Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/20/2012 10:09:43 PM EDT
Lets say you're just driving along and doing nothing illegal and a police officer happens to be following you. If they're bored can they run your license plate just because? Or do they need probable cause first?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, of course they can run it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
You high son?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Do the automatic plate readers on cruisers have PC for every car they run?  The answer to your question is the same.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
They dont even need probable cause to search your car or arrest you.  They do what they wanna.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Since the tag is officially state property - yes they can ascertain if the already gathered information associated with that tag is correct. There is no right to privacy for information which is public.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Although I had a lawyer tell me it was a "search" that required probable cause, its not. While he graduated law school, I don't think he ever passed the bar exam.

Yes, that cop behind you at the stop light is running your plate on his MDT.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They dont even need probable cause to search your car or arrest you.  They do what they wanna.

Since when?

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Not only can they do that, many municipalities are getting "plate readers" which can ID, read, and look up information on any plate that is in camerashot of the lens. It is legal because it looks up every plate it sees.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
yup, then run your DL, and check for warrants. and also see what other vehicles registor to the owner.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
They can run your plate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
That's why we cruise through hotel parking lots on night shift and run plates too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
No PC needed to run the tag.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since the tag is officially state property - yes they can ascertain if the already gathered information associated with that tag is correct. There is no right to privacy for information which is public.

Does that mean I can run every plate I see for a FOIA request?

Or is it that there is no right to privacy for state owned property?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Those plate readers are eventually going to,be installed all over so .gov can track anyone's movement without a warrant.

I've been told I was crazy for saying the same thing.

While the conclusion may be accurate, I have a problem with the path they took to get there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Those plate readers are eventually going to,be installed all over so .gov can track anyone's movement without a warrant.

Not good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that mean I can run every plate I see for a FOIA request?

Or is it that there is no right to privacy for state owned property?

You almost certainly can if you go through the right channels. It's going to be time consuming though. I might have to find out the process here just for grins.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
No pc needed.  It's in public view.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]
as it has been mentioned above that no PC is needed to run your LP number.

there is a reason not to just run numbers b/c you can.  what if you are a LEO on the end of your shift all is well and you are ready to go home in 15 min.   you run the plate number on the car ahead of you and it comes back they are public enemy number one.  you attempt to stop the car to apprehend said subject and then all hell breaks loose.  when you run the number isn't the LEO a little obligated to make the stop?   what if he simply wanted to go home?   i don't know how many would admit to it, but i bet there are a few that would or have learned to resist running LP numbers just for the hell of it at the end of their shifts.  

anyone care to chime in?

S

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#20]
um, no. They can run anybody's, anytime.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

there is a reason not to just run numbers b/c you can.  what if you are a LEO on the end of your shift all is well and you are ready to go home in 15 min.   you run the plate number on the car ahead of you and it comes back they are public enemy number one.  you attempt to stop the car to apprehend said subject and then all hell breaks loose.  when you run the number isn't the LEO a little obligated to make the stop?   what if he simply wanted to go home?   i don't know how many would admit to it, but i bet there are a few that would or have learned to resist running LP numbers just for the hell of it at the end of their shifts.  

anyone care to chime in?

S

Definitely happens I'm sure.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#22]
So... the question is, do all departments have the same shift schedule?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lets say you're just driving along and doing nothing illegal and a police officer happens to be following you. If they're bored can they run your license plate just because? Or do they need probable cause first?

Yes they can run it. You are on a public roadway afterall. Anything plainly visible is GTG.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I bet those cops got SCMODS
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I can attest for a fact that in DeWitt County, IL, a certain sheriff's deputy (son of the sheriff) will run your plates while he is waiting in line behind you at a drive-thru.

That's not so bad, until your supervisor hears it over a scanner, and asks why you were pulled-over during lunch-break....and you have no clue what he is talking about. Which makes him think  you are lying when you say you weren't pulled-over.

