Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 2:31:58 PM EDT
Well miniguns arnt cheap as everyone knows, but I just was thinking, which isnt something I do very often: Has anyone ever made a air powered  Minigun that shoots BBs? Cause even though there BBs, it would still be a blast to shoot. I know they have those weak electric airsoft guns out there, but im talking metal bbs at high speed, real high speed.  I figure use a large air compressor for a constant air source, and have a hopper on top to feed the bbs. The hard part is figuring out a way to get a superhigh rate of fire.  Ive built several ARs and mess with paintball guns alot, so I think I have the skills to build one, if it hasnt already been done. Im working on some plans in Autocad right now, so if anybody has any suggestions, or knows whos done one or where to get one, please share. And by the way, would this be legal? **hem**destructive device**hem** [heavy]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you've been eatin too much lebannon balogne, Son.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC Para-Ord originally started as a company that made BB machineguns. Why not email them and ask?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen the airsoft Miniguns that run off of a lantern battery before. They are neat but a waste of a thousand bucks or so to get one (plus you have to build them yourself I'm told). A Minigun that fired the little copper BBs would be pretty neat but the guts required to get rotary barrels to fire off of air pressure would be a nightmare. The real minis use the battery to roll the barrels and active the firing mechansim while the belt of ammo just sucks right in. I'd think that most of the system for a BB mini would have to be rubber gaskets and the like to supply the air feed and would wear out rather quickly. I'd love to see one, though!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well miniguns arnt cheap as everyone knows, but I just was thinking, which isnt something I do very often: Has anyone ever made a air powered  Minigun that shoots BBs? Cause even though there BBs, it would still be a blast to shoot. I know they have those weak electric airsoft guns out there,
View Quote

You mean [URL=http://www.montysminiguns.com/AirSoftPage.htm] like this one? [/URL]

Some of those Airsoft guns aren't as weak as you might think... at least not stock versions. The more enthusiastic Airsoft guys swap out the gear mechanisms with aftermarket kits that will increase the rate of fire and muzzle energy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Its been done - I've seen it on a website or two, and I have video of it.  As far as I know, its completely legal on the federal level as it isn't a "firearm".  I don't have a link, but if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it.  As I recall the price was still a few thousand bucks though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll have to do some research in the archives of SGN. Someone use to sell a full auto BB gun, powered by a can of freon. The ads disappeared after all the new regs came in concerning freon. Too bad, cause these were cheap to buy, too.

Anyway, contact SGN and see if they can't dredge up an old ad. Maybe the company is still around in another form, or maybe you can get a used one somewhere.

NMSight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top