wally world this weekend.

What's up with that?

Anyone know why?  

I think I'll pull a bullet and see if I can see what they're getting at...
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The ammo marked like that won't reliably cycle a ported gun, or so I've read on the inter tubes.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The ammo marked like that won't reliably cycle a ported gun, or so I've read on the inter tubes.  

So...  it's reduced recoil?
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Vented gases reduces pressure, lessening the energy required to cycle the action.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the internet says, but only the manufacturer could give you a definitive answer.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I suppose I have the answer, from pulling a round apart.

The bullets are not traditional jacketed lead.   They're those sort of copper "electro-plated" bullets... like Rainier sells.

I'd guess the warning is because with plating that thin, they think there would be a worry about shaving copper out the ports.

Just my guess.

ETA:  Just looked at velocity data...  yup.   Like Rainier bullets these things are loaded to lead bullet levels (i.e., lower velocities).

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
So they're jacking the price up and selling plated bullets now?
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think these were a little cheaper than Winchester value packs.

But yeah, these are electroplated bullets.  I took a pocket knife to one...  def a very thin plate of copper over swagged lead-wire formed bullet cores.  

I'll let everyone know whether they're accurate and cycle my PX4 properly.  I suspect they will –– 9mm guns are pretty forgiving over a broad range of loads, and after all this is FMJ range blasting ammo... but...  geez.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The cheap Federal 9mm has used plated bullets for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the differance between FMJ and " plated bullets"?
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the differance between FMJ and " plated bullets"?

FMJ has a thick copper jacket that is formed and into which the lead core is cast.   Good structural integrity and uniformity.

Electroplating is where they swag the bullet from lead wire and then put a couple microns, maybe more, of copper on by electroplating and the reswag to size.   Just a gnats ass better than shooting lead.    These are loaded to lower velocity than standard 9mm FMJ based on the velocity data, for example.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

or a Glock Gen 4 on a bad day...

It's some weak stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, I suppose I have the answer, from pulling a round apart.

The bullets are not traditional jacketed lead.   They're those sort of copper "electro-plated" bullets... like Rainier sells.

SPEER GOLD DOTS ARE ELECTROPLATED

There is nothing inherently wrong with electroplated bullets.  In fact, Federal Fusion RIFLE BULLETS are also electroplated.  MOST of Speer/CCI's pistol bullets & ammo (Gold Dot, Lawman, Blazer) are electroplated.  They CAN be accurate and of excellent quality - it depends on HOW its done (Speer does it right).

OTOH, I shoot competition with ported & comped pistols.  Some ports - especially something like a .357 Sig, will blast chunks of plating off the base of plated bullets.  When I am standing right next to these guns going off (as is required of a Range Officer in competition) I've been hit by these small flying pieces (not dangerous, but glad I was smart enough to wear eye protection at all times).

The company know lots of gomers don't bother with eye protection.  Said gomers would probably turn around & try to sue.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Vented gases reduces pressure, lessening the energy required to cycle the action.

Don't you mean available?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top