I was lucky. The supervisor was a friend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#27]
They can remove your plate, sharpen it on the sidewalk, and then use it to cut your dick off.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

Simple solution: fresnel lens over the plate.

It's still completely readable and not obscured in any way - but only if you're directly behind the car.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's scary what we've come to expect as the norm.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

They can remove your plate, sharpen it on the sidewalk, and then use it to cut your dick off.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not necessarily, a semi local LEO got a three day paid vacation when it was found out he was running plates on classic cars so you could contact the registered owners to try to buy the cars from them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

It's still completely readable and not obscured in any way - but only if you're directly behind the car.

That sort of thing is explicitly verboten here.

So are the ones designed to be opaque to a camera flash.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not good.

That sort of thing is explicitly verboten here.

So are the ones designed to be opaque to a camera flash.

i think the thing to do is use some of the spray that takes away the "reflective" properties of your license plate. but here is how to do it so they don't become too suspicious....  dont just spray the whole plate, spray certain areas to make one letter or number look like another one.....  for example take the bottom horizontal bar off of an "E" to make it an "F"  make an "8" look like a "6"...  that sort of thing....  and don't drown it in the spray, just use little light sprays to make it look like the paint or the coating is defective....  

S

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Had a WSP pace me last night for about 10 seconds on the interstate, then he moved along. No doubt he ran me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#38]
The plate readers aren't linking to DMV with every plate they read. They're just a technologically updated version of the old "hot sheet"

. They read the characters and compare them to an internal list of suspended and stolen vehicles that gets downloaded from DMV.

As for the OP, figure out the differences between "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion".

To answer your question, officially we need  a reason to run your plate. An observed violation, etc.

Quoted:

By the end of your shift you're busy trying to wrap up loose ends to past calls, not create new ones.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 1:56:52 AM EDT
[#39]
There's also a button in the cruisers labeled "hack database" where it hacks in to a random database around the world and makes you a criminal.

True story.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The plate readers aren't linking to DMV with every plate they read. They're just a technologically updated version of the old "hot sheet"

. They read the characters and compare them to an internal list of suspended and stolen vehicles that gets downloaded from DMV.

As for the OP, figure out the differences between "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion".

To answer your question, officially we need  a reason to run your plate. An observed violation, etc.

How would plate readers fit into the RS requirement?
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when?

An officer only has to say he felt a security risk to him or her. At that point the officer can search anywhere in your vehicle that you have easy access to from the seat you are in.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How would plate readers fit into the RS requirement?

You don't need RS to use the plate reader. The plate reader isn't "running" the plate in a traditional sense of 'running a plate" through DMV. Its simply comparing the recognized plate charecters against a digitized list of suspended and stolen plates. As I said in my last post, its simply an updated version of the old hot sheets we'd get stuffed in our mailboxes. The difference is technological. Instead of using Mk 1 eyeball, we use a camera and software.

Quoted:

An officer only has to say he felt a security risk to him or her. At that point the officer can search anywhere in your vehicle that you have easy access to from the seat you are in.

There have also been states that have placed restrictions on the grabable area searches you describe.

Quoted:
So... the question is, do all departments have the same shift schedule?

No
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#43]
'Round these parts they can run any plate they want. The reason can be as simple as to check the status of the registration to verify it's not expired.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:11:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when?

Stop spewing bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily, a semi local LEO got a three day paid vacation when it was found out he was running plates on classic cars so you could contact the registered owners to try to buy the cars from them.

Running them is good to go, like I said. Running them and then contacting the owners to make offers on their vehicles is obviously not GTG.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when?

You are wrong. Wingspan search went away a while ago. Don't talk about shit you know nothing about.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#47]
You have no reasonable expectation of privacy for your license plate.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I think people should have to wear their social security numbers big enough for the police to "run".

For safety.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:40:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Just post yours here. Someone will help you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:47:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's why we cruise through hotel parking lots on night shift and run plates too.

A hotel parking lot is private property. Any guest or employee has no legal responsibility to display ANY plate while the vehicle is not being operated on a public road.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top